Bill Knott Not to Be Reappointed at Adventist Review

Elder Knott is not leaving of his own accord. Elder Wilson is a passive-aggressive bully who is pushing him out of the equation. Wilson has sold an image about him to millions that is not the same those who are close to him have witnessed. I wish someone would record him how he acts when things are not done according to his will. He might keep parroting about the Second Coming but in his worlview, it is everythng about power and control. And the “Holy Spirit” often talking to him are the ASI millionairs and their wishes. Some of those who surround him are also to blame, as they keep giving him the votes he needs to pass his latest whims. I was told the rot reaches several of the vice presidents, and other senior officers.

5 Likes

Ethical Journalism/Reporting? Why not one word in Heading or article about the following?

Adventist Review/Adventist World Executive Editor Bill Knott has sent a memo to the Executive Board of the publication requesting that his name not be considered for his current position for the next three-year term.

“I am requesting that the Executive Board of Adventist Review Ministries, and through it the General Conference Administrative Committee (ADCOM), not consider my name for the role of Executive Editor of ARMies for the balance of this quinquennium,” wrote Knott to the Board in the September 13 memo, referencing the remaining time before the 2025 General Conference Session.

“It has been the greatest privilege of my professional life to serve the church I love in this historic and influential role, but I am assured that the Lord is now pointing me in new directions. I expect to share more about my plans in the weeks ahead,” added Knott in the memo.

Please don’t mislead and leave out that Editor Knott requests to leave his post on his terms.

1 Like

Thanks for posting this info in public. People need to know how things are. Maybe they know but are pretending not seeing it. The “passive-aggressive bully” sounds correct based on his behavior. And, sure, Power & Control is his certainly his main business.

2 Likes

they could do what Spectrum does: post commenting guidelines, and then delete violations and persistent violators…what’s so hard about that…surely the Review’s budget, sustained by the Church’s tithe, can afford to hire moderators who could make sure commenting guidelines are followed…

but i think most commenters want to follow whatever guidelines exist…most reasonable people aren’t out to trip up the system…whatever knots and tangles cropped up at the beginning, as people were learning the ropes, would work themselves out over time, without inordinate work by moderators…the entire system would likely eventually go on autopilot…very little oversight would really be needed…

but my point is that the benefits of a healthy commenting community can’t be overlooked: increased reader interest, increased subscriptions, increased donations, and increased community impact…the Review could establish a niche - a conservative leaning, yet credible, voice - that is badly needed in our church…i think it’s probably trying to do this now…but without a vibrant commenting community, it’s never going to have much of an impact…

2 Likes

As long as comments flow freely, there is no “left leaning” or “right leaning” communities as commentators from both “sides” will participate (just like here). The actual publication is different, but the commentating community is neutral.

Different articles and different overall perception will attract a skewed audience but generally the commentators will come from across the spectrum.

George (also @plobdell3), that’s why I added in my post that I don’t know if his own request is more of a “diplomatic” phrase. The future will tell. We have seen too much not to wait for future statements and clarifications about the voluntary nature of all of this.

Isn’t it toxic that because of numerous experiences we are even hesitant to trust a resign statement? Mistrust is the sad new normal. And all that because of power, manipulation, blaming and a holier-than-though cultic development initiated by a religious elite playing Holy Spirit in trying to “purge” the church.

Anyways, blessings to Bill Knott for his new path.

3 Likes

i think in theory this is true…but it’s also the case that content determines the breadth of that spectrum…for instance, i know several intelligent conservative adventists who would consider it a denial of their faith to comment here on Spectrum…in fact we have the case of a relatively recent Spectrum commenter, someone who demonstrated a broad knowledge of issues during the time he commented, who has decided to forego commenting here because he believes Spectrum has become an activist voice for LGBT…he believes he can’t be part of this (i still have his “resignation” in my mailbox)…many people have said to me that they think my participation on Spectrum is inconsistent with my faith…

a right of centre publication that is intelligent and hard-hitting, well-organized and planned, would alleviate all of this…i don’t think more liberal commenters would have the same scruples commenting on such a site in the way that more conservative commenters do when it comes to a left of centre publication…

but my hunch is that a woman will be chosen to lead the Review, which i think by definition means a greater awareness of and concern for optics, inclusivity, tolerance, and the way people are likely to feel…who knows, maybe Bonnie Dwyer can be coaxed out of retirement :slight_smile: …i’m actually quite hopeful that reader response and participation will be restored to the Review before too long…i think it’s evident that disabling all commenting has been a mistake…

1 Like

Some people feel that discussing some matters is the same as engaging in controversies

2 Timothy 2::23 Don’t have anything to do with foolish and stupid arguments, because you know they produce quarrels.

But then if people see those who disagree with them as opponents, there are the following scriptures-

2 Timothy 2:24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. 25 Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and that they will come to their senses and escape from the trap of the devil, who has taken them captive to do his will.

Maybe some people would prefer to have discussions in person rather than on a format. That’s fine. Commenting forums provide an egalitarian medium for discussions and an opportunity for Christian unity.

I’ve seen some YouTube comments for videos from a popular conservative independent SDA media ministry accusing this ministry of deleting comments with opposing views. Some ministries have some truths but are lacking in a Christian spirit.

John 4:24 God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in the Spirit and in truth.

Christian unity isn’t holding identical views on doctrines and bible interpretations.

Hebrews 10: 24 And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, 25 not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching.

Adventist Today Magazine also has many good articles but for some reason not an active comment forum.

1 Like

Actually, the conversation on A Today is pretty active. They don’t limit the time for participation to a few days, so after a while the number of comments is significant. At least my experience has been very positive on that site.

2 Likes

Okay, thanks. The articles I’ve looked at appear to not have been commented on. Maybe the comments aren’t visible unless one is signed on.

The comments are always on a separate site, on Facebook. If you have Facebook and click on the “Click Here” at the end of the articles, you are automatically redirected.

1 Like

And how do you know that? Did Bill Knott tell you?
(I am not saying you are wrong but it would be interesting to know where you got that information from)

Several “coincidences” all came together in my mid-twenties that convinced me it was time to walk away from Adventism.

None of them had anything to do with personalities or the political stuff I’d been privy to as the son of a conference worker, some of which sound similar to what you’ve describe @GeorgeTichy , but those certainly didn’t do anything to further endear me to the denomination, either.

So my philosophical issues, combined with the fact that I don’t believe in coincidences, and to some minor extent my distaste for the insidious internal machinations of the church, coalesced to convince me that god was saying it was time to “shake the SDA dust from my Reeboks”.

And for the life of me the only thing I can think of that I miss is Van Knauss (sic?) playing the pipe organ at Sligo.

Oh yeah, and there was also that one time when the lady giving The Children’s Sermon in another church told the story of El Toro, the bull, who weighed 2,000 tons. I thought that seemed a bit “weighty” but my estimate was confirmed when my father-in-law leaned over and whispered, “That’s a lot of bull!”

:innocent:

7 Likes

Coincidences often do seem significant. Today in Mexico there was a 7.6 magnitude earthquake. Coincidentally there have been two other large earthquakes in Mexico on the date of September 19th in previous years. I looked up September 19th on Wikipedia to see what other notable events took place on that date. It just so happens that on September 19th, 1846 a Marian apparition was seen by two children in France. Some people who worship saints might feel that the earthquakes are a religious sign. It would also make an interesting story for the tabloids.

i think this is certainly true…one person i know, from my church actually, has said to me that he can’t understand how i can comment on Spectrum, given that so many comments turn in to vicious arguments (as he sees them)…my answer is that anybody can control himself in a back and forth…no-one needs to get upset…after-all, it’s just a laptop screen that can be easily walked away from…in any case, we have the example of Paul:

“Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry. Therefore disputed he in the synagogue with the Jews, and with the devout persons, and in the market daily with them that met with him.” Acts 17:16-17.

“And [Paul] went into the synagogue, and spake boldly for the space of three months, disputing and persuading the things concerning the kingdom of God. But when divers were hardened, and believed not, but spake evil of that way before the multitude, he departed from them, and separated the disciples, disputing daily in the school of one Tyrannus. And this continued by the space of two years; so that all they which dwelt in Asia heard the word of the Lord Jesus, both Jews and Greeks.” Acts 19:8-10.

there’s no question in my mind that Paul would be on Spectrum and other sites full-time if he were alive today…and he wouldn’t hesitate to jump into a dispute over anything he disagreed with…

but we also have a direct biblical command in Jude:

“Beloved, when I gave all diligence to write unto you of the common salvation, it was needful for me to write unto you, and exhort you that ye should earnestly contend for the faith which was once delivered unto the saints.” Jude 3.

i think disputing and contending about spiritual points are clearly biblical directives (2Tim 2:23-24 can’t be interpreted to neglect these directives)…saying something only when all possibility for disagreements are removed is a cop out, in my view…i think we need to be able to say what we think without expecting agreement in every case…we need to toughen up to be able to stand behind what we say…otherwise we’re useless wimps…

there’s the reality that some people cannot put their thoughts in writing…it takes them too long, or they can’t muster the right syntax or vocabulary to get their point across in a way that they feel makes that point effectively…these people are probably better off discussing things in person…

i’ve been commenting on Spectrum, i think, for at least 10 yrs…the only comments i see removed are the ones that violate commenting policy…Spectrum is very good at letting opposing viewpoints stand, however outrageous…this is quite different from a few other sites i can think of…

i think this is exactly true…in fact i think we advance as a church when opposing views are aired and examined…of course if people can’t stand the heat, they need to get out of the kitchen, as my mother used to say…perhaps they need to toughen up somewhere, and then try again…

Adventist Today (and Loren Siebold used to be a regular commenter here on Spectrum) has many problems, not the least of which is a very unappealing vertical layout in mostly different shades of browns, of all colours…they’ve put in a few splashes of colour beside article titles lately, but honestly, i don’t see how an artistic person can possibly be attracted to that site…then there’s the issue of having to take out a Facebook account - and have Mark Zuckerberg know everything about you - just to comment…one thing they have going for them is that the word “Adventist” is in their name, meaning anyone googling “Adventist” is going to discover them…but that’s about it, as far as i can see…i just think they need an extreme make over across the board…

1 Like

My experience in Adventism became bitter in the early 80’s when I became aware of the Desmond Ford issue. I had to re-study all my theology. And I did, only to realize that I’ve been duped by the SDAC in terms of doctrine. I then decided to keep my relationship with the Church limited to the local church I was attending. The Denomination became a non-factor. I read all the books that appeared at that time (Rea, Numbers, Paxton, etc). I was fortunate to establish a strong relationship with Des, by mail since I was living in Brazil. He really sustained my faith in those days.

Then, more recently, the revelations made by Steve Daily in his most recent book really showed me the way this Church is prone to fraudulency - and I decided that I no longer wanted to be part of this Sect. Covid forced Zoom sessions, so I found a few groups that are really good (E14 SS in Australia is the best, but I participate in others too, like Faith & Reason at Sligo, ATSS by Adventist Today, RBLSS at Loma Linda). This is my Church now. If I ever feel the desire to go to any physical church it WILL NOT be a SDA church. I am done with that denomination. Many Adventists (including a retired SDA Pastor) like the Anglican Church; some others like the Episcopal Church. There are many options.

By the way, I am just finishing Gil Valentine’s “Ostriches & Canaries” and it’s another confirmation that I should stay away from that denomination. I bet McAdams’ incoming book by the end of the year will be another collection of facts that totally discret the Adventist Cult.

2 Likes

That’s right. It’s good for us all to search scriptures, delight in them, talk of them to others and continue to learn from them throughout our lives. This is what God wants His children to do.

2 Timothy 3:16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Colossians 3:15 Let the peace of Christ rule in your hearts, since as members of one body you were called to peace. And be thankful. 16 Let the message of Christ dwell among you richly as you teach and admonish one another with all wisdom through psalms, hymns, and songs from the Spirit, singing to God with gratitude in your hearts. 17 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.

Psalm 119:12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
I will not neglect your word.

There are some who understandably might need to stay out of the kitchen- those processing trauma, or grieving a tragedy or who are physically frail. Then there are those who want to mentally ( and sometimes physically) exist in SDA compound, cut off from the world. Both types of groups- both the weakened and the comfort seeking are readily received by paternalistic type SDA ministries who want to spoon feed people their personal values along with biblical information and who also react to questions in a paternalistic manner. The kitchen is a good place to be. It’s hard to fall asleep in the heat.

True. Facebook has some uses but not everyone wants a part of that particular social experiment. I prefer reading Twitter.

1 Like

i think this was a development particularly prevalent in the '80’s and '90’s, in the form of quite a few independent ministries, formed by people who were convinced the denomination was in apostasy…i’m not completely sure everyone involved were intentional in the roles they were playing, but it did represent a drawing away from the body that, in retrospect, was regrettable…

i don’t think there is such a thing as cloistering oneself into a purer spiritual atmosphere without loss…what is need instead, it seems to me, is the ability to encounter all shades of faith and non-faith, yet maintain one’s vital connection with god and the sense of lift above the world in the HS…we see completely that Jesus did just this for his entire life on earth…

so true…there has to be at least one room in the house that isn’t a kitchen… :wink:

but i still think there’s more risk in person confrontations…with online, there truly isn’t anything to stop just changing the channel, or at the very least, maintaining a certain distance from the conversation as it’s unfolding…i see no reason whatsoever for anyone to allow an online exchange to get to them…

1 Like

Jeremy, I really appreciate your optimism. I wish I shared it. But my own (quite possibly faulty!) memory recalls that the original comments section was a wasteland.

From what I remember, the comments were very few, and fell into two camps. One was generic banalities: “Amen!” or “Praise God for this article!” or some random verse. There’s no discussion to be had there, because nothing of substance was said.

The second camp were also banalities, but from, frankly, jerks. If they disagreed on any minor point of the article, they’d express disbelief that the Review would print such a thing, and call it Satanic or Jesuit or whatever. They never explained why they disagreed, mind you; they just jumped straight to insults.

(Actually, this video of Jon Paulien is on YouTube, but the comments display what I mean perfectly. This is Part 3, and if they’d watched Parts 1 and 2, they’d understand what he really meant. But they can’t be bothered to do that, not when it’s easier to call him a false teacher and corrupt and so forth. They’re blind to how nasty they sound, and to how wildly ill-informed they are.)

Anyway, I don’t think they’ll re-add a comments section, and even if they did, I think it would require a lot more ongoing moderation than you do. But I’d like for you to be right.

Just have to say it… isn’t “knott not” a double negative?

Bill Knott Not to Be Reappointed at Adventist Review

7 Likes