Adventist Peace Fellowship Announces New Leadership

On Monday, December 30, 2019, the Adventist Peace Fellowship announced new leadership to replace former director Jeff Boyd who stepped down after nearly five years in the role. Continuing Boyd’s work in the role will be co-directors Lisa Clark Diller and Karah Thompson. Also announced was new APF Board member Daniel Xisto.

The announcement from Thompson and Diller is republished below in full:

Dear Fellow Justice Workers and Peace Makers,

God works at His best when we feel our great need of Him. Thank you all for allowing Him to use you in His astonishing and yet often quiet and mysterious ways.

Our biggest change this year came when Jeff Boyd alerted us to his need to step down from directorship after nearly five years of leading the team. During his leadership we added staffing for the peace church and university chapter networks, started the podcast, and made connections with an increasingly diverse group of Adventists committed to justice. Thanks so much, Jeff, for your tirelessness on behalf of APF, both as secretary and then as director.

The new director is.... TWO people. Yes, it takes two of us to replace one of Jeff. We, Lisa Clark Diller and Karah Thompson, are the new co-directors. Look out for a podcast episode soon that features a conversation about this transition. Our focus will be on expanding the presence of APF at Adventist events, increasing social media, and developing a speakers bureau for churches and groups to tap into on the themes of APF.

During the leadership transition period, the APF Board added its newest member, Daniel Xisto, Pastor of Church Operations & Community Engagement at the Takoma Park Seventh-day Adventist Church. We welcome him to the team, and many of you already know him from his appearances on the Adventist Peace Radio podcast.

This year has been one of strengthening the network for peace within the Adventist church and in our Adventist Peace Network. This summer, our Adventist Peace Radio podcast partnered with Nathan Brown to produce weekly episodes following the Sabbath School Quarterly, focusing on social justice in Scripture. We were able to feature many of our APF partners and those working in local churches as well as writers and scholars who lift up Jesus' call to justice. The content has enduring value, so we invite you to catch any episodes you may have missed — “Least of These” series webpage.

Our church network continues to strengthen, with 2 additions in the works. And Marci Corea, our APF university chapter coordinator, visited three campuses this year, connecting with college students who are excited about our church's commitment to justice and peace. Two Adventist universities — Walla Walla and Southern — had Adventist Peace Week events, with plans to continue this tradition in the coming year.

We would love to be able to continue this work, and it isn't possible without your contributions. Thank you so much for thinking of APF at this time of year, especially as we transition our leadership and strengthen our core communication and support systems. To directly contribute to this mission, we invite you to give online by clicking "donate" here.

We are grateful for the mercies of God and the community of the saints and the encouragement that comes when we work together for the Kingdom.

Best,

Karah Thompson & Lisa Clark Diller Co-Directors, Adventist Peace Fellowship

For more information about Adventist Peace Fellowship, visit the website here. Logo courtesy of APF.

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/10127

Is Adventist Peace working for Peace inside the SDA Church?
OR, is it primarily for Peace outside of the SDA Church somewhere??

3 Likes

the website includes the phrase “for the healing of the nations”…i think this means that APF is primarily directed towards peace and social justice concerns outside of the church…

1 Like

“Healing of the nations” could mean all the nations that are part of
the Adventist Fellowship.
Over the past few years we have seen some healing needs around
the earth in the Adventist Fellowship.

1 Like

i think the word “nations” points to a domain outside of the church…otherwise they could have said “for the healing of the churchwide family”…the website also makes the following statement:

“The APF is not officially affiliated, funded, or controlled by the Seventh-day Adventist Church in any way and does not speak on the Church’s behalf.”

i think this lack of GC coordination and endorsement pretty much rules out internal issues like WO, racism, regionalism, LGBT, etc…my impression is that APF is like T1P: adventists are involved, but it isn’t GC endorsed…

Remember the one Tribe in Africa that butchered and burned alive members
of the other Tribe. Adventists killing Adventists. THIS was a center where a
LOT of healing needed to take place.
This is just one example, even though it is quite extreme.

3 Likes

yes, chief shaka led his zulu kingdom to victory over the ndwandwe tribe in the famous ndwandwe-zulu war of 1817-1819, and is an immortal hero…but africa was never a homeland in which all african tribes lived together in peace…the zulu were known for war, with expansionist intentions, and were the most powerful force in s. africa at one time…but there were many other tribes who were also constantly at war…

our church, on the other hand, is at least theoretically an organic unit geared towards peace, but of course there are many factions rooted in misunderstandings…it would be good if APF could concentrate on the church, but i get the feeling they’re more into Black Lives Matter and greta thunberg…

Steve,
I believe it’s outside. The inside peace is in the hands of the “Kompliance Komrades”… :laughing:

1 Like

Sounds very PC. What does this group actually do? It was my naive impression that the church itself is supposed to be a “peace fellowship”. Sound redundant. Secondly, if the SDA community can’t manage peace within its own “fellowship” what can it possibly accomplish elsewhere? Just asking…

4 Likes

The theology is all wrong here. Men will never “heal the nations”. Jesus himself said Do not think that I came to bring peace on the earth; I did not come to being peace, but a sword.

It may make us feel better to be talking about peace like we’re actually doing something. Then there are also the signs we like to proclaim - While they are saying, “Peace and safety” then destruction will come upon them suddenly…

I’m not a calamity howler, but the current climate is all about maintaining peace and brotherhood. While that is laudable, we forget human nature and the reality of the situation… The only way to peace is through the Spirit Jesus left for us; and it’s meant to encompass God’s people. Even the Christmas declaration the angels sang is miss-interpreted. It’s not “peace on earth, good will toward men;” but “peace on earth toward men of good will”. I think we’re forgetting the basics and jumping on the current bandwagon.

By this they will know you are mine. - refers to the fruit of the Spirit which brings love for one another. Let’s start there.

3 Likes

I appreciate the work of Adventist Peace Fellowship. I believe they are approaching our conflicted society in a comprehensive fashion that includes approaching the topic within the church and within the context of how the Adventist church relates to the broader community.

Sure, there are a few zinger texts that could make a person want to turn passive and give up on being a peacemaker. However, a prooftext theology can also find many texts that add buttress to peacemaking. The podcasts that supplemented the 3rd quarter SS Lessons are an invaluable contribution to our understanding and application of scripture as a whole. Nathan Brown showed us that peace and justice are continuous themes in all scripture. Even the last few chapters of the book of Revelation have reference to the tree with leaves that heal the nations and so much more.

Nurturing peace, the task of our moment, requires perception and the courage to speak, act and listen. Maybe we can learn something. Maybe there is a better way. There are always naysayers. Adventist Peace Fellowship has been a positive contribution to our community. I trust Karah and Lisa to carry on with this work.

5 Likes

One of the current Popes, the one more active ( :rofl: ), wants to join the APF. His interest is in establishing a ministry of “peace by shaking people’s hands”… :innocent: :innocent:

I actually like this Pope a lot. He does not take BS, “Beople’s (hand) Shakes” … :laughing:

1 Like

Yes, it’s certainly not popular to push against a peace initiative of any kind. Some of us have been in the trenches for such a long time that we feel it’s time to make it all count. Too often outreach is simply rhetoric without power and the change that is needed , and we too often preach to the choir. I guess if you can’t say something nice it’s better not to say anything. I have nothing against this organization - didn’t know it existed; but given the condition of the church it seems we’re “reading recipes to the hungry” if there are any left that are “hungering and are thirsty”.

2 Likes

me neither, and as i think about it, i believe there is a valid niche for adventist influence in our world that isn’t necessarily associated with the three angels’ messages…one of the strengths of ADRA, in my view, is its perceptual independence from our church…there is a lot to say in favour of charity, conflict resolution and participation in worthy causes like climate change that isn’t denominational…

personally, i would love to see an adventist group dedicated to exposing corruption in politics…so much of what we’re seeing now seems to be passing under the radar of objective consciousness because of hyper-partisan instincts…i don’t think i’ve ever seen so much that is clearly false being swallowed whole by so many…

that video is worth seeing again:

too bad he apologized afterwards:

1 Like

To expect perfection in any religious leader is asking too much. The video is sad and I am willing to accept that the pope is sincerely sorry for way he reacted. To use this incident to support religious propaganda sometimes promoted in and by some quarters of Adventism is to display a lack of sensitivity and refinement.

4 Likes

I have a friend who worked with ADRA in the Middle East quite some
years ago. There was a certain amount of “giving the gospel”, but had
to be done with great care.
I don’t know what other ADRA people do in more safer parts of the
world.
But advertising that the work is done by SDAs has a certain amount
of evangelizing to it.

i agree…just the acronym can be expected to promote curiosity and at least some good will…

i think evangelism now, especially in developed countries, is hard…practically everybody’s heard something and has formed conclusions…something that promotes concerns other than a church is probably the most effective way to at least start something…according to egw’s Great Controversy, the vaudois handed out copies of parts of the bible under the guise of selling silks and jewelry…

First, a sincere thank you to Jeff Boyd for his consistent, inclusive, and creative leadership. Jeff is an Adventist who earned an MDiv in Peace Studies from a Mennonite seminary. His approach has always been biblical, progressive, intrepid, and practical.

Rather than merely speaking/posting out of shallow ignorance and knee-jerk aversion, we would all do well to research (all it takes is two clicks) what Adventist Peace Fellowship professes and produces. As examples, Jeff’s podcasts and work have taken on these and more topics:

Doug Morgan and Ron Osborn began this noble organization which has received far too little press and priority. I look forward to supporting and working with Lisa and Karah on APF, and encourage all Adventists to do likewise.

2 Likes

Wow. This gave me pause. A prooftext theology. A complete abuse of scripture. And that’s what we have, isn’t it?

2 Likes