Ellen G. White and Intermittent Fasting

(Peter) #41

And - - Ellen White herself ate oysters well into her late life! Surprising? Probably. But this is a documented fact.

I sat with two of Ellen’s grandchildren as the related stories of life growing up near Elmshaven. They told of pies and other desserts being served - that Ellen ate.

I think she’s been made into more of a health fanatic that she meant to be.

(Peter) #42

There are good vegan mayonnaise alternatives.

(Peter) #43

Right. It is a known fact that Ellen ate oysters, and long after she had received the health message.

(Alice C ) #44

I agree. Too many people cherry-pick quotes and then over-interpret them. Then traumatize the innocent.

(reliquum) #45

No selfdisclosure on the unholy gastronomic trinity-salt, pepper, and grey poupon!
How telling LOL!

(reliquum) #46

That, and the pastors grandiloquent grace! Sometimes, i need to break into my granola bar before he stops! We are a hypoglycemic, insulin resistant lot!

(Frank Peacham) #47

This is true, Diet and Foods was poorly assembled with little reference to original content. However EGW wrote a lot of health issues scattered throughout the years and she never retracted anything she once advocated. One book that she did approve was Healthful Living, (1897)complied by Dr. David Paulson used as a textbook for his medical missionary students. EGW said, “I have always appreciated Health Living. In no instance have I uttered a word of disapproval…it is a good and useful book…”

Healthful living is assembled on the same format as D&F, with short excerpts taken from many different sources. I do not think this volume of almost 300 pages would be acceptable as a college textbook. There is a chapter on Moral Maladies in which “secret indulgence (vice)” weakens the body, makes muscles flabby, eyes become small, memory if sieve-like and sinks many into an early grave…"

Don’t misunderstand me, there are many good an practical health counsels that EGW offers. This is what gives to her a staying and lasting influence, especially when we take her health counsels in a general sense and endeavor to consume a vegetarian diet. Yet we should be honest and realize that there are a number of her inspired counsels that are not proven valid today.

“Flesh meats, butter, cheese, rich pastry, spiced foods, and condiments… the blood-making organs cannot convert such thins into good blood.” (p. 181)
“Milk should not be used in place of water in bread making.” (80)
“Hot raised bread of any kind is difficult of digestion.” (80)
“Sickness if caused by violating the laws of health.” (60)
“There is a divinely appointed connection between sin and disease…relationship of cause and effect” (60)
Etc

The pitiful that Adventist have easily fallen into is: Food Religion. If I could retreat in time I would tell Ellen to make her health counsels as optional advice, not requirements for translation. I would ask Ellen not to forget what Paul said, “For the Kingdom of God is not a matter of what we eat or drink, but of living a life of goodness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit.” (NLT)

(George Tichy) #48

Stater Brothers now sells JUST MAYO, which is excellent and much less expensive than Vegenaise (also vegan). I use it “not sparingly”… :wink:

(George Tichy) #49

In my opinion, health practices are a way to increase the chances of having a better health and a higher quality of life, but they have nothing to do with salvation. At the table I do the best I can for my body, my health. Not for the Church.

(George Tichy) #50

Well, maybe she saw them as “fruits of the sea.”
Fruits are usually healthy and good… :roll_eyes:

(George Tichy) #51

This problem decreases significantly when we follow the “Sola Scriptura” model. I adopted it about 38 years ago. So far so good.

To those who like to wag a finger at EGW writings, I have this suggestion: Any substantial literary work (e.g. the Bible, EGW, etc.) should be read and understood as a whole, versus individual parts. For example, where EGW is attributed to fasting and diet, she also says this: “Strong men who are engaged in active physical labor are not compelled to be as careful as to the quantity and quality of their food as are persons of sedentary habits,” and, “Some wish that an exact rule could be prescribed for their diet…one person cannot lay down an exact rule for another. Everyone should exercise reason and self-control and act from principle.” MH 310

I’ve worked for over 25 years in public health, with 10 years (and counting) in promoting plant-based nutrition. To me, this is balanced advice. Regarding fasting and eating two meals/day, I’m far to active to survive on two meals. However, I do find great benefit from fasting 12 hours between supper and breakfast and 4-5 hours between meals, with no snacks–unless I’m bicycling or skiing for greater than two hours. I’m grateful that at my age, I still have the energy to train for and complete ultra endurance mountain bike events.

(Tammy Roesch) #53

What a great article! Refreshing! Thank you so much for sharing and especially for adding your testimony at the end… THE PROOF IS IN THE PUDDING :sunny: I’m so happy, that even at your age, you determined to WALK in the LIGHT! May God continue to bless you as you follow Him!

(Tom Loop) #54

OMG George, I thought you were more progressive minded than buying into these notions of “working on” various foods that the quacks rail against. Use your Mayo and enjoy it. In EGW mind everything was sin. It’s a sin to be sick, it’s a sin to worry, it’s a sin to have sex and enjoy it, even with your spouse. She was so busy zeroing in on transgressions, but she sure loved oysters, and ate them 20 years after she wrote boox on refraning from meat. What a fraud.

(Tom Loop) #55

I knew a fellow who had a similar food fanatic SDA wife. He would drop her off at church and go down to the local diner and have ham and eggs for breakfast and black coffee. He was a model upright man, who most likely nevr joined the church because of his wife. she was more than a stumbling block. More like a roadblock.

(Cfowler) #56

Not joining the church, is many times for the best, spiritually.

I know church members with a robust conscience who follow your suggestion and are fine. However, would you also advise this for people with a sensitive conscience? There are those who reason that if God went so far as to give detailed advice on how to live it would be negligent, to say the least, to disregard this counsel. As a result they read CDF, MH, MM etc. and drop more and more food items from their grocery list, feeling sinful (I’m not joking!) if they continue eating cinnamon, salad dressing with vinegar and so on. All they are trying to do is to follow the light they have been given. I know one fellow with a sensitive conscience who believed in EGW and became suicidal. My classmate’s dad also believed EGW and refused to take drugs when he was sick. He died an early and preventable death. He was a scientist but believed EGW more and didn’t listen to those who urged him to take medication.
I suspect that many who are genuinely trying to follow her advice are not aware of her own lifestyle:

• eating meat for decades after her first health vision (incl. duck, oysters, venison, fish, chicken)

• taking x-ray treatment against cancer

• being overweight

• being fun and nice to be around

Having been a keen reader of and about EGW and following her advice with its resulting consequences (permanent guilt trip) I eventually went to the internet and found other information that did not square with the picture I had from her. Eventually, I came to the conclusion that she is not what she claims to be - in spite of the good and true that she also said and wrote. For me the whole is not enough, the individual parts are also significant. In general (not restricted to EGW), I believe that the devil uses much good to hide his errors and make them more palatable.

Yes, I agree.

Then, on the other hand I can’t understand her forceful language. Her statements are so strong that readers conclude that a particular food or behavior is unacceptable or will keep offenders out of heaven. Why does she use terms like “always”, “never”, “sin”?

Isn’t it amazing that the Bible is much less sweeping and absolute in terms of foods - even in the OT? Short of the unclean foods plus blood/ fats pretty much everything is permissible and it is common grace that informs us of what is wise and what isn’t.

(Michael Wortman) #59

Mayonnaise is a good one. :slight_smile:

So people do need food police. I know I do. We are different and in some context we can lovingly supplement lack of discipline or weakness in some areas of our lives. That’s behat community is for.

Hence there should be balance and context in which people can trust each other enough to know that some suggestions about diet are not to demean, but out of concern.