Columbia Union Issues Statement Regarding 2018 Annual Council Vote

Statement Regarding 2018 Annual Council Vote

The Columbia Union Conference Executive Committee issued this statement November 20.

It is with unwavering allegiance to and love for the mission, message and fundamental beliefs of the Seventh-day Adventist Church that we appeal to world leaders to reconsider the vote at the 2018 Annual Council to approve a document titled “Regard for and Practice of General Conference (GC) Session and General Conference Executive Committee Actions.”

This vote proposes to centralize authority at the GC and endorse an unprecedented level of control to bypass established policies, processes, constitutions and bylaws that address the situations we now face. It also conveys a concerning lack of openness to respond to missional needs in the local context as the church has intentionally and successfully fostered for more than 115 years.

We affirm the response of the North American Division Committee on November 6, 2018, which states in part: “The structure of the church is characterized by unity and diversity, as stated by Paul in 1 Cor. 12:12: ‘For just as the body is one and has many members, and all the members of the body, though many, are one body, so it is with Christ’ (ESV). Such unity in the body of Christ reflects a reality for which He prays in John 17. Honoring diversity in implementing the Seventh-day Adventist mission allows for effective response to specific conditions while still maintaining global values and identity, as exemplified in Acts 15.”

With mission and biblical unity as our focus, we continue to seek opportunities to promote wider understanding of the needs in the mission field in which we have been called to serve. We earnestly seek God’s guidance and leading, as well as the opportunity for conversation and collaboration with our brothers and sisters around the world.

We join with the North American Division and others who have appealed to the General Conference Executive Committee to rescind the vote on this matter. And we again appeal to church leadership to facilitate and pursue dialogue that plants seeds of understanding, promotes unity and seeks reconciliation.

“All this is from God, who reconciled us to himself through Christ and gave us the ministry of reconciliation …” (2 Cor. 5:18, NIV).

###

This statement originally appeared on the Visitor magazine website, the official media outlet of the Columbia Union Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. Logo courtesy of the CUC.

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/9222
4 Likes

This is what the NAD needs, the support from its Unions.

Thank you CUC for voicing so clearly your support again in favor of the elimination of discrimination of women from our Church.

How many Unions are left now to make their pronouncement either way?

5 Likes

The political and geo-cultural climates in the modern Seventh-day Adventist (SDA) Church, with their socio-economic ramifications/implications often make me wonder what kind of Heaven and New Earth God’s people are dreaming of existing in when God finally sets up His Kingdom. The unfortunate polarisation that is emerging seems to be based on an unfortunate superiority complex among First World Church Leaders (and perhaps the wider rank-and-file membership), which makes the SDA Church smack of an “Ichabod” situation to some of us simple-minded members of God’s world-wide church. Instead of placating ourselves with misplaced affirmations/declensions concerning “positions” or pet opinions shouldn’t we rather be weeping at the porch and declaring a fasting period for God to expeditiously finish His work so as to usher in eternity without the unfortunate trappings of thinking we are indispensable in God’s sight based on our “special” attributes of nationalistic imperatives? Brethren, the coming King of Kings is, indeed, at the door.

1 Like

Pleased to be part of Columbua Union Conference where our leaders have no ambivalence with what their mission requires.

9 Likes

Dear Columbia Union Conference (of which I am proud, at this time, to be a member):

How does this most recent piece of SDA psych-ops, below, affect, or change, your statement?

HA

The SDA General Conference is America Unsafest Religion on Earth.

I do not see the objections made by NAD, CUC and other entities to be coming from a First World superiority complex. What they really are objecting to is a forced compliance to a male headship ordination policy. Male headship is found in both the First World and Third World societies. NAD, CUC and others reject the male headship policy no matter what quarter it comes from. Their rejection statements do not suggest a superiority complex. Instead, the statements are made in the spirit of humility and graciousness.

6 Likes

Have you actually listened to the online speeches by the NAD President my brother?

The claim of objecting in humility is not borne out by the demeanor and language and clearly combative spirit of the video communications from the NAD President who seems to think that being based in the NAD gives such church members privileged standing in the eyes of God or His church on Earth.

1 Like

In reality, to the over-ruled differently opinioned members of any civilised society, the decision of the majority will ALWAYS feel like force, and yet that is what true democracy is all about even at GC level. The last time I checked, that has always been the manner how decisions by the church in GC Session have been made, and these decisions have been meant to be followed by the world-wide church of God as thus enacted, no matter how strongly any opposing voices have felt, been convicted of, or understood differently. To my perhaps very simplistic mind, true humility would be very evident and easy to accept if such dissenters would accept and enact these majority decisions despite their (dissenters’) strongly held objections to those GC Session decisions.

I appreciate your candor and viewpoint. I also wonder what lessons we are teaching to the youth at large, when church officers can’t or are unable to come together in harmony and fellowship. What if each of them could keep the best interest of the other in mind? Instead the leadership is dividing the church. History repeats itself, as seen in the land of Israel divided into Judah and Israel and later into different parties the Pharisees and Sadducees. No good can come from this. You think?

You make a good point. Yet we must remember that WO is not an issue of salvation, right or wrong or truth an error. We are justified by faith not our viewpoint on WO. It is a matter of conscience, culture and conviction. For the GC to force the educated convictions of others who feel they have Biblical support for their viewpoint–is not good leadership or judgment. When a church feels they have the right to suppress Biblical convictions reminds us of long periods of religious history where church decrees trampled over the conscience of others. This is where we are headed, true leadership would avoid this iceberg, at all cost. Agree?

4 Likes

Specify examples of ‘combative’ please.

2 Likes

I feel it is choreographed and scripted. There are no names of the individuals presented, leading to the possible conclusion they are employees or paid for their services. It tells me that I should submit my conscience to the church (not the Lord or Scripture), which is very dangerous. The short bullet points often repeated does not lent to further discussion. Their conclusion is final, as if no other opinion matters. It is not a balanced presentation giving room for disagreement with an open door for resolution.

I fear for our church, we are very politicized. Where are the leaders that can bring us together into an Upper Room experience?? "So now I am giving you a new commandment: Love each other. Just as I have loved you, you should love each other. 35 Your love for one another will prove to the world that you are my disciples.”

3 Likes

The basic problem is that Ted Wilson has no idea on the issues critical to unity.,He has a simple power base view My Way or the Highway.;One can believe in creation by fiat but not as to,6 thousand years. One can believe in vetting prior to ordination within making Gender a factor.One can believe in moderation without eliminating salt shakers.One can believe in mutation without being a neodarwinian. One can believe in John, Paul, and Peter as to the Christ event without being a Seventh Day Adventist. One not need to boo anyone you disagree with.rRoberts Rules of Order don’t invalidate Truth.DBeing in office does not mean being correct.,

4 Likes

It would help to understand the difference between “combative” and “assertive.” The NAD needs to be strongly assertive now since the GC and the 3rd world are not understanding regular, meek, logical language. They think that they have the right to impose here what they practice there. Big mistake!

And Ted Wilson should know better, but he doesn’t. He is so mesmerized with “power” that he can no longer see common sense. Time for “Repeal & Replace.”

3 Likes

Sounds like Saul before his Damascus Rd experience. Ted Wilson is in dire need of such an experience, IMHO.

3 Likes

A flayed power kept woman down. It has not knock her out.:grinning:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.