Deuteronomy and the Teachings of Jesus

Sabbath School commentary for discussion on December 11, 2021.

Editor’s note: This week's Adult Bible Study Guide lesson covers how Deuteronomy is referenced by later writings in the Bible. To go along with that discussion, here is an excerpt from Tom Stone’s book In the Shadow of the Pyramids: A Reflective Commentary on the Narrative of Deuteronomy that looks at connections between Deuteronomy and the teachings of Jesus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11541
1 Like

I appreciate this take on Deuteronomy and the Teachings of Jesus, also that the core of God is selfless, self-giving love, opposed to our own purchasing-power idolatry. I am reminded of the Beast and Babylon in Revelation 18, when the people of the world and the captains of the off-shore shipping supply chains are marveling at the final destruction of the fallen kingdom: so much waste of consumer goods! the gold, the jewels, the designer goods! the death of consumer culture! This shows (again) that God’s kingdom of selfless love has nothing in common with what we seem to value in this world, the treasures we have bought into which quickly fade and die.

2 Likes

Carolyn, yes, this selfless love vs. the selfish empires, people and kings of the earth! … And it gets even better: in Rev 21:24, you know the passage about the New Jerusalem, it reads: “By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it.” What are the (in Revelation always labeled as: evil) kings still doing there at the end? Now this time they will bring glory, their glory to the city of God. Isn’t this amazing? Destruction yes, but also transformation. A new glimpse of hope. Always.

1 Like

God has now made a treasure not of people bound to the law, nor simply an ethnic group claiming bloodline from a common ancestor, but a diverse people bound to Jesus in allegiance and faith.

It was this way of faith to which the Torah was always pointing…the faithfulness beyond measure of God to his promises, and of all who respond in faith and allegiance to him. This is all part of God’s indescribable gift in Christ.

Frank

5 Likes

well, i don’t think it means that we are the prospective treasure that god sees in each of us if we open our hearts to him…this is a creative take that isn’t necessarily wrong, or in any way untrue, but it’s conflating the subject of us and our possible journey with god and his eternal purpose, which are separate realities…

i think the parables mean the reality of the new birth experience and its regenerating power, which we have no way to appreciate when we first hear of it, but begin to suspect when we actually step out in faith and start to experience it…the parables aren’t exact, of course…but they do capture the value we eventually place on the new birth’s power as we see and feel its vivid agency in our lives, and learn to distinguish it from our own imagination and any other earthly sphere…

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.