Authorship of Hebrews: Reviewing Cortez’s Case—Part 1

Recently, Félix Cortez published an article on the Spectrum website arguing that Paul the apostle was the author of the Letter to the Hebrews in the New Testament. This essay, published weekly in four parts, is a review of that paper and its evidence and findings, a response to the elements of his case, and a summary of my own views on the issue.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11677
1 Like

OK, very good, very interesting.

Since my age of ten ( ! ) - listening to the retired framers discussion on Hebrews in August 1948 in my grandfathers livingroom - I have a keen interest on the book of Hebrews. Thsi was fosterd by me insisting to to the vetry college with then traditionallly affording four years of Greek, six classes the week and homework and coming in love with this soundful language - - and also having read with keen interest Tholucks “Kommentar zum Brief an die Hebräer” - - - And I have studied my personal friends Otrfried Hofius studies to “Sabbatismos” and " Der Vorhang vor dem Throne Gottes" - and had a personal encounter with him.

• no, “Letter to the Hebrews” - these are not Pauls words .

Gladly seeing forewards to your part two on the matter !!

It is good to bring up this information. When it comes to Mrs. White saying something like “Paul Said…” and quotes Hebrews, is a question of exegesis. Mrs. White told what visions did and did not do for her. Often in correspondence with Elder Haskell. She and Haskell had very different views of inspiration, both were frustrated that they could not convert the other to their view, but they still remained very close friends. After her death the discussion continued with Willie. Despite Willie repeating ideas his mother said, Elder Haskell was not as friendly towards him on this topic.

Mrs. White saw herself as having visions that were like photographs that she would then have to describe as words. She saw her mission as making applications in first, encouraging Adventists not to give up their 1844 experience. Then as God’s guidance in the formation of the church, followed by educational and health work. And to give testimonies on things that were hurting someone’s connection to God.

When it came to exegesis, she would either ignore the questions, or reply with similar statements to saying that writings are not to be used to tell what the meaning of the daily is. Or that these types of questions she does NOT get any special insight on and that it is OUR job to study for the exegesis of the Bible. In my opinion, her words sounds to me like she was baffled as to why so many wanted her to answer the questions of exegesis instead of doing it themselves. She talked about how she loved visiting the museums in Europe looking at the archaeological finds and how she just wanted to stay and learn more, but she needed to fulfill her mission and leave to help the publishing work and other church work in Europe.

1919 was an important year in our church, but in 1922 the church members decided to reject her message on how inspiration works as most of the church accepted Elder Haskell’s view, and Mrs. White does not even seem to come in second or third, Those two spots seem to have been argumentilly which is silver and which is bronze, but the leader’s who’s thought evolved into what is often called “Historic Adventists” and those who only want to make Mrs. White a “Pastoral” prophet.

We have formed a “Myth” of what a prophet SHOULD be. They do not meet this standard, but we either pretend that our favorite prophets meet this standard, or else we throw them out. If Mrs. White were alive and read Cortez’s case, she could well have left a comment that her writings are not to be used to identify the author of Hebrews.

A second issue is that there is some evidence that Hebrews may have been written around 70 AD to explain why the fall of Jerusalem did not lead to the Second Coming. Paul died too early to do this. When we get to heaven we can finally have this mystery solved. For the time being, I expect Jesus to introduce us to a man named Hiram Ben Ed, who after crying when he realized that Jesus was not coming when expected, went out to encourage other believers and while crossing through a grain field the message of Hebrews came to him

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.