Andrews University Faculty Senate Issues Statement on Race and Justice

(system) #1

In a message to Spectrum Magazine, Nicholas Miller, Professor of Church History and Director of the International Religious Liberty Institute at Andrews University, wrote, "In relation to your coverage of Adventism and Race Relations: I am pleased to announce that the Andrews University Faculty Senate, of which I am privileged to serve as chair, voted the following statement on Race and Justice at our final Senate meeting of the year:

The members of the Faculty Senate have watched with great sadness and concern the events of the last few weeks of ongoing incidents of racial distrust and conflict in a number of America’s major cities. In Ferguson, Cleveland, and New York, events have unfolded that, whatever one’s race, color, or ideology, can only be seen as tragic. The loss of life is always the sad result of our fallen, sin-sick world. Such losses are made even harder to deal with, however, when the circumstances surrounding them seem senseless and unjust, especially for those who have historically experienced mistreatment at the hands of those in positions of authority. We have far to go as a society in achieving a system of justice that is viewed as fair and impartial by all groups of people.

We today affirm our commitment as leaders and representatives of the faculty of Andrews University to work for justice, peace, and reconciliation in our society, as well as in the Seventh-day Adventist Church. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the families and friends impacted by the conflicts and losses in these events. We call on our colleagues and community members to join with us in prayer and action to seek the scriptural goal of having “justice roll down like waters, and righteousness like an ever-flowing stream.” (Amos) 5:24 (NASS). As disciples of Jesus, who are instructed to daily seek the kingdom of God, we are committed to implementing His principles today. We look forward to this aspiration being fully realized in the earth made new.

On Saturday, December 6, several hundred Andrews University students participated in a peaceful demonstration against police violence and racial injustice and the AU campus on through the streets of Berrien Springs, Michigan.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6484

(Thomas J Zwemer) #2

One should read the work of Raul’s on Distributive Justice., Thanks you Andrews. Tom Z

(Steve Mga) #3

I am trying not to be cynical, but is this statement by the Administration and action by the students just another “ME TOO” type of activity?
It is one thing to make a statement, It is quite another thing to HAVE a Plan.
WHAT is their Plan?

(Allen Shepherd) #4

A. 10 businesses burned. Economy of town disrupted, something that will take years to bring back. Police’s hands tied and morale destroyed. Whole nation in turmoil, agitated by tax evading rabble rouser and others.
B. Felonious thug, who bullied store owner, shot by officer in self defense after being asked to step to curb.

So, who suffered the injustice Andrews is protesting about, A or B?

The New York and Cleveland cases had nothing to do with race, and were accidents or the result of split second decisions. Was there injustice there? Yes, but not of a racial type, and not premeditated.

I think the police have been castigated unjustly, They have a job to do, and are doing, by and large, the best they can. To denigrate them is to invite anarchy and disorder. We are apparently on our way to this. And I don’t think the faculty nor the students have helped ameliorate this situation.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #5

that should be The Theory of Justice. i am taken with his concept of the Veil of Ignorance. how does one arrive at a position of fairness? Can walking in another man’s shoes open or close the mind? Tom Z

(Interested Friend) #6

You are correct but isn’t it now quite popular for academia to demonstrate its devotion to political correctness?

I’m appalled that there would be an insinuation of injustice when a group of citizens, the grand jury, have evidently not found alleged injustice. I’m really disappointed that Nick, an attorney, would be willing to endorse this exercise.
In The Grip of Truth

(Thomas J Zwemer) #7

Has anyone kept count of the number of police shot since Jefferson ? my newspaper reports two just yesterday. The human cry is for mercy not justice. the well know verse “what doth The Lord require of thee but to --love mercy, to do justify and to walk humbly with thy God”. love means to give not to demand. In short the prophet suggests that we treat others as we would have God treat us. I am now a handicapped old man. I am continually amazed at the kindness I receive from total strangers. But get into a car and all bets are off.

Out of the 1970-80’s arose two conflicting views of redemption. one out of the Review Why Jesus Waits a view toward protectionism and the other from a discredited Bible teacher Peter Jarnes–The Everlasting Gospel. both set their case on the writings of Ellen White.

Adventism chose the Perfectionistic route and has become a voice to the right of Fox News. So it is refreshing to fine that Andrews is marching to a more tempered drummer. Tom Z

(Elmer Cupino) #8

Has anybody seriously considered that there might be bigger factors than “race and justice?” How about family dynamics including education and economics? Simply because the victims were black does not mean color may be the only common link. Certainly we’re more intelligent than that.

I see a different shade as a CMHC child psychiatrist and would suggest that the AU Faculty Senate check with the Dept of Social Work for elucidation.

(Steve Mga) #9

I am sure it is this way elsewhere. Here in Macon around Txgiving black gang members fired shots at a birthday party shooting one young person in the head, and then later fired shots at a convenience store-gas station. No protests and not a voice raised. Black on Black crime here, no one gets excited.
Funerals for the dead victims are quiet.

(Pastor RPM) #10

Now isn’t that the truth! Why not denounce all the criminals and their criminal activity instead of focusing more on the accusations against law enforcement being unjust? If citizen would be “law abiding” then may be we would not have police being stirred up emotionally and agitated by criminals who disrespect public authority and vent their selfish wills and resist arrest. Sure all police who go beyond legal and reasonable action should be dealt with, but not in the absence of also dealing with criminals and criminal activity.

(Randle Patrick) #11

Those that can do:

Those that can’t pontificate from AU

(Tammy Roesch) #12

Why is there nothing said about the demise of the black family, and the lack of parental authority pouring over into the lack of respect for police officers? Had these kids been taught to obey, I doubt that any of them would be dead today. “OBEY & LIVE” is still true.

(George Tichy) #13

Disobedience being punished with dead sounds “a little harsh” to me.
But it must be just me… More committed Christians may have developed a more refined view on this issue.

(Denny) #14

Start a regional conference, its called brown people out of sight brown people out of mind, its worked since the 1940’;s

(Denny) #15

Black on black crimes get the same public exposure as white on white crime…

(Denny) #16

You have never been a young black person in a white world have you? It shows.

(Denny) #17

Society has few committed Christlike persons aka Christians but plenty of churchgoers