Could the Solution to the Church’s Stalemate Come Out of Africa?

(George Tichy) #81

Jeremy, I think @elmer already saw a few patients today… which may be a very sleepy experience… leading to a “slippy experience,” like in a Freudian slip… :laughing:

(George Tichy) #82

My moments of “un-awakeness” happen on Mon and Tue only… Then, five days of full awakeness…I highly recommend such a schedule… :wink:

(Red Livingstone) #83

I would love to return. They say, “You can’t go home again”, but I will defer to your professional psychiatric opinion on that.

(George Tichy) #84

Elmer, aren’t you asking the poor guy way too much? After all, that’s what he does best!!! :rofl:

(Elmer Cupino) #85

Since time only travels forward, we can never “go home” as home is always in the past, no matter how much we dress or grow our beards as the AC2018 splendidly showed. Right George @GeorgeTichy?

(George Tichy) #86

Well, probably by now they all shaved. I am only sad, actually angry, that they shaved themselves but left the elephant in the room bearded. And have no plans to shave the poor guy any soon:

Well, at least they are milking him… :open_mouth: :innocent:

(jeremy) #87

lol…the terminology alone would leave most people reeling…

And @gideonjrn, please do not answer a question with a question. Thank you.
[/quote]

MATT 22—

The Herodians asked a political question:
v. 15-17

The Sadducees asked a doctrinal question:
v. 23-28

The Pharisees asked an ethical question:
v. 34-36

Then Jesus asked a personal question that turned the tables on them:
v. 41-45

(Steve Mga) #89

George –
It appears that the Elephant is “milking” them. Ha! Ha!
Over time baby and teen-age Elephants DO Grow up!
And, they are long-lived. So around for a Very, Very long time.

(Kim Green) #90

Have you notified that our friend seems so shy in revealing the name of a competent teacher/paster. One gets the idea that no one “perfect” enough exists…just saying. :laughing:

(Kim Green) #91

It has been a long time since I read this letter…but they gave the church no recourse except to expell them.

(Kim Green) #92

Is there really any difference between “religious” or “secular”? :smiley:

(Elmer Cupino) #93

Imagine making a progress note documenting that part of CBT included a prayer? I wonder how Medicare would respond since there is no evidence-based study supporting the efficacy of prayer. George @GeorgeTichy have you ever billed Medicare for praying as part of the therapy hour? :wink:

(Ray Smith) #94

Lincoln, by whose authority do you make this statement? There is no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus and His promise is that He will never leave us, even when we face the toughest of times and start “wondering.”

(Lincoln Dunstan) #95

I don’t wish to be judgemental or impertinent, but if you are “wondering” with respect of the certainty of you Salvation, this is where I perceived the issue to be…uncertainty has been a hallmark of too many peoples “faith” for too long (particularly within Adventism)
. We are ALL saved, unless we choose to be lost!!

(Ray Smith) #96

Grace has already bailed us out as you put it as it did for the believers in all the seven churches.

Flirting with Moses is cheating on Jesus. In other words, law and grace is a toxic mix. Grace outshines the law as the sun outshines the light of a candle.

Put more simply, it’s grace that teaches us how to live and that’s way superior to living by law. Titus 2:11 suggests it’s time you stopped twisting your favourite verse in Romans 8:4 and discover the true meaning of the gospel of grace and what it means when Christ condemned sin in the flesh.

Living by the Spirit of life is for the born again believer. And that means living by God’s amazing grace.

(Cfowler) #97

The really interesting part is that Ellen’s story of the situation is so very different from what the actual church records tell us. When you dig deeper into things, and get more than one version of the story, EGW’s version seems to be a bit skewed most every time. :wink:

Exactly!

(Ray Smith) #98

I totally agree that much in traditional Adventism has clouded the assurance of salvation for many believers. Our salvation is not based on blind faith and any thinking person faces times when they wonder what it’s all about. If we don’t question and wonder, it suggests to me that we don’t think very deeply.

My reaction was prompted by your suggesting there’s a good chance the writer was lost. That could be the last straw for someone struggling with their doubts. We have a positive story to tell about everything that God in Christ has accomplished for us and continually does for us through His indwelling Holy Spirit. That is the only answer I have found for my doubts.

I’m still working on this one in my thinking. It’s a challenging statement. There seems to be a lot more truth in it than we may like to admit. It’s a question I think that must be understood in the light of Christ’s finished work on the cross. Whichever way it goes, it’s all by God’s grace that we are saved. Interesting statement!

(Steve Mga) #99

Grace effects –
“Teaches us to say NO to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age” – New International.
“Along with this gift comes the realization that God wants us to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures and to live good, God-fearing lives day after day” – Living Bible
“Training us to renounce irreligion and worldly passions, and to live sober, upright, and godly lives in the world” – Revised Standard
“We are instructed to turn from godless living and sinful pleasures. We should live in this evil world with wisdom, righteousness, and devotion to God.”-- New Living Translation

Appears to go BEYOND the “10”.
Heb 9:11-14 is part of the Liturgical Readings for Nov 4. “The blood of Christ will purify our
consciences from sinful deeds so that we can worship the living God.”
This seems to be Saying The Same as Titus 2:11.

(Kim Green) #100

Lol…around here there are clinicians who have incorporated Shamanism Practices. Really a different place in the world. :smiley: