Adventist Pastors Address the Mis-education of the Adventist

(Spectrumbot) #1

The "Justice Speaks" video-cast, hosted by Pastor Jaime Kowlessar of City Temple Seventh-day Adventist Church in Dallas, Texas, features emerging Adventist voices discussing the intersection of theology and current events. Pastor Kowlessar convenes Justice Speaks conversations on Thursday evenings via Google Hangouts, a video-conference application built into the Google Plus social network.

In a recent episode, "The MisEducation of the Adventist," Kowlessar and five panelists discussed the ongoing issue of police violence against black men in the United States in the wake of the death of Freddie Gray at the hands of Baltimore police. The discussion included first-hand reports from Baltimore, where protesters took to the streets to demonstrate against police violence. Joining Kowlessar were David B. Franklin, pastor of Miracle Temple Seventh-day Adventist Church in Baltimore; tech expert and videographer Chip Dizárd; Michael Polite, associate chaplain at Andrews University; Michael B. Kelly II, senior pastor of the Mt. Rubidoux Seventh-day Adventist Church in Riverside, California; and Andrews University Seminary student Corey Johnson.

Late in the conversation, discussion turned to the ways in which Adventist education ignores the contributions to the church and to society at large from black leaders.

Kowlessar asked, "Is it OK for Adventists to be dismissive of current events?" "No," he said, resoundingly, answering his own question.

Turning his attention to the Civil Rights Movement, Kowlessar noted that he had always had the impression Adventists had not been involved in the fight for Civil Rights. "But there were major players, from the laity to pastors, that were heavily involved in the Civil Rights Movement. For example, Matthew Strachan, who was the pastor after J. K. Humphrey at Ephesus who was a major player in the NAACP."

"Charles Dudley, J. K. Humphrey..." Kowlessar continued. He asked the panel whether any of them had heard of these men during their matriculation.

"Why is it that we learn about Bates, Edson, Ellen White, Stephen Haskell...and we never learn about these men that were pastors and Civil Rights Freedom Fighters?" Kowlessar asked.

"I hate to say this, but we're being very honest on this show," Michael Kelly responded. "Because learning about them does not help us, in people's minds, become better Adventists and teach Adventist theology. When I left the Seminary, I did not leave learning how to be a pastor. I really left learning how to regurgitate what our church believes to be able to tell people so that eventually they could become better Adventists."

WATCH: The MisEducation of the Adventist. Conversation about Adventist education and Civil Rights leaders begins at approximately the 49:00 minute mark.

Jared Wright is Managing Editor of SpectrumMagazine.org.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6826

The seminary prepares a person to spread the gospel and that gospel is the gospel of Jesus Christ. Its not about racial minorities doing such and so in the 50’s and 60’s.
Is that miseducation? I guess it depends on why your in the seminary to start with. Its quite possible you would have been happier in some black studies degree. You choose to perceive things as, “Adventist education ignores the contributions to the church and to society at large from black leaders.” And so they start teaching specific classes about what black leaders do and then what? Hispanic Pastors start complaining that the seminary teaches black contributions but not hispanic contributions and then Asians do the same thing until what? When you are fixated on things that divide and separate you by default lose the better path where the focus is on Christ and skin differences fade into meaningless classifications that have no bearing on salvation.

You asked people if they had heard of particular men. Guess what? There are thousands upon thousands of men and women you have never heard of doing great things for God and their fellow men. Why dont you know about them?

Thanks so much for the reply. I’m assuming two things as we engage in dialogue. One that you were able to watch the entire episode so as to get the context and two that you have attended the seminary. The Gospel of Jesus Christ is also about dealing with the oppressed. These are the words of Jesus.
"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to proclaim good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to set the oppressed free-Luke 4:16

With that said the discussion is centered in what we as Adventist specifically pastors have been taught in relation to this aspect of the gospel. Dealing with the oppressed and setting captives free not just spiritually, but also physically, socially, and economically. So to find out that there are Adventist who participated in this part of spreading the Gospel through the Civil Rights movement is not simply history it is actually showing that part of our message is participating in changing the injustices of society. We would love to learn about these various individuals who have done so and then be taught as pastors how we can erect that type of change in the communities that we have been assigned to Pastor.

So I attended the seminary to learn to preach the Gospel in its entirety. In its entirety includes dealing with the injustices of society. We do the Gospel a disservice if we preach only part of this message and not all of it. All of it includes social justice. So if that part of the Gospel is not being taught and we as pastors are not impacting our communities with the Gospel then we truly have been mis-educated. This is not to say I or anyone else learned nothing in seminary. There are valuable things I did learn and carry with me. At the same time Jesus said, “this yo ought to have done and not leave the others undone.” The social justice aspect of the Gospel has been left undone. And our communities around us are suffering for it.

Why is it that when a conversation about African Americans is discussed, it has to be about division. Also the language used in your post is disturbing. To call a certain group of people a ‘minority’ is very condescending. If I, or anyone is a minority, then my issues, and ‘contributions’ are treated as minor as well. I would be very excited if our institutions would have a class on black studies as well as Asian, Hispanic, Native American etc. If your education has only decided to focus on a certain group, whilst intentionally leaving out another group, then how can learn to appreciate to others. If you have adopted a theology that says, God will fix everything one day, so just wait for that happen", then that is miseducation. We specifically called attention to Oakwood University which is a HBCU. I really don’t expect Andrews to offer a class like that (which I think they should), because Andrews wants to keep in line with other accredited seminaries.

Your statement about “teach a class about black leaders then what” is evidence in regards to why one must be done? Our show speaks to issue of Adventists sitting on the sidelines not fighting for the rights of the marginalized. Ministers who cannot use the scriptures to speak about the ills of society. Adventists who feel like we shouldn’t be involved with issues pertaining to justice to change laws that specifically target poor people. It also speaks to the issue of of ministers who don’t understand that it’s not enough just to tell people to eat healthy, but to also make sure that they have healthy choices to choose from by addressing the issues of food deserts. Justice Speaks also a reminder that it is my christian duty to Learn to do good. Seek justice, help the oppressed. Defend the cause of orphans. Fight for the rights of widows (Isaiah 1:17).

The men that we mentioned in our video not only made contributions to the church, but we were focused on their contributions that they made to the world. They were not just pulpiteers, who hid behind the pulpit, but they had their feet on the ground in the community. That’s why we highlighted them, and it was eye opening for us, because we always believed that the only time Adventists ministers spoke out against anything was when our religious liberties were threatened.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #5

Institutionally the message is on target. As it applies to The North American Division. I recall my first lab course teaching at LLU. I was given a roster with the picture and name of each student in the class. the names were printed below the name… however, the layout was such that it appeared that the name was above the picture. There was one black student in the class, 6 feet 3 inches tall at about 230 lbs of muscle. there was a white male in the class about 5 feet 4 inches tall at about 145 pounds. I called the black student by the name of the white student… he laughed and called the white student to come and stand beside him. which he did. the black student said, Dr. Zwemer can’t tell use us apart. . Later, on a Monday morning the black student came to my desk and said, Dr Zwemer, I spent the weekend at the beach, want to see my tan? I looked a little surprised as he rolled up his sleeve and showed me a slight difference. we both had a good chuckle., Both students graduated with distinction. I did have difficult in getting the first black student admitted to Graduate School. he later became a Vice President of the American Dental association, and a commencement speaker at LLU School of Dentistry. he also founded a scholarship fund named the Thomas J. Zwemer Fund. I praise diversity and honor individuality. Thus this broadside one way or the other is anathema to me. Tom Z

(Paul Kevin Wells) #6

The paucity of comments on this article is a telling reminder of how difficult it is to discuss matters of race. It is important for a denomination, which finds its identity in Revelation 14 and its call to spread the Gospel to every kindred, tongue and nation, to be open to dialoguing in a healthy manner regarding the differences we have among us.
As I see it one of our most persistent problems is our inability to take Scripture seriously. For example the book of Acts records in the early church there was a problem that arose specifically regarding inequality practiced in the distribution of aid between the Hebraic and Grecian widows. A dispute arose. This was not a subtle issue. It was a blatant example of prejudice among the believers.
How did the church deal with this matter? Their response was apparently quite different than ours. It seems the church simply acknowledged the problem and took steps toward a solution. That solution of course was an appeal for the search for people filled with the Holy Spirit to tend to the matter.
There is no indication of a long drawn out list of grievances being aired, nor was there a denial of the wrongness of the situation coupled with a clumsy attempt at misdirection. The problem was presented and the Church sought a solution oriented toward greater unity not less.
Today it seems that many of the folks leading in the discussion really aren’t concerned with greater unity. They, and I’m NOT referring to the participants in the above referenced video conference, are more concerned with assigning fault than seeking solutions or they are more concerned with defending the status quo.
I can’t make anyone do the right thing. All I can do is seek to do the right thing for myself. The work of the Gospel is the hard work of building developing relationships which are more than superficial associations. However, I could be wrong.

(Gerhard Dr Svrcek Seiler) #7

There are quite a nuber of glorious myths : Pitcairn , the Paradise , all the inhabitants following our standars, faithful obeyng. In the eighties the first questions arose (Nooo, so the ANN and APD, we are not responsible as a church - - ) in the nineties a book , “Snake in the Paradise” - this liar ! She got access to the island by cheating !" Then after 2000 a criminal court had to be established,. The defendants and their attorneys pleaded for not guilty and rejected all the principles of Western Europe,and Engalnd (and so also the US) with their laws on sexual misbehaviour as chid abuse - - - relying on their old tribal laws and customs, those never given up. And it got obvious, that those were maintained under the SDAs “our Paradise” cover through the decades / cetury.

But sometimes after this the “Adventist Review” the “Adventbote” published an article about our Paradise Island.

And what did you learn about SDA in Europe ? Czechowski was the first missionary of the Advent Hope At last now for years ago he is somehow respected. And Swiss born Erzberger was the first convert, a St. Chischona student., helping Andrews to do his firts steps. - And from Germany Erzberger was invited to come : The group there needed little evangelisation, they just longed to have contact to felow believers elsewhere, they had their own local mission concepts…

And what did you learn ? we neiter have a Czechowski - University nor a Erzberger Memorial Hospital nor a Vohwinkel memorial. And no stimulus for questions : “Daddy, who was he ?”

(Steve Mga) #8

Paul–
A HUGE, BIG, GIGANTIC problem I see within SDA thought, from pastors and laity both IS-- We have been taught to Isolate our selves From-Away-Not Participate in the Community of Sunday Believers and Non-Believers in God as well.
To Join would be to Join with people from Babylon. To raise a Collective Voice with THEM is seen as bringing Babylon into the church.
So if we SDAs do do something, it is with only a slight wimper, a slight whisper that cannot be heard in all the noise of the injustice going on.
We dont bring any ideas, programs, or human bodies to the table to take risks.
Here in Macon. Many of the Elementary Schools have failed kids who took the state test for reading and math, some up to 50%. A creative way would to be to teach reading in Sabbath and Sunday schools at church. Teach the kids the ability to read the Bible. To do so they would learn 1000 words-- both sight reading and spelling. Is anyone doing that? NO!
Adventist Churches could offer that to communities ANY day of the week, including Sabbth.

(James R Becraft) #9

I believe the concerns and observations expressed here are largely true. The unrecognized individuals of on-the-edge leadership are often far more than widely promoted individuals in the pantheon of heroes viewed as core heroes.

The contributions of Adventist social and public health change advocates engaged in the policy discussions and political activities of this country often are downplayed, particularly those of our African American intellectual and organizational leaders.

This applies in the literary field as well–in the literature of a country that in part shapes its reality

How many have heard of Arna Bontemps, a friend of Langston Hughes, an advocate and prolific writer calling for social justice in America—and a graduate or student of Pacific Union College?

He wrote many, many books and may be historically PUC’s most widely read graduate.

Frederick Douglas himself, while not an Adventist, was, I believe, close to us. Sojourner Truth does not get the credit she deserves as a dynamic force for change in the USA.

I’d like to know more about those unsung amazing believers in Torah and the Messiah who lived within the Advent Movement who moved and shook the country away from slavery, toward social justice, and who continue to do so.

I want to know more about my African American, Latino, Japanese, etc. brothers and sisters and cousins in the movement who are engaged in making the world a better place to live…

Joseph Bates was important and William Miller, but what about the Sojourners among us…even right now–the Hugh Activist or Tiné Shake who helps shape up things for better communities in the places like Baltimore.

Thanks and enjoy your lives.

(Tom Loop) #10

I believe we need to see people as people and be color blind all the way around. Whatever happened to the song we were taught in kindergarten SS class “Red and yellow, black and white all are precious in His sight. Jesus loves the little children of the world.” Yesterday is gone, today is here, God holds the future. Our destiny is in His hands if we choose to be His ambassadors here and now to advance the kingdom of heaven and His character of love. It is love that makes the world go round. “The last rays of merciful light, the last message to be given to this world is a revelation of His character of love. Christ Object Lesson 415. One cannot truly love people if you feel you have to hold someone down. " Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.” Matthew 5:7. The golden rule transcends virtually any belief system.

(Harry Allen) #11

Thanks, bigtomwoodcutter.

Please: Why be “blind” to something that exists? That is, for what reason would one pretend to not see something that is there, and real?

As well, to what other types of phenomena would one, reasonably, respond this way? For example, should one be “profession-blind,” or “gender-blind”? How about “age-blind”? Or, beyond people, has anyone ever been “terrain-blind” or “climate-blind”?

The song you cited, Jesus Loves The Little Children, is often cited as an example of the equanimity to which, I believe, you are speaking.

However, in quiet moments, I’ve often thought to myself that a white person must have written that song. I say this because white people—those who practice race—demonstrate the most interest in the racial classification of people. That is, they pay the most attention to it, and have the most elaborate and powerful apparatus to address it.

Put another way, in my opinion, only a white person, in the middle of a song for kids, would introduce a racial classification chart, and run through its quanta as a way of pointing out that this is of no interest to God. From not too askance a position, it all seems rather self-serving.

HA

(Al21c) #12

Thank you so much. To not see color is impossible and it is a bit naive frankly. I cringe when I hear someone say they don’t see color. There is nothing wrong with being aware of differences. The problem comes when we let perceived differences lead to discrimination and oppression.

(Al21c) #13

Pastor Jaime Kowlessar along with the other young ministers are very much on point. I did not remember Pastor Kowlessar was now in Texas. I used to watch him all the time on the internet when he was at Ephesus and I have heard him speak in person on several occasion at my church in Brooklyn. He is a powerhouse! I should have known he would have come up with a show in this vein. I Hope he keeps it going. By the way I have a lot to say on the topic but I cannot spare the time to write it all. Suffice it to say that Adventist culture is not structured for social ministry nor do I ever believe it will be. BUT these young ministers do give me a ray of hope that I just might be wrong AND I hope so. They expressed my views on the subject quite well except I would have probably gone further.
Being of the boomer generation it was a great frustration to watch the SDA church’s attitude toward the civil rights struggle and to MLK, who many Adventist considered radical at the time. Can you imagine??!!! I will not even mention Malcolm. The roots of this attitude I believe lie in the SDA Church’s interpretation of EGWs writings and what she said about being involved in social and political movements. For me, that was fine for a privileged 19th century white woman to say and possibly live by, but it has very little relevance to oppressed Blacks living then or now. Those who believe so are sadly mistaken.

Personally, I think that most of the problem lies in the term “social justice” itself. It is not that the term is wrong, it’s just that the term “social justice” means different things to different people, and so even if two groups of people are arguing about “social justice,” they may not be arguing about the same thing.

So my view is that we should stop talking and arguing about “social justice” and instead, just try to follow the example of Jesus.

Ah, but there’s the rub. What exactly did Jesus teach regarding the message of the Gospel, and what exactly did Jesus do regarding the needs of the people of His day?
Jesus was not into free handouts. He healed far fewer people than he could have. He said the poor would always be with us. Yes, Jesus gave free meals and free healthcare to people. But notice a few things about these events. First, the people He is helping are almost always people who are following Him or who have sought Him out in some way. When He feeds the five thousand, it was because they had been listening to His teachings and He had gone on so long that they all became hungry and had not brought any food. The vast majority of these people were not homeless. They were not unemployed. They just forgot to bring food. Later, when word gets around that Jesus was giving free meals, and people started showing up just the free stuff, Jesus pretty much chased them away (John 6).
Jesus never called on the government to provide free stuff. Not once did Jesus ever call on the Roman Empire, or the local Israelite authorities to raise taxes so that the poor and unemployed could be taken care of. Taking care of the poor and needy in the community was a priority of Jesus, but He never saw this as the responsibility of the government. Taking care of the poor and needy in the community was the responsibility of the individual person, or of local groups.
He dealt in personal responsibility not “rights”. A lot of this social justice focus has led people out of the church, out of faith, the most recent being Ryan Bell.

(Tom Loop) #15

I’m not sure how to take this. I grew up in a redneck town where there were virtually no black people because no one would give them a job. My father was from Oklahoma, but he wasn’t racially prejudiced. Neither was I, even though I was very conservative. I truly believe, as MLK once said, that men should be judged by the content of their heart, not by the color of their skin.

I belonged to a lodge in 1979 where if a new person was voted into membership they had to receive a 100% vote. I knew a black man who I asked to join. When the vote came, 3 people blackballed the ballot box, so he was rejected. I immediately protested. The president of the lodge said “We don’t want any n------ in the lodge.” I promptly got in his face and reminded him that at every meeting he had to repeat what his station represented. It was equality. I told him he was a lousy hypocrit. I promptly resigned my membership. I took my friend and we promptly left.

In my former church where I attended for over 40 years before we moved, I had considerable influence. In 1991 I had been head elder for 3 years and believed another elder should take over that spot. I felt the best qualified man was the only black man in our church. By then racism in our town was dying out. He was nominated without any opposition and served very well for 3 years. We had a policy in that church that you couldn’t be head of anything for more than 3 years. I supported that too, because I think some people let power and influence go to there head sometimes.

Now with that said, I will add that although i am all for equality, I take strong exception to guys like Al Sharpton who are always stirring up strife playing the race card. He exploits everything. What he did in Ferguson, Mo. was terrible. MLK towers above that demogog in my book. I like columnist Thomas Sowell, a black man. I have mixed emotions about supreme court justice Clarence Thomas, but I strongly endorsed his confirmation. He nailed it when he said to those who tried to derail his nomination to the high court, were engaging in a “high tech lynching.”

(Andrew) #16

Ageism exists, racism exists and sexism exists. I agree with @bigtomwoodcutter.

We should be colour blind so we don’t define someone by their colour. We should be blind to age, so, for example, we don’t ration health care based on a cost/benefit model. We should be gender blind so we don’t discriminate against Women or LGBT’s.

It is exactly the opposite of 'pretending. It is about not even ‘noticing’.

By highlighting differences, we perpetuate prejudice.

We should not prejudge injustice in discrimitory terms, but investigate the problem dispassionately and apply justice for the crime.

But these are all ideals. Humans live and understand their world by segregation. Be it through church/religion, geography, politics, education and wealth.

This is a great example of your own prejudice. Overlaying a racist element, where non before existed.

(Andrew) #17

But you must acknowledge, no one is saying they don’t physically see colour, or being aware of differences.

It’s about not using those differences for inappropriate purposes.

Naive, maybe, but the alternative is simply more injustice.

Here, I acknowledge that the USA has a particularly recent problem with racism and that it will take generations to work through.

At the moment, I don’t understand the author’s contention about Adventist education not ‘training’ him up on so called ‘Black’ issues.

Social injustice is colour blind. The racist issue is just one example of this injustice.

The purpose of education is to provide the tools and principles for the individual to apply in his or her own life. It is can’t and should not be about particular issues by vested interests.

To this extent, the education system seems to have worked. The author sees an injustice and is doing what he thinks is appropriate.

(Steve Mga) #18

It is Human to notice differences in others. We begin this as soon as we can develop enough words to begin talking and asking questions at the same time we are learning to walk, get around our environment, and notice.
What we need to begin learning as Humans at an early age is that it is OK to be “different”. And not only OK to be different, but it is OK to engage in the culture of those who are different from us and allow ourselves at an early age to “celebrate” those who are different. After all, WE–I am different from others, and it is just part of sharing that I would want to share some of MY culture over time with others. Things I enjoy about my culture. And hopefully, they would want to share the interesting things about their culture with me.
We dont necessarily have to become like others, or they like me. But we can have FUN with each other’s cultural uniqueness. To “try out” periodically their culture in dress, food, song, music, religious expression.

The problem with the Term “Segregation” is that it ALSO mean “Isolation”. “Isolation” of people groups from each other. A lack of Socialization with others from other “people groups” in a geological and sociological community.
It is natural for people with similarities to congregate together. This can have good side and a bad side. When I was a kid growing up in my big city in Ohio, there was the Polish part of town, Catholic parts of town, Jewish parts of town, Rich parts of town, other ethnic and color parts of town. By naming these “parts” of town, it encouraged one, if they were not like that, to NOT move into that part of town. Then each group would look to see what services others received, compare, and perhaps become envious, slighted in thinking the city is focused on “them” and not “us”. Even a Good Thing, Good Service can separate, like Low Income Housing. Low Income Housing can become a type of Ghetto and segregate peoples from the Main Stream of society.
Even Religions separate us. We are introduced to a particular style of worship, songs, ways of performing songs. Even what we wear in a Religious Service can separate us. Is the service “short”, it is “long”? A particular day for services.
And, each culture has their “Heroes”, those who have made a difference. When there is Isolation, those important persons are not able to be known by all the people groups in that society.
Here in my part of the South, Episcopalians from all over make a pilgrimage to Hayneville, ALA in August to celebrate the martyrdom of both blacks and whites during the Integration period. We meet at the courtroom where a man was declared Not Guilty by a white jury for shooting in cold blood a preacher who came to his store to purchase a drink. Neighbors refused to call an ambulance. Those with him had to find a phone to call a “black ambulance” and take him to a “black hospital”. We celebrate the lives of number who died for promoting “equal” in both the community and The Church. We celebrate the life of a black business man, left on the side of the road for the animals to eat, just because he was “too” successful.
Do Hayneville people join us? No. We are a curiosity to them. These are Not Their heroes. Do other religious groups join us? Not usually, these are Not Their heroes. BUT they are ours. In their deaths they provide Leadership for our lives as we celebrate them. Even those black persons who were shot or hung because they were considered “too successful”.
So what it comes down to is that EACH social group has its own Heroes. Names can be shared with other social groups, but the meaning of those lives may not be appreciated by that other social group, and so they say OK, but dont see the need to celebrate them. So small social groups keep their memory and their deeds alive from one generation to another.
Just like pilgrimage to Hayneville, ALA each Aug introduces a New Generation to great Role Models. Role Models who were persistent in attempting to “making things better.”

PS: The store owner was interviewed on camera about the shooting of the young white preacher from Mass. They asked him if he regretted shooting him. The 91 year old former store owner said, “No. I would do it again if I had the chance.”

(k_Lutz) #19

As a communication lesson, perhaps?

I sense that you recognise and respect individuals on their own merits, regardless of their obvious physical characteristics, that you concur with Peter when he said “Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons.” In this it is well and good to not conflate all of what you have seen and heard of persons with a particular characteristic variation upon that newly met individual. That would be prejudice, which relies so heavily upon pigeon-holing and generalisation which denies that one their individuality and its unique experience. May we all rise to that purity of heart.

Yet conversely, as sometimes “persecuted” minorities, we also understand that those unique identifiers have a history, both individually and collectively, which color (pun not intended) the individual’s experience in coming to be who they are. As others have said, pretending the black man is not black, is an injustice to him, a denial of his identity.

It is our opportunity to insist that ALL voices contribute to humanity. They all do in the ekklesia of Jesus Christ. Which causes me to be concerned that churches which claim that denomination yet show favoritism, whether in gender or race or whatever, have taken on the name of the Lord in vain!

These are trying times for the churches, as this age of instant information leaves no stone unturned as to matters of integrity; hypocrisy and prejudice are being discovered in all the wrong places. Pray that your church moves swiftly to blatant transparency, that its secrets cannot be held over its head by any man. Or God.

As these good gentlemen have pointed out, there is much more to the SDA experience than the formative anxiety of a few 19th-C. WASP men. Without all these other stories the communion cannot be whole.

Trust The BEing!

(le vieux) #20

There’s a key element right there. And the media is culpable in perpetuating these things. Prejudice is also a two way street. Why is it when a white cop shoots a Black suspect, it’s a racial incident, but when a Black cop shoots a white suspect, it’s ignored; it’s just law enforcement. I believe many of these incidents have nothing to do with race, but thanks to a few radicals and their media accomplices things get blown way out of proportion. And why is Black on Black crime rarely mentioned? And I wonder what would have happened if it had been Al Sharpton in a cop’s uniform with Michael Brown charging at him? Group hug?

What has been largely ignored in the Baltimore incident is the fact that half of the officers who were arrested were Black. If it is mentioned at all, it’s explained away or somehow made to appear as part of the whole racial prejudice scenario.