Bert Haloviak, Renowned Archivist and Adventist Scholar, Dies at 84

Bert Haloviak, known for his work as director of the General Conference Office of Archives and Statistics, where he made influential discoveries about Adventist Church history and led the digitization of church records, died on October 19. He was 84.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/12036
3 Likes

a pioneer and a legend! My he rest well… till the Sound of the Last Trumpet!

2 Likes

We met at AUC. I had just arrived in the Thayer Dorm and passed the room where he was playing the piano, effortlessly. A lovelier man I have never known. Smart as a whip he was soft spoken and cheerful in that unique manner of his, quick to chuckle and give you that special twinkle in his eye. I am saddened for Mary and his remarkable children. He was special!

6 Likes

A great loss.

The work of putting the church archives online opened them up to a much wider audience. A major step towards understanding our future is understanding our past…

4 Likes

Bert Haloviak connected the dots between the past and the future while enjoying the present. He opened his house and heart to all manner of engaging, insightful, courageous people and conversations. And he allowed his young children at the time, Kendra and Brent, to stay hidden behind the GC archives’ great vault door–reading or playing squealing tag down the quiet corridors–whilst he “babysat.” I love that story; it makes Adventist history come boisterously alive. Of course, that was ever his aim.

3 Likes

I want to pay tribute to Bert for his work in putting the archival documents online and within reach of researchers. I personally use the treasure trove of documents almost every day.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.