Adventist News Roundup

(system) #1

Immigration legal trouble in New Zealand shows the trouble that a globalized church gets into when members use their community connections to enrich themselves.

The Seventh-day Adventist Church in Auckland says the pastor who has pleaded guilty to giving immigration advice without a licence is not one of its own. Kauapi Lutelu Salanoa claimed to be a pastor and a prince from Tuvalu when he pleaded guilty in the Auckland District Court to six charges of giving immigration advice without a licence.

Court rules that self-supporting academy Laurelbrook Sanitarium and School does not violate labor laws by having students work for businesses connected to the institution.

A Chattanooga federal judge had ruled as much after a seven-day trial in which he concluded that Laurelbrook students received the primary benefit of the work they performed by learning "practical skills about work, responsibility, and the dignity of manual labor in a way consistent with the religious mission of their school."

On a very positive note,The Oregonian shares "an improbable" story of a family harmed by the tornado, and then by a broken fibula, finding comfort in their Adventist community.

The family moved to Harvest, Ala., just outside Huntsville, two years ago after Lon was laid off from Hewlett-Packard in Vancouver. Last Wednesday, they escaped with a few suitcases after six storms battered their rental home in a subdivision of 25 houses, and moved in temporarily with friends from their Seventh-day Adventist Church. . . .

That evening, she and Lon drove over to their ruined house, poked around a bit and took a few photographs. They returned to the home where they are staying with friends and learned that members of another Adventist church wanted to come by Sunday to help out.

"I stepped over to the door to the garage to tell my husband," Sharon said. "It's three steps into the garage. I caught two, missed one and heard a pop."

Martin Doblmeier's documentary, The Adventists, received an Gabriel Award, sponsored by the Catholic Association of Communication Professionals.

In a timely Adventist News Network interview, General Conference vice president Dr. Ella Simmons shares her agenda for Adventist education.

Dr. Ella Simmons: I would like for us to come out recognizing that we must be committed to education as internal evangelism as we are to external evangelism. The Lord holds us accountable for both. My ideal would be to engender a new excitement that plays itself out in terms of support and involvement in Adventist education worldwide. There would emerge a renewed understanding of true education as redemption as the future of our church through the salvation of our children, youth and their families.

ANN: There are controversies over what is taught in some institutions. Does the need for these formal conversations stem from some concerns about La Sierra University?

Simmons: No, this isn't focused on La Sierra or any other specific institution. It's just time in our history, especially at the rates at which [the church is] growing in membership and simultaneously losing young people at alarming rates that we need to reengage ourselves with the foundations of Adventist education and articulate the definitions and expectations to new and grounded members as well. ...We certainly need to make it possible for Adventist education to be viewed, understood and operated as the Lord intended for its nature, aims and outcomes within the realities of our myriad cultural and geographic contexts.

Read the entire interview here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/3144