Case by Casebolt: The 666 of Revelation 13

“Case by Casebolt” is a recurring series examining the prophetic interpretations that Ellen White appropriated from William Miller.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/12167
2 Likes

There is a group, Adventists among them, that have collected a large sum of money to make the William Miller house and church into memorials. Why we would want to elevate this person is beyond me. If this makes sense, perhaps we should elevate some mental hospitals to the same status. Why would it be important to know the date of Christ’s second coming when Jesus, Himself, said that no one, not even William Miller, knows the day nor the hour…and no, not even the month or year. Every predictor has become a laughing stock…not exactly a good image for our church.

Perhaps, Miller got into a batch of bad mushrooms or accidentally put some peyote into his soup.

Am I missing something? Or is this an elegant example of “A Beautiful Mind”?

7 Likes

Or Jim Carey’s “The Number 23”?

Or Cervantes’ Don Quixote?

Or the “apostle” Paul’s story who, tasked with persecuting those who have taken fantasy stories about Jesus too literally, ends up buying into the stories himself and, at the behest of his own fantastic, dream-encountered Jesus, goes around converting people to a new religion which is only Christian because Paul declares it to be such?

Too incredible to be true?

Exactly.

If someone wrote a story in which people had actually fought for a person who claimed to have come to bring peace into the world-or even worse, if a person came up with tales about armies going to war for a mysterious stranger/savior who never really existed-I suspect he’d never find a publisher, much less people who would pay for his “too real to be true” fiction.

2 Likes

Bruce, there are in fact incredible things happening lately. I just read some breaking news that a guy posted on Adventist Today. Here I copy it:

BREAKING NEWS:

The heavenly records have just been hacked and a ramson is being demanded. There is chaos up there, because they just realized that the backup service filed for bankruptcy and all records are lost.
Thus, the option now is either to pay ransom or to start the history of humankind all over again, a fresh start. :wink: Hope this time around Adam & Eve don’t mess it up again for us!!! :scream::roll_eyes: :joy: :rofl:

8 Likes

So, not only does Hasel show that Adventist exegetes contradict EGW and Miller, whom she says was divinely guided in his interpretations of biblical prophecy, but he also shows that Adventist exegetes misinterpret Daniel 8, as if it was speaking of taking away the true worship of Christ in the gospel age.

Daniel 8 pointed to the taking away of Jewish worship of YHWH in the temple by Antiochus IV. The imagery of sacrificial animals and the idea of the restoration of the Jewish temple fits much more naturally with the expulsion of Antiochus. Adventist exegetes resort to forced day year connections like Miller did that are not in the passage itself, use a forced understanding of nitsaq as meaning the Yom Kippur cleansing of a heavenly sanctuary of sin rather than what most translators see as restoration or putting back right (ostensibly of the Jewish temple after the expulsion of Antiochus), and extrapolate the little horn arising from the four winds rather than the four horns in order to make their case that of course still ends in 1844…the final point being a highly questionable assumption that makes no contextual or linguistic sense.

Also, to assume that Adventism has restored the true worship of God in the gospel age after papal distortion is also denominational hubris. Adventism throughout its history hasn’t and still can’t even get the gospel straight, let alone its distortions of biblical apocalyptic.

A mess all around that Adventist exegetes still cannot fully shed. EGW, with her erroneous take on Miller and his prophetic numerology, is still the reason…

Frank

7 Likes

What? They didn’t have “cloud” backup service? :wink:

7 Likes

They did, but after 1844 they took the chance to save the money and cancelled the service! :cold_face::cold_face: Now it seems that they have to start all over again, thus, Adam & Eve are hopeful that they will be Made Great Again!!! :wink: :wink:

2 Likes

Frank,
Me thinks that you learned too much about Adventism.
Are you a spying Jesuit as well? :wink:

2 Likes

I did have thirteen years of Catholic education, George!:wink::smile:

1 Like

Oh…, Frank, that explains many things now!!! :wink: :rofl::rofl:
I took 16 years of Adventist education, and look what it did to me! :scream::roll_eyes:

2 Likes

The article clearly shows that Miller was a crank caught up in delusional thinking. Confirmation bias fed every aspect of his formulae. EGW was a crank also, caught up in Miller’s delusion, as were the other SDA pioneers. Even as Casebolt demonstrates the extent to which the “claims” were made to fit prior conclusions, it is difficult for so many today, even with the clarity of hindsight, to acknowledge that which appears to onlookers to be a fantasy. Step one is to realize that the future is not there to be foreknown. Whether palm readers, mentalists, mystics, or prophets, no one can forecast tomorrow, much less thousands of years hence. Best to throw in that towel and score one for reason.

6 Likes

The articles clearly show that Miller was a crank caught up in delusional thinking. Confirmation bias fed every aspect of his formulae. EGW was a crank also, caught up in Miller’s delusion, as were the other SDA pioneers. Even as Casebolt demonstrates the extent to which the “claims/evidence” were made to fit prior conclusions, it is difficult for so many today, even with the clarity of hindsight, to acknowledge that which is obvious to outsiders to be a fantasy. Step one is to realize that the future is not there to be foreknown. Whether palm readers, mentalists, mystics, or prophets, no one can forecast tomorrow, much less thousands of years hence. Best to throw in that towel and score one for reason.

2 Likes

The notion that the Bible and EGW’s purported prophetic “gifts” does anything to establish SDA-ism’s claim to the title of “god’s remnant church” is as easily rejected by those outside the denomination as it is for the “faithful” to move past their irrational assertions.

How can it be said the two of Adventism’s first principles are reasonably baseless?

Because being resurrected does nothing to establish that a person is necessarily part of some tripartite godhead anymore than foreknowledge of future events is proof of divine inspiration, given that there is no logical connection between the facts and the claim, if indeed they are facts.

For the sake of argument, suppose a person repeatedly demonstrated the ability to move mountains with his mind but then went on to insist that these miracles also prove that 2 + 2 = 5 and that the sun orbits the moon.

Would any publisher believe the miracle worker’s new math and science and rewrite its text books accordingly? Or would they all instead stay the course on the grounds that whatever method he used in his legerdemain, it had absolutely no bearing on simple arithmetic or observed astrophysics?

Similarly, if Jesus was raised from the dead, or if EGW accurately predicted the course of history for the next three millennia, neither of these facts would do anything to establish the existence of the OT god, much less would these serve as proof that a necessarily omnipotent and omniscient god had bestowed any part of his presupposed power or intellect on any real, historical figure, whether past, present or future.

IOW, Adventist dogma is unsubstantiated by rational thought and can be logically dismissed for no reason other than that…

3 Likes

It is obvious that, since inception, Adventism was developed based on an insane,extreme, and uncontrollable pride; the pioneers were not humble people this why they needed to come up with something bombastic to boast about.

Thus, in their shamefulness due to the defeat of their delusional hope about a second coming in 1844 - despite the biblical warning against doing that - they had to create a new religious group that could claim superiority to all other Christian groups, i.e., a “remnant church.” IOW, “despite our shameful failure, we are superior to all other Christian branches; and we have a prophet for profit!” That’s where their idiosyncrasies came from, from mere human pride, based on “anything goes” if it serves the purpose.

If Adventists want to ever become a legitimate Christian branch instead of the current status of being a cult, they have to abandon their unbiblical beliefs/teachings. Meanwhile, if they continue converting people based on unbiblical teachings and delusional ideas, they are not a group worth to belong to.

5 Likes

I can levitate birds. Will you believe my extraordinary claims now?

2 Likes

That’s funny, Bart.

But you know what’s even funnier?

That Mr. Casebolt has systematically rinsed away whatever scraps of Vegeburger were left on EGW’s eschatological plate, and yet, the denomination still uses her “gift” to evangelize, particularly in Africa.

But wait.

That’s not funny, either.

That’s just sad and amounts to outright fraud.

Oh well.

I guess TW and the rest will just have to hope and pray that their probably nonexistent Jesus, if and when he ever does show up, is as forgiving of them as he supposedly was of everyone else in all the stories.

But that is funny.

Because in some of the stories Jesus sounds less forgiving, and even more unfunny, than the accounts of his dear old-and most likely equally nonexistent-OT dad….

:thinking:

5 Likes

They don’t have to worry. He isn’t coming. He never went anywhere in the first place. As Pope Clement XIII so famously said, “It has served us well, this myth of Christ.”

3 Likes

Satan got hold of the very ‘elect’ Miller, and through him deluded the Adventists!

Hi Linden,
It appears to me that the only image that your Church is concerned with is to project the idea that the Adventist Church is some kind of special church (thus the "“remnant church”) that is the 0nly denomination used by God to “evangelize” the world.
Well, how is it working for them so far? I read somewhere that the are more former Adventists (ca 45 mi) than current Adventists(ca 23 mi). This is, too, “not exactly a good image” for the SDAC.

2 Likes

Why does Satan need to always be blamed for people’s free will to choose what they want to do?

2 Likes