Death, Life and Easter

(George Tichy) #21

It may be interesting to ask some Rabi on what day of the week did the Passover happened in that year. I remember reading the magazine published by the late Herbert Armstrong (The Worldwide Church of God, Sabbath keepers)), in which he argued that the Passover on that year occurred on a Thursday, that Jesus died on Wednesday, and resurrected on Friday. the Passover was also “a sabbath” but not “the Saturday Sabbath.”

Interesting view. Maybe Steve @niteguy2 can ask his Rabi friends on this.

(Steve Mga) #22

I can ask.
From Jr. and Teenage Sabbath School times I always heard that Passover began
on Friday night, but many Jews of the time believed all the WORK that went into
the celebration was not appropriate for “Sabbath” hours. So many of them
celebrated on Thursday evening as Jesus and the disciples did.
[could carry over the meditation, Torah, Psalm readings on “Sabbath” beginning
with Friday – 6th day – evening.].

James Tabor’s view: The Day Christ Died — Was it on a Thursday or Friday?
"The confusion arose because all the gospels say that there was a rush to get his body off the cross and buried before sundown because the “Sabbath” was near. Everyone assumed the reference to “the Sabbath” had to be Saturday — so the crucifixion must have been on a Friday. However, as Jews know, the day of Passover itself is also a “Sabbath” or rest day — no matter what weekday it falls on. In the year 30 AD Friday, the 15th of the Jewish month Nisan was also a Sabbath — so two Sabbaths occurred back to back — Friday and Saturday. Matthew seems to know this as he says that the women who visited Jesus’ tomb came early Sunday morning “after the Sabbaths” (Matthew 28:1)"

(David) #24

Interesting Meldouglass, thanks. Here’s another view of Matthew 28:1.

MATTHEW 28:1

This verse should read;

Matt  28:1   Evening and sabbaths (not Sabbath) the lighting up,
             ..., Mary Magdalene and the other Mary came to see
             the tomb.

This verse is often mistranslated. The start of this verse begins with the
Greek word for ‘evening’. However, renderings often incorrectly show the
word ‘after’.

The plural form of Sabbath at the beginning of this verse is not a reference
to the Sabbath which has just finished. Rather it is a reference to the
seven week period known as the ‘sabbaths’.

In this year, the day after the weekly Sabbath was not a commanded rest day.
For this reason the ladies were visiting the tomb with their prepared spices.
http://www.bibleinsight.com/sabbaths.html

(Steve Mga) #25

Perhaps a “HOLIDAY SABBATH – day of not working, of meditating” is much
different than the “7TH day HOLY TO THE LORD Sabbath which comes
weekly” on the 7TH DAY, followed by the 1st DAY [our Sunday].

(David) #26

There was one other event in Israel’s history where the weekly sabbath day coincided with the 1st day of the feast of unleavened bread and that was the Exodus. It doesn’t say it explicitly but we can infer it based upon the Ten Commandments given in Deuteronomy 5:15.

"And remember that you were a slave in the land of Egypt, and the Lord your God brought you out from there by a mighty hand and by an outstretched arm; therefore the Lord your God commanded you to keep the Sabbath day.

It was on the sabbath day that God struck the first born of Egypt, thereby setting Jacob (God’s first born) free.

The sign of Jonah was just that; a sign. It was not exact. Another sign Jesus gave the Chief priests and Pharisees was the sign of the destruction and raising up of the temple (John 2:19).

So the Jews answered and said to Him, “What sign do you show us, since You do these things?” Jesus answered and said to them, “Destroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up.

This verse is just another confirmation that a sign is not plain but figurative.

There are so many plain verses recorded where Christ told His disciples He would be raised on the third day.

Matthew 16:21
21 From that time Jesus began to show to His disciples that He must go to Jerusalem, and suffer many things from the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.

Matthew 17:22-23
22 Now while they were staying[a] in Galilee, Jesus said to them, “The Son of Man is about to be betrayed into the hands of men, 23 and they will kill Him, and the third day He will be raised up.” And they were exceedingly sorrowful.

Matthew 20:18-19
18 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death, 19 and deliver Him to the Gentiles to mock and to scourge and to crucify. And the third day He will rise again.”

Matthew 27:63-64 (NKJV)
63 saying, “Sir, we remember, while He was still alive, how that deceiver said, ‘After three days I will rise.’ 64 Therefore command that the tomb be made secure until the third day, lest His disciples come by night and steal Him away, and say to the people, ‘He has risen from the dead.’ So the last deception will be worse than the first.”

Mark 8:30-32
31 And He began to teach them that the Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and after three days rise again.

Mark 9:30-31 (NKJV)
30 Then they departed from there and passed through Galilee, and He did not want anyone to know it. 31 For He taught His disciples and said to them, “The Son of Man is being betrayed into the hands of men, and they will kill Him. And after He is killed, He will rise the third day.”

Mark 10:33-34 (NKJV)
33 “Behold, we are going up to Jerusalem, and the Son of Man will be betrayed to the chief priests and to the scribes; and they will condemn Him to death and deliver Him to the Gentiles; 34 and they will mock Him, and scourge Him, and spit on Him, and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again.

Luke 9:21-22 (NKJV)
Jesus Predicts His Death and Resurrection
21 And He strictly warned and commanded them to tell this to no one, 22 saying, “The Son of Man must suffer many things, and be rejected by the elders and chief priests and scribes, and be killed, and be raised the third day.”

Luke 18:32-33 (NKJV)
32 For He will be delivered to the Gentiles and will be mocked and insulted and spit upon. 33 They will scourge Him and kill Him. And the third day He will rise again.”

Acts 10:40(NKJV)
40 Him God raised up on the third day, and showed Him openly,

1 Corinthians 15:3-4New King James Version (NKJV)
3 For I delivered to you first of all that which I also received: that Christ died for our sins according to the Scriptures, 4 and that He was buried, and that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures,

Notice that Paul states “that He rose again the third day according to the Scriptures”. He makes no mention of three days and three nights.

I think it’s important to mention again the events recorded in Luke of the women preparing spices and then resting on the sabbath according to the commandment (4th).

Luke 23:52-56 (NKJV)
52 This man went to Pilate and asked for the body of Jesus. 53 Then he took it down, wrapped it in linen, and laid it in a tomb that was hewn out of the rock, where no one had ever lain before. 54 That day was the Preparation, and the Sabbath drew near.
55 And the women who had come with Him from Galilee followed after, and they observed the tomb and how His body was laid. 56 Then they returned and prepared spices and fragrant oils. And they rested on the Sabbath according to the commandment.

Then after they had rested on the seventh day they returned with their spices on the first day of the week.

Luke 24 (NKJV)
Now on the first day of the week, very early in the morning, they, and certain other women with them, came to the tomb bringing the spices which they had prepared. 2 But they found the stone rolled away from the tomb. 3 Then they went in and did not find the body of the Lord Jesus. 4 And it happened, as they were greatly perplexed about this, that behold, two men stood by them in shining garments. 5 Then, as they were afraid and bowed their faces to the earth, they said to them, “Why do you seek the living among the dead? 6 He is not here, but is risen! Remember how He spoke to you when He was still in Galilee, 7 saying, ‘The Son of Man must be delivered into the hands of sinful men, and be crucified, and the third day rise again.’”
The Road to Emmaus
So they said to Him, “The things concerning Jesus of Nazareth, who was a Prophet mighty in deed and word before God and all the people, 20 and how the chief priests and our rulers delivered Him to be condemned to death, and crucified Him. 21 But we were hoping that it was He who was going to redeem Israel. Indeed, besides all this, today is the third day since these things happened. 22 Yes, and certain women of our company, who arrived at the tomb early, astonished us. 23 When they did not find His body, they came saying that they had also seen a vision of angels who said He was alive. 24 And certain of those who were with us went to the tomb and found it just as the women had said; but Him they did not see.”
25 Then He said to them, “O foolish ones, and slow of heart to believe in all that the prophets have spoken! 26 Ought not the Christ to have suffered these things and to enter into His glory?” 27 And beginning at Moses and all the Prophets, He expounded to them in all the Scriptures the things concerning Himself…………….
44 Then He said to them, “These are the words which I spoke to you while I was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms concerning Me.” 45 And He opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures.
46 Then He said to them, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead the third day, 47 and that repentance and remission of sins should be preached in His name to all nations, beginning at Jerusalem. 48 And you are witnesses of these things. 49 Behold, I send the Promise of My Father upon you; but tarry in the city of Jerusalem until you are endued with power from on high.”

Note that Jesus didn’t say, “Thus it is written, and thus it was necessary for the Christ to be in the heart of the earth for three days and three nights."

The years 30 and 33 are the best options according to most scholars because the days of the week line up with the Passover sequence. I believe 33 provides the best option. I base that primarily on the chronology in Luke chapter 3. Luke’s chronology seems to dismiss the year 30 as being too early. There are a couple other reasons for choosing 33 but I don’t want to get into them here.

(Steve Mga) #27

Regarding “Holiday Sabbath” and “Seventh Day Sabbath” according to
my Rabbi last night – 5/10.
The difference he stated was that COOKING could be done on the
Holiday Sabbath.
Seventh Day Sabbath allows for No Cooking.

(Spectrumbot) closed #28

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.