Defining Progressive Faith

(system) #1

During the Progressive Faith Blog Conference, I attended a panel discussion by Rabbi Arthur Waskow (left in picture), Dr. Bruce Prescott (right) and Pastor Dan (center).

Pastor Dan operates the DailyKos interfaith blog community Street Prophets where he is continuing the conversation about what progressive faith means. He suggests that defining progressive faith should include:

1. Support for the separation of church and state
  2. Modernist or heterodox faith beliefs
  3. Getting something out of Martin Buber (this one wasn't entirely serious)
  4. Counterweight to the Religious Right
  5. Social Experiment

What do you think--using this definition--would Adventism fit as progressive? Do you think that he neglects something in his definition? Feel free to comment below.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/4528

(Carolyn Parsons) #2
  1. Yes, we have traditionally supported a clear separation of church and state. I believe this has been worn down in recent years as the church has sought political leverage in the halls of government in an attempt to protect its self.

2. Not generally. The official church is now driven by orthodoxy

3. No: quite the opposite

4. I think the church started with social experimentation. It was part of a social movement coming from the Millerite tradition. The church has been working very hard, especially lately, to develop a fixed orthodoxy and experimentation has been eliminated from the official church.

What is missing from this definition is what I consider the primary defining feature of progressivism, the expansion of our circle of family to include all peoples, no matter who they are and where they live. What affects one person, affects us all.