Bill Knott Not to Be Reappointed at Adventist Review

Bill Knott, Executive Editor of the Adventist Review and Adventist World will not be reappointed to that role at Annual Council next month. He will have been Director of what’s now called Adventist Review Ministries for 15 years.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11988
2 Likes

Bill has his faults, but he built Adventist Review into a media house that’s worthy of recognition. That is a threat to leadership and those who are the puppet masters of leadership. You cannot create content that encourages people to think for themselves; they need to be lead like 3ABN and Amazing Facts.

This is the first of changes to come at Annual Council. The next round will be directors, who were appointed at GC Session, but now have suddenly felt “the moving” to step down so that pre-selected persons can take their place at a controlled Annual Council as opposed to the wide, less controlled, world represented GC Session.

This is Ted in his Beast Mode: call committees that have quorum with just his selected to push agendas that are ASI (the fundamentalist vein) driven and self serving, push out those who he thinks have slighted him (remember what he did with Jim Cress’ Noah display because Jim moved Ministry magazine from RHPA when Ted was president), or just because he now knows he has three years to seed the GC with fundamentalists (Whitsett, Canals, Howard, Justin Kim, Clinton Wahlen, McChesney, et al). As it was in Judges—everybody does what is right in their own eyes (while gouging everybody else’s). Nobody can stand up to the man so he will do what he can to line the halls with loyalists and those funded/controlled by the puppet masters.

6 Likes

This is news at its best :wink: Plain facts - no background … Lots of room for speculation. :innocent:

Seriously … I am interested as to what is going on. Is there a reason (like retirement)? Is there a designated successor? Will TW be the editor in chief?

It certainly sounds foreboding.

12 Likes

So while we’re speculating, let’s check some of the facts out, for a position of this calibre, if retirement was on the cards then it would have followed a similar path to the previous editor Williams Johnson with lots of notice given and a selection committee of sorts appointed to recommend his replacement. With a few weeks left before Autumn Council, something else is in the mortar!!

Secondly, while the Adventist Review (being the official paper) was generally pro GC, there was an obvious increase in articles relating to womens ordination, education and social justice taking them more to the centre. This must be frustrating to the current administration and a change was definately on the cards.

We’ll have to wait for some further inside info but let’s continue to pray for our church.

6 Likes

Isn’t is astonishing? Do people like Ted Taliban really believe that nobody in the audience sees what they are doing and the politics they are playing? What is it that makes them assume that their actions are not noticed. Do they believe that the people around them are all faulty of intelligence?

What is still more astonishing, though, is that they maneuver to be re-elected!

4 Likes

Bingo!
Any deviation from Ted’s radical positions will, sooner or later. be grounds for dismissal. Only sycophants will survive! Isn’t it a shame that these things are happening in a religious, supposedly Christian realm???

6 Likes

I wouldn’t mind to help out … :innocent: :laughing:

About the speculations: AT reports that it was his own request, as he has plans that he will share in the coming weeks. I don’t have enough political background to know if this is a “diplomatic” phrase …

4 Likes

I think Bill is about 65 years old. He has been an excellent and positive influence at Adventist Review. His “Reclaiming the Library,” which received Award of Excellence from the Associated Church Press in 2014, is one of the best editorials he ever wrote. He will be difficult to replace.

5 Likes

To take a contrary position, a new editor in the mold of TW could be a good thing. A further decline in the growth of the Adventist church could be the result.

4 Likes

That’s a strange thing to say, bill1.

1 Like

I thought some might see it that way. I may be facetious, or I may not. The Kingdom of God may be contained within the SDA church, or it may be much greater than the SDA church. Human kingdoms come and go, including religious kingdoms - although these are much more tenacious.

Now lets say that the new editor is more in the mold of TW, and this increases the pressure on women not to be accepted as ministers. If a woman has been called by God to be a minister, should she do this within the SDA church, where her services are not welcomed, or do it outside of the denomination? If God has called this Godly woman, perhaps God gets more value from this woman if she serves in another faith setting.

Of course, I can’t speak for God. Neither can anyone else here.

4 Likes

when i was a freshman at AUC, Bill was a senior…he presented quite a few of the worship services in the boys’ dorm…i always thought he was seriously gifted, and a very able speaker…his presentations were consistently thought-provoking…

my hunch is that Bill has put in a request to no longer continue with the Review…he likely is at a point in his life where he wants to pursue more stimulating challenges…my feeling is that the Review has become a bit of a dud…it’s disabled all capacity to comment, which is a major turn-off…why would anyone bother to read something they can’t respond to…

6 Likes

In my experience, most SDA journals/magazines don’t welcome feedback unless it is positive, or so seriously weak so as to not offend anybody. What they fail to grasp is that they are “breeding” a Laodecian church. It is far better to “offend” and create a reaction, than to be so full and uninspiring and your audience have no reaction.

11 Likes
3 Likes

Wondering aloud… since attorney, and historian Nicholas Miller is leaving the SDA Theological Seminary/AU, perhaps Bill Knott has been earmarked to take Miller’s place?

Oh Kate, we know well how those “it was his own request” things work, don’t we? Having known the “system” for a while, I am persuaded that he suffered pressure and before hell broke loose, he was smart to abandon ship!

I heard that my good friend Loren @lorenseibold from Adventist Today is planning to apply for that position… :wink: but I am not sure they are hiring Jesuits at this time… :scream::roll_eyes: :joy: :rofl:

3 Likes

As I understand it Nick Miller is still going to be working for Seminary/AU though heading east, but the Lake Union PARL Department is now open.

1 Like

He is one of my favorite speakers. Every time I have heard him give a devotional or sermon I have always been challenged and satiated with good food.

3 Likes

Bill’s father was one of my English professors at AUC…he was also very bright, and an excellent speaker…this family just has a lot of natural ability…

2 Likes

While I am not necessarily an apologist for Ted Wilson, I would point out that the church has grown from 17 to 22 million in his dozen years which would represent an expansion of about 1/3. That’s not really a decline, unless, of course we are redefining words.

1 Like