Abundance in the Midst of Plenty

George, I just posted that to raise your blood pressure.

Anyway…why don’t you contact Pew Research & Barna .Org and have them do a poll to prove me wrong by having the question asked…“Of your 7000 waking minutes a week, about how many minutes of that are you listening to God in bible study, prayer or meditation versus listening to The Voice, news, politics, entertainment voices, sarcastic sit coms or your favorite smooth, soft sell TV preacher?”

(Kim Green) #22

Gideon…why do you think that “spirituality” equals a certain or unknown amount of time in “Bible study, prayer or meditation”?

(Thomas J Zwemer) #23

Apparently you don’t understand the full meaning of the Investigative Judgment or The church’s understanding of the Three Angels Messages. for that matter Ted Wilson’s theology. We get it full bore from Kevin. Glacier View has never been rejected…

Tom,

I understand about Kevin, TW, etc…however…do you think that their viewpoint is prevalent in the SDA group …in general?

This is from Wikipedia…
"The meaning of spirituality has developed and expanded over time, and various connotations can be found alongside each other.[1][2][3][note 1]

Traditionally, spirituality referred to a religious process of re-formation which “aims to recover the original shape of man”,[note 2] oriented at “the image of God”[4][5] as exemplified by the founders and sacred texts of the religions of the world. The term was used within early Christianity to refer to a life oriented toward the Holy Spirit.[6] and broadened during late medieval times to include mental aspects of life."

What do you think of their concept?

(Kim Green) #26

Why don’t we start with answering my first question before delving into a definition. I am asking YOU.

Because definition of terms is important for clear communication.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #28

By prevalent I mean held at the highest offices and not contended at any level. private understanding not considered.The full doctrine of the Investgative Judgement contains the concept of a final generation. Brinsmead designed a perfect was to accommodate that view but was rejected. The church brought in DescFord to straighten Bob out. Then they sacked Des and a host of others. Until the church rejects The corn field vision et al the Word prevalent still holds.

(Kim Green) #29

Yes…so why don’t you start out by YOUR definition.

I have no problems with what I posted from Wiki

(Kim Green) #31

I really doesn’t say much in concrete terms…so I assume that you are quite open to many different definitions of “spirituality” including Christian Mysticism?

I would concentrate/emphasize this.

We are in the dispensation of the Holy Spirit and since relationships are very subjective, it includes the time schedule.

One can say they have a relationship with a family member if they send them a Christmas card once a year or call them on the phone only on their birthday.

A strong relationship is demonstrated by a significant amount of time with them and the sharing of confidences and/or intimacy.

(Kim Green) #33

I would agree generally with this. However, Adventism has never really taught spiritual formation to its detriment. I would say that it is the quality of time and experiences instead of the amount of time spent.

Agreed on quality. This is why I included…

Are you supporting my usual hobby horse /rant…inept teachers??

(Kim Green) #36

I am saying the quality is more important than the time…are you agreeing with this?

(Kim Green) #37

In a sense, yes. I would say that Adventism isn’t teaching spiritual formation because of it’s emphasis on its own theology. Unlike you, however, I dont expect that this will change much- if at all. So, I have no investment in “ranting”. :smiley:

I don’t either, the extent of my influence is very limited and it is hard to teach “old white men” new tricks.

(Kim Green) #39

Lol…I dont attempt to “teach” but rather influence in any way I can. Don’t beat “dead horses”…waste of time. :joy:

(James Peterson) #40

Well phrased.

The point Jesus was to seeking to establish was that he was the long awaited Messiah. The contrast he presented between himself, the good shepherd, and the thief (come to steal, kill and destroy) was based on the day-night, light-darkness, theme he introduced at the beginning of the story.

Now as Jesus passed by, He saw a man who was blind from birth. And His disciples asked Him, saying, Rabbi, who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind? Jesus answered, Neither this man nor his parents sinned, but that the works of God should be revealed in him. I must work the works of Him who sent Me while it is day; the night is coming when no one can work. As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world.” John 9:1-5

And so, the good shepherd came with the dawn, entered by the door, called his sheep (i.e. Jew and Gentile) and led them out to lie in green pastures, beside still waters. He, Jesus of Nazareth, healed the blind man so that he saw the light and he, the formerly blind, worshiped Him (v. 35-38). Then, turning to those about, He asked in other words, “It is day! How is it you do not see? Have I not done good to this man? See and understand that I have come that you may have life, and that you may have it more abundantly. Through me, the promise of God will be fulfilled.”

Before the dawn, it is night; and also, after the evening, again it is night. For a little while, an exceedingly great light filled the earth. John bore this testimony which we have come to believe, “And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world.” John 1:14 & 9.

Beside that time, there was no other day!
Beside Him, there is no other Saviour!
And any who claims to be – is a thief of the night!

John 3:16

///