Do You Really Want to Know?

(Frankmer7) #364

First, we are not living under Moses and the Old Covenant. Secondly, both examples you give from the NT have to do with modesty vs. immodesty. The gold and braided hair in the quote from Timothy is about gold braided into the hair…the style of high class Roman courtesans…aka, prostitutes. Paul was counseling women to not flaunt themselves as sexual objects, not flaunt their wealth and status, hence pearls, the most costly jewel of the day. These are closer to core issues of human self worth and identity, and bringing disrepute upon the church in that culture…something that is all over 1 Corinthians in different guises.

What does this have to do with casual or business dress to church? In fact, someone wearing a Calvin Klein suit is flaunting affluence much more so than someone in a regular pair of jeans. What does it have to do with riding a horse or a bike on sabbath?

What are the core issues of Christian life and identity, especially as outlined in the NT? What would you thus see as more ancillary issues in light of this…or do you even think there are any ancillary issues? One example: Does the NT talk more about the food we put in our mouths, or more about giving food to those who are hungry and without? What should pastors be emphasizing more to their congregations, the clothes they wear, or clothing the naked?

Frank

(James Peterson) #365

And your evidence for this is?

///

(Frankmer7) #366

It’s there in the Greek text, especially in Peter, where he says pretty much the same thing.

I’m still waiting for your answers as to what constitutes the core issues of Christian identity and practice in the NT. You avoided that…along with the questions I asked.

Frank

(Kade Wilkinson) #367

Because it’s clear from your response that you do not understand my point. It would be quite possible to understand but disagree, but your replies are simply nonsensical because you are replying to what you have imagined I said rather than taking a few minutes to actually understand what I said and reply to it rather than to your own imaginings.

(James Peterson) #368

??? The Greek text?

Also where in the letters of Peter?

///

(Kade Wilkinson) #369

You have aptly illustrated that the SDA denomination is a Judiazing sect, using their own publications. Bravo!

(Frankmer7) #370

1 Peter 3…similar text. But, the idea of gold braided into the hair is actually stronger in the text you cited from Timothy. My mistake.

Now, can you get to the core issues that I posed to you? Or, do you not see those as core issues?

Frank

(Kim Green) #371

James…what do you (or did) do for a living?

(James Peterson) #372

Don’t you remember your own words? Here …

About sabbath keeping. But the Sabbath was made for man. Jesus said so.

///

(Kade Wilkinson) #373

The Jews were accustomed to fasting on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the Gentiles were not accustomed to fasting at all. This may have been one of the “disputable matters” as the early Christians determined when the appropriate times of fasting were. After all, Jesus said that his followers would fast after He was taken away, but not on what days of the week. However, even though the Church eventually settled on fasting on Wednesday in honor of Christ’s betrayal, and Friday in honor of his crucifixion, there were still significant local variances in the time of St. Ambrose, with the famous saying “when in Rome, do as the Romans” arising from the fact that Rome also fasted on Saturdays (which was later prohibited, with the exception of Great and Holy Saturday).

(Kade Wilkinson) #374

James, “the Sabbath was made for man” and “the Sabbath was fulfilled” are not contradictory. You would understand this if you bothered to read about the eschatological 8th day. But I’ve already told you that…

(James Peterson) #375

Why do you refuse to quote the Bible to establish your point?

///

I am very confused by your comments as the Baptismal vows of the SDA church do not include the references you state.

Based on analysis of the SDA Church Manual (2016 version which you may google for reference) for Baptism Vows or Profession of Faith their is no prohibition of meat/jewelry nor requirement of belief that “EGW is a true prophet”.

Meat eating was qualified by stating abstinence from unclean types.

Your previous statements that the abuse or over indulgence in food that leads to obesity or other behaviors that are destructive are certainly a concern and should be avoided. However stating that you must believe EGW as a prophet or that jewelry is immoral in order to be baptized/gain salvation is not factually correct.

(Cfowler) #377

It came from EGW…

(Tim Teichman) #378

What does it say about smoking medicinal Marijuana?

(Kade Wilkinson) #379

Several reasons:

1. @Paul62 already did, and you ignored it, so why would I expect any different if I did?
  2. The majority of members on this forum are members or former members of a sect that has so little regard for the Holy Scriptures that it has cut various parts it happens to not like as much out, sort of like Thomas Jefferson did.
  3. It would be a long post, full of many Scripture quotes, and would replicate work that is easily available with a google search.

In vow #10 it says “…from the misuse of or trafficking in narcotics or other drugs.”

In context of narcotics used for medicinal purposes like Marijuana or a host of others their is no prohibition specifically stated.

(Kim Green) #381

“I must say to you that every time I see a girl without makeup and jewelry, I often think of her as either an SDA or genuine faith-based Evangelical. It’s the image I have of them and the image I suspect, they wish me to have of them as well.”

I don’t know how many “Evangelical” females that you know…but they are not against jewelry wearing or a bit of makeup.
@cfowler

(Kim Green) #382

"What does this have to do with casual or business dress to church?"

It generally matters to an “older” audience of which James might be a part of. :slight_smile:

I agree. This is what Jesus said. If we love him, we keep his commandments. This shows that it is not just a matter of lifestyle but also a matter of keeping his commandments. Of course, we have to do this for the right motives, if not we fall into legalism (and it is easy to fall into that trap).