Ellen G. White and Intermittent Fasting

(James Peterson) #21

Does WO have to dip her spoon in EVERY SINGLE POT IN THE VILLAGE? ???

1. The sky is blue. That is because of the patriarchy. Protest for it to go pink.
  2. The sunset is pink. That is because of the patronizing patriarchy. Protest for ALL DAY pinkness!
  3. BBC Documentary title: Blue Planet. PATRIARCHAL!!! What about PINK PLANET!!! ???

:: smh ::

///

(Elmer Cupino) #22

Yes because WO is the symptom. The fundamental defect influences all domains of the person’s life akin to wearing blue glasses which taints every picture bluish.

(James Peterson) #23

Then I suppose you are wearing pink glasses since EVERY SINGLE ISSUE for you within Adventism must be seen through the lens of WO.

Good for you.

///

(Elmer Cupino) #24

I do not wear “pink glasses.” As Dr. Tichy @GeorgeTichy will vouch, mental health professionals can identify who wear blue or pink glasses even though they themselves do not wear any glasses. LOL!!!

Happy Holidays.

(Cfowler) #25

Or for children. This is good advice only for certain people/situations.

What about tuberculosis being transmitted by pork? Or bread that must cool and be set aside for at least 12 hours before being eaten?

What are we to do with statements that claim that masturbation leads to catarrh, dropsy, loss of memory and sight, affections of the spine? Or that women who masturbate often will frequently suffer from inward decaying of the head and that their mind is often utterly ruined? Did God show her this?

Is it biblical to consider meat eating a moral issue per se, given the many contrary statements in the Bible (cf. Deut. 12:20 or Deut 12:15)?

Is it good to take her truly amazing statements and ignore those that are difficult to understand or wrong? Do the amazing statements which are today seen to be correct prove that she was God’s mouthpiece or do the false statements prove the contrary?

How much error are we willing to tolerate?

I know a fellow (not an SDA) who is married to an SDA woman who constantly refers to EGW advice and points out the superiority of EGW’s advice. She wants to eat vegan and makes a moral case of her understanding of food and health. He got helpf of a counselor to sort out how often they can eat cheese and yoghurt at home. It gets to be quite oppressive. Good night :roll_eyes: - that’s not a nice situation to be in. Poor feller.

ok so what’s wrong with mayonnaise…

a) vinegar
b) much fat
c) eggs

(Cfowler) #29

Where did these “truly amazing statements” come from? From other writers and health advocates from the 18th century. And some of these ideas were around even earlier than that…some of them for a couple of hundred years or more. She copied from them, some of what these people wrote was good, some of it was not.

(Cfowler) #30

Poor feller, indeed! How wonderful it is to enjoy a delicious meal, especially with good company. It’s good for the soul and body. Not so under the watchful eye and disdainful comments of the food police, particularly with the addition of religiosity.

(Cfowler) #31

Mmmm…I think that is what is right about mayonnaise! :grinning:

After attending the church potlucks, I thought intermittent fasting was waiting a few minutes between desserts! :grin:

(Alice C ) #33

Keep in mind that Counsels on Diet and Foods was compiled with little attention to which counsel was directed to individuals and which was for people in general. And the selections reflect the biases of the compiler(s). For example, the egg in grape juice advice was for a specific individual suffering from pernicious anemia; it’s not at all recommended for the general public, especially now that we have more understanding of the causes and treatment of the disease.

My three principles, based on her writings, include 1) a wide variety of foods; 2) simply prepared (i.e., not too much fat or sugar); and 3) in moderation (that’s a hard one!), which will depend on the needs of the individual (heavy manual labor vs sedentary work). There is an additional corollary: If something disagrees with your system, avoid it. That covers those who don’t tolerate fruits and vegetables together, which would be defined by the common usage, not the botanical discussion the subject frequently devolves into.

Another important fact about Ellen White’s household: people were not prohibited from visiting the kitchen and eating something for a third meal, but a third meal was not served. She recognized variations in physical needs and readiness for changing to a two meal a day plan. She was more realistic than many of her quotes, taken out of context, would suggest.

I’m a former SDA dietitian, so have been steeped in much of this information. I wish more ordinary members heard and understood SDA dietitians and others when this is discussed.

(George Tichy) #34

Yes, for one single reason: WO is currently the whole VILLAGE! Powered by discrimination.

An horrible, deplorable situation for a Religious entity, and for people who call themselves “Christians.” An embarrassment to the Christian cause.
@elmer_cupino

(Elmer Cupino) #35

I often ask my patients who is charged with the responsibility of filtering what comes out of their own mouths, certainly not the listeners.

(James Peterson) #36

Your village is terribly small.

1. Angela Merkel is Chancellor of Germany; and
  2. the Queen of England is highly respected.
  3. More telling is that “The Adventist Forum Board chose one of its own members to direct board activities as the organization moves into the next decade. Carmen Lau, of Birmingham, Alabama, was elected November 20, 2018.” See her here.

Isn’t it a sign of " … " that on a thread about ELLEN WHITE AND INTERMITTENT FASTING, you feel it necessary to throw a monkey wrench into the tenor of the article’s discussion?

///

(Frankmer7) #37

She needed to read and understand, “The kingdom of God is not about eating and drinking, but about righteousness, peace, and joy in the Holy Spirit.” Guess she never got that far.

I know that I needed to read this and take it in years ago, after being traumatized by the spiritual stigma she attached to issues of food and drink. I think a lot of people would have been spared, and many others would never have climbed up on the food police judgement seat engendered by her misplaced emphasis on food and spiritual life.

Thanks…

Frank

(Ikswezdyr) #38

Thank you Spectrum and DeWitt for presenting a good old-fashioned health article. May God give us the power to live it. Some find it easier than others. This is almost as rigid as Dr. Fuhrman a well-known on-line physician and lecturer. It’s the answer to medical care. How many know that doctors and hospitals are the third highest reason for dying. I’ve heard it’s gone from 250,000 a year to 400,000 a year. For health we have to practice prevention. BTW keep in mind, though, it’s not a way of salvation!

(Peter) #39

I’m glad to live where I can easily buy “Veganaise” (vegan mayo substitute). Our family loves it, though we even use it sparingly.

(Peter) #40

Thank you for mentioning that our health practices are not a way of salvation. I value them and mostly practice them, but not because I see eating too many sweets or some meat as sin (as I was taught in Adventist grade school). I don’t intend to say, “you do know I followed the health message” when I get to the gates of heaven, because that won’t even be a consideration, IMHO.

I’m very grateful, though, to have Adventist health and diet principles to make my life better.

Don’t overlook the power of genetics in all of this, though. My father lived to be 100. He ate meat all his life. He didn’t particularly exercise. He ate desserts when he wanted them. But our family has a multi-generation history of long life.

I appreciated this article and certainly benefited from it.