Diversity is not Inclusion

I have a friend in TN who came out gay in his late 40’s when his boy
and girl were hitting their teens. SDA.
He was church organist, church elder, grew up SDA.
Some time later found a partner, and seems to be quite happy.
Is still a family man to his kids who are now in their 20’s.
Would have never guessed in all the time I knew him.
Remained well liked by the church family.

It goes to show we never know a lot about the person sitting in
the pew next to us. They are ALWAYS God’s child.

5 Likes

Thanks. I added a line to my original comment, that I should have included in the first place. I was in too big a hurry to get it out. While we mathematicians shy away from “certainly”, I will accept “probably” for even the extended family. (My advisor, who specialized in probability and statistics, told us there is not such thing as certainty, only degrees of uncertainty. I try to apply it to everything, except mathematically proven results and articles of faith).

3 Likes

Ask him how certain he’s of that statement :slight_smile:

Well, that doesn’t apply to many in the SF bay area. :smile:

But also note that you may know many people on a professional level and, just like you don’t know much else about them, you may not know they are gay. Not because they are unwilling to tell you, but because it’s not normal for them to tell you - based on the type or relationship you have.

2 Likes

I will be attending my 50 year high school class reunion this fall. I was valedictorian of a class of 34, and I now know 4 of us are gay, 3 boys and one girl. I was not out at our 40 year reunion, so no one knew that me a big masculine lumberjack and conservative all American boy was gay. I was a short haired redneck in high school. I was not a Beatles fan, nor did I like hippies. I don’t think any of us really thought through back then things we seriously consider today. Gay was not anything we remotely considered back then. I doubt that any of us who were gay considered such a label in high school. Each hid in his own closet, thinking we were the only one who was attracted to our own sex. I hated going to PE knowing that the shower at the end would give me cause for angst because certain boys turned me on.
I know one thing, I always socialized with kids who weren’t particularly popular because I felt everyone needed a friend.

4 Likes

The long awaited “shaking” of Adventism has shaken all the sinners out. What a conundrum, even the perfection folks came up short. Say George, whatever happened to Kevin Paulson? He seems to.have dropped off the Spectrum radar screen. Did he perish in an ecclesiastical desert, dieing from thirst chasing that perfection mirage?

3 Likes

Tom, believe or not, he is enjoying the greatest experience a Spectrumite can experience! He entered the “millennial experience” at some time in 2018, October I guess. A significant group already rewarded for being un-civil here… But, I guess they all consider it “a perfect call”… LOL

“Do us a favor, though,” … be careful and behave… we need you here, not “there.”… :rofl:

3 Likes

Millennial experience ??? Not sure what you mean. Was he raptured? In a way I miss Kevin and even Groucho, aka birder. Sometimes one can make a point in a discussion in the tension of the moment when someone who opposes you comes off as sounding ridiculous

BTW where is “there”? Should we order them a case of ice water be set ahead just in case they went down instead of up.

1 Like

He was banished from Spectrum for 1000 years.

1 Like

In my opinion, no one should be banished/suspended for more than 30 days initially; if a repeat, then for 60; and if a further repeat, then for 90 days!.

4 Likes

You are so gracious… :innocent:

1 Like

I think the WebEd has explained before that first, someone gets a warning, then suspension for 30 days. I think the next step is permanent suspension, which Discourse (the host site or something like that) decides is 1000 years. Not even a decision made by the WebEd. There is an effort to give people a chance to reform.

So If I get a third strike in my lifetime, even if it’s years from now, I’m out for good, even if I’m not sure just what I did wrong. Seems like there should be a reset button if it’s over a long period of time. I’ll be sure and tip toe through the minefields of discussion that sometimes gets hot and heavy. My prose is often peppered with satire and sarcasism, but NEVER malice intent. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Tom, you must be one of those rare cases, if not the only one, when not proper warning was issued. I don’t know, only you and the @webEd know . What I know is that the customary procedure is to first issue a warning. If the person defies it and continues the path of personal attacks then comes the 30-day ostracism rule. And if there is insistence on indecent behavior, good bye for 1,000 years - which nay actually be ONE YEAR if the supposed biblical principle is applied… :wink:

My guess is that what happened here this week is that Patrick obviously created a new account and kept his name on it - thus being easily identifiable. And just started the same annoying dialogue as usually. Once detected, and his purpose being clear, the WebEds just deleted his posts. Then, all posts associated to his are automatically deleted - I guess. I had no exchange with him - and will NEVER have again - but I wrote a comment on @timteichman’s post, that was a comment on Pat’s post, and the domino effect took place.

I still support the way things are now - provided the initial warning is indeed issued. Unless the attack is so gross that deserves a 30-day banning right away. Patrick may have been banned again not because of a post, but because he is permanently impeached and tried to come back forcefully and defiantly. How would you treat such a situation? And, in his case, we already could see where it was going again , right?

3 Likes

Here we go again:

ptravis338

Patrick Travis

This user is suspended.
Reason: Duplicate Accounts
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

I also noticed that the “1,000 years” condition is no longer used. Maybe the Milennialls are now only “Centennials” ???.. :laughing:

1 Like

Had our good friend channeled his creativity in fostering social skills instead of trying sneak sound rules and regulations, he’d still be with us. What is so difficult about being civil?

1 Like

Rather… it appears Patrick has held two accounts since 3 March 2016. He created a new account, probably for a more desired profile, on 29 June 2018 and neglected to delete the former. Compare the two profiles, both clearly identified with his full name:

ptravis338 Patrick Travis
This user is suspended until Feb 11, 3020 7:00 am.
Reason: Duplicate Accounts
Posted 1 day ago Joined Mar 3, '16

1QOL Patrick Travis
This user is suspended until Oct 30, 3019 7:00 am.
Reason: Commenting Policy Violations
Posted Oct 29, '19 Joined Jun 29, '18

Therefore he didn’t create a new account to fool the WebEd teammates.

1 Like

I hope all feel safe and secure now that the bubble within a bubble has been defended and sanitized of such extreme and uncivilized contrary views at “spectrum”.

2 Likes

There might be a reset button; I don’t really know. I think the WebEd might look for a pattern and frequency of poor behavior. After all, some people were on Spectrum for years before they crossed enough lines to be banned. And perhaps Discourse was persuaded to put in a more appropriate time line. Some things can seem mysterious.

You are right. He already had two accounts for a long time.
So, only he and the WebEd know what actually happened. It doesn’t affect me because I have no interest in interacting the way he does anyway :roll_eyes: , so…

1 Like