A Story of Birds

A single watcher at a window sees

a busy Magpie Lark in suit of black and white,

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11226
1 Like

what would we do without the birds :slightly_smiling_face:

i have a huge 20ft+ star power juniper growing quite close to the house, visible through the right edge of a large window looking out into my backyard…my grand piano is right next to this window, and i love looking at all the little birds flitting in and out of this tree as i’m playing…there’s a family of about 30 plump sparrows that sleep in this tree, but throughout the day, many little birds come and go…

towards the centre of the window, a 20ft+ oak is growing, and tons of birds, and also squirrels, are always in this tree…i encourage them by hanging feeders on this tree…beyond the oak is a broad willow, and then a giant 40ft+ elm, which is always full of birds, everything from crows, woodpeckers and blue jays, to starlings and even red cardinals…sometimes quail and even wild mallards ducks sit under its shade…of course the robins are always hopping about, hunting for worms…

2 yrs ago a very large hawk sat in the oak tree, glowering at the fat little sparrows hiding in the juniper…needless to say, i went out and scared it away…

i have 21 trees in my backyard…the three newest ones - raindrop crabapple, snowbird hawthorne, columnar crabapple- are already attracting the birds…one of the neighbour’s cats jumped the fence and was prowling around early in the morning last week…i’ll have to keep an eye out for this cat…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.