A Cultural Hermeneutics of The Great Controversy

Up to this point in my series of articles on The Great Controversy, I have suggested that its fundamental division is in two parts: historical and prophetic. I then divided each main part into three sub-sections, according to the scheme outlined below. I then examined each section in more detail. In both the historical and prophetic parts, the three sections identified are strongly theological. Now, Ellen White is not articulating a conceptual and systematic theology but rather a narrative and prophetic one, typical of her approach. On the one hand, she uses narrative—for the plural and somewhat dispersive presentation of themes, characters, and events. On the other hand, she writes prophetically—for the radical, compact, and absolute use of language typical of the prophetic oracles.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11688
1 Like

A cultural reading of the Great Controversy sounds challenging but could help to enlarge a too narrow church centered understanding of this book we have developed in Adventism even though this cultural reading should not exclude or diminish the religious perspective that is central in the end time events.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.