Adventist Church in Ireland and UK Affirms Women Ministers

Pastor David Neal, Irish Mission President, joined with Church leaders from across the British Isles and the Trans-European Division leadership to affirm and support the courageous women who have dedicated their lives to various forms of ministry within the Church. This is his report:

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://spectrummagazine.org/article/2015/10/30/adventist-church-ireland-and-uk-affirms-women-ministers
2 Likes

“κῦδος” to all those courageous people who are taking the right Christian position about our sisters who serve the Church.

The “domino effect” is spreading around the world. Women have been affirmed as 100% human beings in several places, as several sectors of the Church have decided to stop the discrimination of women promoted by other sectors of the same Church.

This time I don’t think that President Ted is happy with the TED President…

The Unions in the US are way too quiet on this issue. What is happening, did fear of the guys upstairs dominate the camp? It seems that this time others parts of the world, not America, are leading the process of eliminating discrimination of women from their midst!!
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Those interested in further discussing this issue, please go to the Lounge, where this article should be posted soon.

The Lounge: http://conversation.spectrummagazine.org/c/lounge
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Marianne, @marianne_faust

Keeping education at a low key is one of the tactics the cultic movements utilize, because then it’s much easier to manipulate the crowds.

I don’t think it’s too late. The new generation is not buying into those cultic ideas that easily as we (I speak for myself) did when we were young, long time ago (again speaking for myself… :wink: )

We believed, we trusted, we followed, we thought we were told not only the truth but ALL the truth. We were honest and confident. And we know what happened, right?

But today’s youth are different, and they have the info available, all that we didn’t have then. And they are not naive.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Ken @kennlutz,

Do not cherish false expectations in this regard.
What we can expect though is people with common sense, good Christians, people who want to eliminate discrimination of women from our midst, to do what so many are already doing in many regions of the civilized world.

Who will be next? Any other Union in the US, or will we be left behind by the Europeans???
@andreas
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

6 Likes

Yet again, those who stand for God and who refuse to discriminate against woman. Thank-you, brothers and sisters in Ireland and UK!

5 Likes

I agree that education plays a key role here…but that might be already too late. The loudest voices against WO. seem also to be those with the least understanding of Christian essentials. They don’t feel the need for education. They are quite sure to have some very influential people behind them. And they have. And we, the rest, we realized way too late what happens if we let people like Veith and Batchelor and Schreven etc. do their thing without any resistance. Very few people, even today, realize the different gospel they have been preaching.

6 Likes

This is probably the most accurate statement I have heard from any SDA leader. Please, please, remedy this!

The GC needs to hear LOUDLY that the SS Lessons are constrained to Living the Gospel of Jesus Christ, to Discipleship, to “following the Lamb wherever he goes.” Have we not had enough apologetic for our assumed exclusiveness, enough justification for legalism, enough insistence on ‘proper’ belief? The Lord’s Church only grows by the influence Holy Spirit upon each and every member therein, whereby they can point to the Light of the World as their Savior, and not by the egotistic desires of a few good men. TMI?

Trust God.

8 Likes

I’m sure they appreciate being listened to and affirmed. I’m sure they would feel even more affirmed if their union came up with some creative way to treat them and their male colleagues similarly. Being listened to and affirmed is nice, but so is equality.

7 Likes

Thank you UK and Ireland! Having lived near London a while ago I was very confident that the UK would affirm women Pastors!

4 Likes

So glad to see the UK and Ireland leading the way.

2 Likes

Many other unions have also “affirmed” women, but only a few have actually put it into action by ordaining then. Words are easy and may be soothing, but without actually accepting those “affirmed” women as fully equal in all respects to their male colleagues, their words are empty and mean little or nothing.

By the time the church begins ordaining women, the young women and men who feel that discrimination does not follow Christ’s example, there may be no young ministers of either sex to replace the retirees.

4 Likes

It would appear to me that, although affirmations are lovely and necessary, somehow they have stopped short of taking a stand against widely accepted and promoted gender discrimination. I can’t understand how a church that professes the desire to retain and increase membership could think that this is acceptable. The two concepts will never converge.

4 Likes

I agree Elaine. This is gesture politics. I don’t see any meaningful action here. Until the unions in the UK come out with policy like Norway etc, it is meaningless. There is no bravery here.

3 Likes

I have similar notions. The anti WO camp affirm women.

6 Likes

Let the Europeans lead!

USA is not the leader in everything and doesn’t need to be.

We are an international church.

Learn from others.

When the fruit iripens first n another orchard, then eat if from there.

2 Likes

This kind of listening to Adventist feminine pastoral and organization leaders was promised by my friend Rafat Kamal in the hours after the San Antonio vote.

There is little need to complain that more creative policies concerning women in leadership need to be in place. I’m sure this will happen also!

1 Like