A Spatial Theology of the Sabbath (Part 4) – A World of Living Things

Sorry. The words are too pompous. I couldn’t get past the second paragraph.

2 Likes

His intellectual and academic words encourage us to expand our understanding and vocabulary.

Think of it as a challenge. :wink:

2 Likes

Yes, I had to rub the sleep out of my eyes and tackle it for a second time; but it is doable - but this one I find not worth it. Which, I don’t feel happy saying because I usually like hearing from Hanz Guitirrez. I guess it’s another sample of Adventist compartmentalizing. I wish more SDAs would notice the word “New” in the last part of their Bibles.

1 Like

So was that why I was the first to comment on his article?
And the comments that followed were about my comments rather than his content.

If that article is so thought provoking like a dazzling treasure surrounded by a pride of roaring lions, please tell me what I missed :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Bill –
Yes, Rabbi Abraham Heschel presents a very lovely view of
Sabbath keeping and ones emotional and mental status as one
looks forward to the setting sun, the lighting of the candles, and
the invitation they provide for spending “the day” with God and
community.
Seventh day Adventists don’t have traditions that make the Sabbath
special.
The Conservative Jewish Book of Common Prayer has this–
“Grant me the privilege of the liberating joy of Shabbat, the privilege
of truly tasting the delight of Shabbat. Be undisturbed by sadness,
sorrow, sighing. Help me expand the dimensions of all Shabbat
delights. Help me to expand the joy of Shabbat to the other days of
the week, until I attain the goal of deep joy always, the full joy of Your
Presence, the bliss of being close to You forever.”

3 Likes

You weren’t the first to comment…there were at least 4 people before you.

I shouldn’t have to tell an intelligent man such as yourself “what you missed”. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think that the point is that as Westerners we tend to be “foreground-oriented”, and as such we tend to live in the imaginary constructs of past and the future and forget certain necessary details of now.

This SNL skit is a metaphor for that:

It seems dumb, but it does carry a profound commentary of how we tend to isolate individuals from their environment as we fixate on idea of something and live in our imaginatinary assumptions.

2 Likes

Yes. The words are pompous… and not your expectation that every writer should adjust his style and vocabulary to fit your preferences :slight_smile: .

BTW, is president Pence still on his schedule to take over in April? Or will he be a secret president, passing the secret Sunday Laws? :wink:

1 Like

A delightful companion to Heschel is The Jewish Sabbath: A Renewed Encounter by Pinchas Hacohen Peli (1930-1989). Peli explores the Sabbath and offers that every generation must interpret the Sabbath anew. “Tell me what your Sabbath is like”, Rabbi Peli writes in his preface, “and I will tell you who you are and what kind of person you are.”

2 Likes

Steve,
Growing up in an SDA pastor’s home I remember that as the time approached for Friday sunset the children had to help getting our bedrooms in order, we shined our shoes (that was my job), picked from the clothes we wanted to wear to church the next day that our mother had washed and ironed and prepared for a short 5-10 minute family gathering. We would start with a hymn or two, my dad then read scriptures and welcomed the Sabbath with a prayer. We would then gather at the kitchen table for a dinner and a special dessert treat.
On Saturday afternoons it was the reverse so to speak there was no preparation but we had a similar sunset family gathering. This was our tradition and we kept until our early 20s always resuming it after arriving from boarding academies and college. As an adult I realized the value of this family communion we had and we ourselves started a similar, if more flexible tradition of family time.
Now that my parents are long gone and our boys have fled the nest I still sit back and remember the melodies and words of some of the hymns – sorry this one is not the same in English

2 Likes

Nice to see you on the internet, if I do not see you often in our fair city. :slight_smile:

1 Like

How many of his essays have you read in the past say five years? I bet even Hans can tone down the rhetoric for us mere mortals; It is not the words that I object to but rather the ideas-especially knowing his role in the SDA organization.

1 Like

Why do we insist on saying THE sabbath when Lev 23 is jam-packed with sabbaths? Our reason for dumping all but one is outstandingly weak. (In my humble (?) opinion.)

The real spatial problem is that we haven’t a clue where the sabbath dateline is so we don’t know when and where the sabbath begins.

I think I should repeat Ellen White’s response to this very problem:

Now, my sister, … I write … to tell you that we are not to give the least credence to the day line theory. It is a snare of Satan brought in by his own agents to confuse minds. You see how utterly impossible for this thing to be, that the world is all right observing Sunday, and God’s remnant people are all wrong. This theory of the day line would make all our history for the past fifty-five years a complete fallacy. But we know where we stand… . (3SM, p.318, para.4)

But burying our heads in the sand isn’t standing, at all.

HER RESPONSE WAS A COPOUT that proves that the objection was valid, and still remains unanswered.

It’s the basis of the sabbath mess in Samoa.

3 Likes

Am I a victim of technology? or sloppy commentary?
My computer was taken over by ransomeware in January. It was a challenge to get it up and running again. Lost access to my passwords and got locked out several discussions.

When I made my “solo” comment, my screen did not display the four comments that came before me. Or I thought they were part of the article. Either way I was wrong and apologize for my erroneous comment.

If I am not the target audience that the writer was aiming at, so be it. I do not enjoy reading, and I will not read what I do not enjoy. Reading is a chore that I must do to learn facts and when it becomes needlessly laborious or boring, I move on.

Allow me to share some clues from Ellen White’s Spirit of prophecy writings:

The “time of trouble, such as never was,” is soon to open upon us; and we shall need an experience which we do not now possess and which many are too indolent to obtain. It is often the case that trouble is greater in anticipation than in reality; but this is not true of the crisis before us. The most vivid presentation cannot reach the magnitude of the ordeal. In that time of trial, every soul must stand for himself before God. “Though Noah, Daniel, and Job” were in the land, “as I live, saith the Lord God, they shall deliver neither son nor daughter; they shall but deliver their own souls by their righteousness.” Ezekiel 14:20 (GC 622.4).

Jesus rose up, and shut the door, and entered the Holy of Holies, at the 7th month 1844; but Michael’s standing up (Daniel 12:1) to deliver his people, is in the future (WLF 12.4).

Michael had not stood up, and that the time of trouble, such as never was, had not yet commenced. The nations are now getting angry, but when our High Priest has finished His work in the sanctuary, He will stand up, put on the garments of vengeance, and then the seven last plagues will be poured out (EW 36.1).

“The commencement of that time of trouble,” here mentioned does not refer to the time when the plagues shall begin to be poured out, but to a short period just before they are poured out, while Christ is in the sanctuary. At that time, while the work of salvation is closing, trouble will be coming on the earth, and the nations will be angry, yet held in check so as not to prevent the work of the third angel. At that time the “latter rain,” or refreshing from the presence of the Lord, will come, to give power to the loud voice of the third angel, and prepare the saints to stand in the period when the seven last plagues shall be poured out (EW 85.3).

The light that Daniel received direct from God was given especially for these last days. The visions he saw by the banks of the Ulai and the Hiddekel…are now in process of fulfillment, and all the events foretold will soon have come to pass (4BC 1166.5).

I was by the side of the great river, which [is] HiddekelMichael, one of the chief princes, came to help me (Daniel 10:4, 13).

As I read EGW

1. Michael stood in 1844, but that is not the final complete meaning of Daniel 12:1.
  2. Michael stands to bring on the Time of Trouble.
  3. after the Time of Trouble begins the latter rain comes.
  4. Michael stands and puts on the garments of vengeance and comes to rescue the saints.
    Jesus stood in 1844 to begin the Investigative Judgment…OK
    Jesus stands at the end of the IJ to return for His saints…OK
    Why is Michael called ONE OF THE CHIEF PRINCES?
    Who is the Michael that stands to begin the Time of Trouble…My study says Michael Pence.
    The whole study is in “The Last Trump Shall Sound: Michael Stands”

In a locked thread, I gave the date of the end of the Judgment of the living as 14 February 2013
and I have noted the parallel between Noah’s 7 days and our 7 years that end 14 February 2020
I wondered if 14 February 2020 would bring any events of significance
Are the twin bomb cyclones merging into one of the strongest storms ever (14 Feb 2020)
In the North Atlantic (heading toward the Old World)
any indication of prophecy fulfilled (as it was in the days of Noah so will it be before the coming of Jesus) or a sign that we need to note?

As Noah waited in the ark for 7 days for the rain to come,

You must admit that it is interesting that on the very day that ended our 7 years:We have a super storm

This SNL skit is funny. Thank you, Ark, for explaining the main point for me. So, the Sabbath in this article can be one tool for conscious living in the spatial “now” and not in an imaginary world? To quote Spock: “Fascinating.”

Enjoyed the music and the words.
Something I learned from my Spanish friends who I help in a
learning English class.
At our break we sing a chorus in English and have prayer.
then eat a snack before continuing for another 45 minutes.
At Christmas time I photocopied Silent Night out of the SDA
Spanish Hymnal. They told me the Spanish Version [SDA] is
slightly different than the English translation.

1 Like

Me too!!
It’s so complicated that it would certainly take me a lot of time to decipher it all. And, considering that April is approaching so fast, it’s probably not worth it… :roll_eyes::innocent::woozy_face:

3 Likes

That was a laughter trigger… :laughing::rofl:

1 Like

It is a “hurricane” in the north atlantic. Hitting Iceland, Ireland.
Being winter, bringing “cold weather” stuff with it.

1 Like