Blogger Autobio: Kirsten Nixon

(system) #1

I was born in Roseville, California in 1987. At the age of three, my family and I moved to the small town of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Though I am a born and raised Adventist, I nevertheless attended public school for the entirety of my primary and secondary education. I graduated from Klamath Union High School in 2006 and am now a Junior, studying American History and Spanish through Pacific Union College (PUC). This year, I am enrolled in Adventist Colleges Abroad, studying Spanish at La Universidad Adventista del Plata, located in Entre Ríos, Argentina.

Aside form running and playing my flute, I have long had a fascination with public affairs and the whys and hows of recent history. When I am able to find time apart from my obligations to school or work, I prefer to read The Economist and local news publications (currently, I am battling to understand La Nación, a daily publication out of Buenos Aires).

During the summer months of 2007, I worked as an intern under the instruction of the Klamath County District Attorney in my home town, in Southern Oregon. During my time there, I sought to gain an understanding of the penal system and came to have a sincere appreciation for the study of law in general.

Because I have attended public schools for the majority of my education thus far, my experience with Adventism has been very different from that of my peers. Rather than being immersed in the Adventist culture, I have grown up apart, looking in from the outside. For this reason, my interest lies in the connection between the "Adventist Bubble" and the outside world.

In the future, I hope to gain a better understanding of the history and ideology of The Americas, and to eventually study law in the United States.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/118