Annual Council Votes to Continue Dialogue on Unity and Reconciliation Process

(John H. Elder) #22

There is another body of those God has redeemed from the mental, physical, and spiritual malady of drug/alcohol addiction. The fruits of the Spirit are apparent in Alcoholics Anonymous meetings, Narcotics Anonymous meetings, Cocaine
Anonymous meetings, etc. How have these fellowships of broken, wounded, self-centered, opinionated redeemed been able to survive for so many decades?

The various 12-Step fellowships also have 12 Traditions that guide in their governance. They can readily be found online, but I’d like to cite a few of them:

1. Our common welfare should come first; personal recovery depends upon AA unity.

2. For our group purpose there is but one ultimate authority - a loving God as He may express Himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants; they do not govern.

3. Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities.

While we Adventists have figured out that we ought not to take the first drink, might we learn something from the work God does within these fellowships, especially the wisdom of unity, service, and recovery?

It spoke in SA as well, but I don’t hear those calls to respect that vote. Oh, and it was the world body, not just a few leaders. I accept all the votes… do you?

(Jan Sekyra) #25

The biggest problem I see with this document is how general conference “understands” delegates. According to our constitution, all delegates are appointed by conferences/missions/unions. I believe this was brought up during the discussion, but TW didn’t recognize this fact. Also, not all delegates are church’s employees, but lay members (btw. we need more lay members - young adults & women). That said, working policy applies to employees, not lay members. You cannot “force” lay members to sign an “oath” to 790 pages document that nobody ever read. Adventism should be different than Catholicism. It’s not from top to bottom, but bottom to top. All delegates are representing their areas (and institutions) and GC absolutely cannot limit this democratic process. Oh wait, I forgot how it works. You want others to be compliant, but you are not complying yourself, TW?

(Tim Teichman) #26

If I redefine your use of “body” to mean the entire body of the church, the body of Christ, then he’s really fighting most all of the body of Christ, at least the SDA part of it.

See https://atoday.org/opinion-poll-of-adventists-about-ordination-of-women/

• Only 10% of the church thinks the GC in session should vote on this.
  • A whopping 75% of the church overall supports WO.
  • Even in developing nations, 63% support it.

Taking into account the party line voters, who will tend to tell surveyors they support the more conservative position out of a misplaced sense of duty or guilt, the real/informed support for it is probably actually lower.

It seems clear that the body of Christ is more progressive than the church management, which is tragic. Jesus was a progressive, teaching something new and better. That spirit should be retained in His followers. Church leadership should push ideals that are better than societal norms, the best reflection of Jesus’ teachings possible. Among them is that we are all equal in God’s eyes and that the Holy Spirit gives us each gifts.

This should be a wake up call to Ted Wilson to join us all in the 21st century and give it up: Few think banning women from full church service is right. I suspect if you run the survey again in a year, even fewer will. And the year after that, and the year after that.

(Terry Whitted) #27

Marcus - I fear you have things backwards. The Working Policy allows for the Unions to ordain whom they choose. Those who oppose this are opposing the Working Policy.

(Pensiero) #29

Bro Wilson. I’d like you to answer this question honestly and with the greatest integrity as you stand as president of the GC: “The document discussed at the recent Annual Council ( I underscore the word COUNCIL) Were those who voted to send it back wrong? Should they have voted otherwise?”

(John Carson) #30

A year ago I was privy to impromptu conversations between NPUC administrators and serving NPUC Conference Committee and GC Autumn Council delegates, I can tell you that those conversations while seemingly supportive of WO also seemed even more strongly supportive of the concept of unity, and seemed willing to make the WO issue subservient to the unity issue. At least that was the impression I was left with after hearing the conversation.

(George Tichy) #32

It sounds like looking for unity by supporting dis-unity.

I wonder what is their (males’) rationale for allegedly trying to create unity by discriminating against ca 62% of the Church members. I feel some dissonance in it…

Well…, on a second thought, … maybe they forgot to say “Male Unity”… Sure!