A Letter to the Church

"It is working upon wrong principles that has brought the cause of God into its present embarrassment. The people have lost confidence in those who have the management of the work. Yet we hear that the voice of the Conference is the voice of God. Every time I have heard this, I have thought it was almost blasphemy. The voice of the Conference ought to be the voice of God, but it is not, because some in connection with it are not men of faith and prayer, they are not men of elevated principle. There is not a seeking of God with the whole heart; there is not a realization of the terrible responsibility that rests upon those in this institution to mold and fashion minds after the divine similitude.—Manuscript 37, 1901, p. 8" EGW

“Again and again I repeat the warning: Never place as president of a conference [a] man who supposes that such a position gives him the power to dictate and control the consciences of others. It is natural for man to have a large estimate of self; old habits wrestle for the supremacy; but the man who occupies a position of trust should not glorify himself. 9MR 175.1” EGW

The spirit of domination is extending to the presidents of our conferences. If a man is sanguine of his own powers and seeks to exercise dominion over his brethren, feeling that he is invested with authority to make his will the ruling power, the best and only safe course is to remove him, lest great harm be done, and he lose his own soul, and imperil the souls of others. “All ye are brethren.” This disposition to lord it over God’s heritage will cause a reaction unless these men change their course. Those in authority should manifest the spirit of Christ. They should deal as He would deal with every case that requires attention—[Testimonies to Ministers and Gospel Workers, 362]” EGW

You may be exalted to heaven as far as position is concerned, but position does not make the man. Do you obey the commandments of God? Are you one with God? Are you sanctified by the Spirit of God? Those who fill positions in the Conference must have the righteousness of Christ. This gives a man a power in his work. GCB April 3, 1901, par. 16” EGW

No group of people are to be blindly followed as approved of God-as if being used by God at one point means they must be right on every point. Everything must be constantly compared to the conditions of God’s word since God-not man- is the standard of behavior. God Himself through the power of the Holy Spirit is the only urim and thummim we have. “And when they had brought them, they set them before the council[ or we could say compliance committee ]. And the high priest [or conference president of the Seventh-Day Israelites] asked them, saying, 'Did we not strictly command you not to teach in this name? And look, you have filled Jerusalem with your doctrine, and intend to bring this Man’s blood on us! But Peter and the other apostles answered and said: ‘We ought to obey God rather than men.’” Acts 5:27-29. They didn’t say, well God gave the high priest the urim and the thummim so we must obey him, no we must obey God.

(Allen Shepherd) #22

Well!

A view from the other side. Refreshing!

I congratulate the Spectrum folks for allowing one with a different view to state their opinion. I know that most here will not agree, but at least there is now a “spectrum” of views. I am encouraged. Thanks.

(Melissa Kristine Walden) #23

Praise God. Some are seeing light

(Johnny Carson) #24

Well, technically that’s not true, but that aside, the last half of your statement is beside the point.

We can agree to disagree up to and including continuing to ordain women to the Gospel ministry as per the demand of the Holy Spirit’s calling of the individual, in spite of the opinions or unholy demands placed by others. Any decision to disunite will always rest heavily and squarely upon those who deny conscience and choose to follow the commandments of man rather than God.

(Melissa Kristine Walden) #25

WOW!!
Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable!!! Truth is painful

(Melissa Kristine Walden) #26

Mistaken identity theft

(Melissa Kristine Walden) #27

Thank you for plain truth brother

(Spectrumbot) #28

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.