Adventist Headlines: PUC Grads Among Most Indebted

(system) #1

This week in our roundup of news headlines:

Pacific Union College grads rank among top 20 most indebted. Time Money released its latest ranking of 20 Private Colleges With the Highest Student Loan Debt. PUC earned the dubious distinction of 17th-most debt-laden. PUC grads average $42,153 in debt, according to the report. The report hastened to add limitations of the rankings:

Not only does it exclude schools that didn’t report student debt to college guide Peterson’s, the source of the data used in the report, it also doesn’t include parent loans, debt of students who don’t graduate, debt of transfer students incurred at other institutions, and debt of graduate or professional school students. The reasons for high debt levels among certain schools’ graduates vary and can be difficult to pinpoint.

From Time Money, "20 Private Colleges With the Highest Student Loan Debt".

Jill Biden tours ADRA facility. In late November, officials of the ADRA Center in Kiev, Ukraine hosted Dr. Jill Biden who was traveling in the area with her husband, U.S. Vice President Joe Biden. She met a family who had been displaced by the conflict in the region. ADRA’s work in Ukraine has focused on medical help for those affected by the conflict in Ukraine. When she spoke to the gathered representatives, Jill Biden said that the United States will contribute $3,000,000 to aid in the Ukraine crisis. From ADRA International, "Dr. Jill Biden visits IDPs at Ukraine ADRA Center".

Family survives Michigan plane crash. A single-engine Piper Comanche, carrying an Adventist family, crashed in Berrien Springs and injured its pilot and three passengers last Friday: William Fisher, his wife Barbara Fisher, son Bryce Fisher, and Miritha Morales. The airplane came to rest five to six feet away from the home of Garland and Ruth Dilley, causing no damage to the occupants or to the house. From Fox 17 Online, "4 hurt when plane crashes in Berrien County".

Forest Lake Academy forfeits national championship game, still gets championship trophy. Victory Christian Academy girls' volleyball team gave its championship trophy to Forest Lake Academy's team in honor the FLA decision to forfeit the National Association of Christian Athletes volleyball championship game which would have been played on Sabbath. FLA's team returned to campus with the winning trophy while VCA took home the championship banner. NACA has named both schools co-champions. From NWI Times, "Victory Christian volleyball team re-defines champion".

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6463

(Thomas J Zwemer) #2

$43,000. Is just getting started in search of a upscale car. So what really matter is what salable skills did their degree offer. if Pre Med then the total package will be in the range of an upscale home. Tom Z

(jeremy) #3

i worked my way through undergrad as a dishwasher and a men’s dorm desk monitor - maybe there were other jobs, but these are the two i recall - and received a few scholarships, but i still ended up with $11,000.00 in debt…there’s probably no way to be educated without incurring debt unless one’s parents or a relative are rich…i think this means that people have to really sit down and think through what they want to do for a living before they start their education…attending university in order to find oneself and discover one’s interests is probably not a good idea…

i’m just remembering now that i also wrote as a columnist for the school paper, which actually led to my first job offer with a paper in worcester, mass…so i guess the moral of that story, if there is one, is spend your time doing something that translates into a marketable skill…

(le vieux) #4

Unfortunately that is true today. But it wasn’t that way when I was in college. My roommate worked his whole way through. I had loans and grants, along with work and some help from grandparents. But grants are harder to get today, and the price of a college education has far (far!!) outstripped inflation. $2000 including room and board 45 years ago for one year; $32,000 or more now (PUC). If it had kept pace with inflation, it would be about $16,000. Community colleges are a good alternative for the first year to get the basics out of the way. That’s what my kids did, and saved a ton of money. My son will be be in debt for years. My daughter not as much, since she reached that magic age where one qualifies for more financial aid.

Something needs to change, but I’m not sure how it ever will.

(Peter) #5

This ranking doesn’t take into account the careers that PUC majors pursue. It has always had a very high number of graduates who studied medicine or dentistry at Loma Linda. Another significant group of students has gone on to law school. In order to determine the significance of this report, one must know the average salary of PUC graduates 10, 20, etc. years after graduation and compare that with the debt.

And how does PUC’s tuition, room, and board compare with that of other Adventist colleges and universities?

In and of itself, this report really doesn’t say much - it just garners attention.

@vandieman
Its true. I have a picture from Jeremy’s early days, and he did more than just write, he also fought crime…

(jeremy) #7

hey, i don’t have that kind of beer belly - at least not then - and when i wear a pinky ring, it’s on my right hand :smile:

I wanted to get that old school 1950ish reporter look :smiley:

Yeah, apparently Superman wasn’t as self-conscious as he is now days lol.

(jeremy) #9

the problem is with the salaries of professors…like the medical profession, people are grossly over-paid…normal economic laws of inflation simply don’t apply…

(Peter) #10

PUC teachers overpaid? Are you kidding Jeremy? Do you realize when an uninformed statement/judgment/assessment you just made? I spent many years on the PUC faculty, and I can assure you that I was very much underpaid. My salary increased by 50% the year I left PUC and went to work at a public university. I think you spoke too quickly on this one.

(jeremy) #11

peter, the overwhelming impetus to tuition hikes is professor salaries…do you actually disagree…if students can’t afford their tuition, it means teachers are over-paid in their particular economic niche…

(Cfowler) #12

Well, how much do they make? Do you have a specific figure, or a ballpark amount?

Just curious…

(jeremy) #13

no, i don’t have specifics, nor do i need them…in considering a university economic niche, if we know that students can’t afford tuition, and if we know that the biggest contribution to tuition is professor salaries, we know that professor salaries are too high…professor salaries would be too low if all students could easily afford their tuition, and if professor salaries were still the impetus for tuition increases…

of course this does not factor in government assistance to students or universities…but strictly speaking, the business of a university should not need to depend on socialized assistance if professor salaries were supportable from the known input of student financial ability…

(Cfowler) #14

Does anyone on here have an idea about SDA professor salaries? I doubt they are too high, but now I’m curious as to what the amount actually is.

(le vieux) #15

As near as I can tell, professors at PUC make 80-100 thousand a year, more or less. Sounds pretty high to me, but I know the cost of living in Calif. is higher than in many other places. Assistant professors supposedly make about half that. I don’t know how accurate those figures are.

(Peter) #16

Jeremy, I feel you are out of touch. Yes, I very much disagree with your opinion. If PUC paid less than it does, faculty couldn’t even afford to work there the cost of living is so high. They can hardly afford it now. Most faculty in Adventist colleges and universities are truly sacrificing to be there. Have you ever actually worked for an Adventist college or university?

(George Tichy) #17

Interesting assumptions…

(Cfowler) #18

Thanks Birder,

It doesn’t sound too high, as you said, considering the cost of living in CA.

(Dick Osborn) #19

Today I was told by a long term “tenured” full professor faculty member with a Ph.D. from a prestigious university who teaches at PUC that he makes $64,000 a year. Five years ago my salary as President of PUC was $75,000.

(George Tichy) #20

There are nurses in CA making more than this.