Ellen White Letter Discovered at Pacific Union College; Experts Confirm Authenticity

(Thomas J Zwemer) #42

Itreasure the Palms. But not David. I read Ellen White but not at the same level. Her messages on education and health were more relevant than her theology which was colored by her times. Most of the time she copies from serious scholars. Her rewriters were her charm.

(jeremy) #43

reading the original, unedited, unrevised egw, in her own hand-writing, is where the real egw is found…here it is impossible to miss the all-out hands-on effort, and the extreme emotion and very clear power that is the hallmark of this remarkable prophet…the finished products coming through literary assistants and the white estate probably do help with the clarity of content, but the staggering personality that was egw ends up being quite diluted…

one really has to wonder what would be revealed from a reading of prophets like elijah and john the baptist, if manuscripts in their own words and writing style were ever discovered…

i think all of this points to the raw, deadly true character of god himself…i think the sugar-coated, santa claus personality so many of us have drunk in from cradle roll on up is off…way off…

(Nathan Robinson) #44

I have always been uncomfortable when I read an author who spills ink accusing others of misdeeds, especially the sin of “sowing seeds of doubt.” Any idea which ministers EGW had in mind when she said this? Or is this simply a strawman/hyperbolic argument? As a modern reader I find this type of argument/writing akin to slander.

Yes, she, and we, progress in our understanding of the gospel. But what do we do with the seeds of legalism she sowed pre-1888? The phrase “what we must do and not do in order to be saved” seems to be a weed sown among the wheat.

(Steve Mga) #45

Nathan –
This is the PROBLEM ALL Religious writers have to contend with.
Writing something in print [paper, book, internet, youtube] and later understand
more “light” and then write from THAT understanding.
A Just-Religious-writer is one thing.
BUT when we attach that writer to being a Prophet, and EVERYTHING they have
ever written taken as “Inspiration of the Holy Spirit” it does create a problem.
And presents a problem for SDAs. Especially for SDAs who Quote from all the Words
from the time Ellen was “called”.
This does NOT allow for even the Prophet’s greater understanding to have developed
and change in their understanding to THEN be their Message.
Yes, Ellen has, in her lifetime, said some harsh words to individuals and to groups.

(Nathan Robinson) #46

So, which is worse: Naming and Shaming, or Anonymous Accusations?

(Steve Mga) #47

One interesting story regarding President Daniels when Ellen lived at Elmshaven.
President Daniels spent several days on the train, getting off and a buggy ride to
Ellen’s. He knocked on the door. Knocked… Knocked…Knocked…knocked.
No one answered the door.
He was wanting a word from Ellen about what to do about a problem at Battle Creek.
She sent one of the helpers to the door with a message for him.
— Since you have been ignoring what I have written in letters to you, there is no
need for me to see you.
He went back to town, rode the train back to Battle Creek.

(Nathan Robinson) #48

This is obviously a personal letter. I wonder why the letter was never finished? The letter was written quickly, in a spare moment at campmeeting. But then what happened? Did an assistant then get hold of it, polish it up, perhaps put an ending on it? If it was edited by an assistant, would EGW then rewrite it in her own hand? And how did an unfinished personal letter end up at PUC? Seems weird to me.

Did EGW write all her personal letters with a view that later they would either be shared with others or possibly published for public consumption?

(Cfowler) #49

I think that compared to most people in the US/World, she lived very comfortably and would be considered quite lavish compared to most everyone else. Having a home with 60 acres, an orchard, private nurse, seamstress, cook, plus office staff and farm hands, sounds pretty extravagant.

Hard to really say, but millions of people don’t have easy lives. Far worse than hers to be sure.

(Cfowler) #50

Another big problem with these testimonies that were sent out…there is only one side of the situation presented, EGW’s side. If anyone dared to respond in a way that disagreed with her, they were skewered once again.

(Cfowler) #51

I don’t know which is worse (both equally bad in my view), but they are both unChristian, IMO.

(Kevin Luke Morgan) #52

In God’s plan for Israel every family had a home on the land, with sufficient ground for tilling. Thus were provided both the means and the incentive for a useful, industrious, and self-supporting life. And no devising of men has ever improved upon that plan. { FLB 260.2}

The earth has blessings hidden in her depths for those who have courage and will and perseverance to gather her treasures. Fathers and mothers who possess a piece of land and a comfortable home are kings and queens. { FLB 260.3}

An expensive dwelling, elaborate furnishings, display, luxury, and ease, do not furnish the conditions essential to a happy, useful life. Jesus came to this earth to accomplish the greatest work ever accomplished among men. He came as God’s ambassador, to show us how to live so as to secure life’s best results. What were the conditions chosen by the infinite Father for His Son? A secluded home in the Galilean hills; a household sustained by honest, self-respecting labor; a life of simplicity; daily conflict with difficulty and hardship; self-sacrifice, economy, and patient, gladsome service; the hour of study at His mother’s side, with the open scroll of Scripture; the quiet of dawn or twilight in the green valley; the holy ministries of nature; the study of creation and providence; and the soul’s communion with God—these were the conditions and opportunities of the early life of Jesus… { FLB 260.4}

That’s the plan.

Absolutely. We’re all cray cray.

No wait…I meant to say me.

I’m crazy.

Sorry.

(Cfowler) #54

We all are to one degree or another…is there good crazy and bad crazy? :thinking: :wink:

You are obviously asking the wrong person! :rofl:

(Steve Mga) #56

Perhaps being Good Crazy is having fun being happy, friendly.
Bad Crazy would be paranoid, suspicious, and negative with language and behaviors.

BAD CRAZY!!!

Like…historicism… :scream:

Like…George Knight… :scream_cat:

Like…judgment… :balance_scale:

Like…the Book of Revelation:scroll:

Do you have links to “the real egw,” Jeremy? I would like to meet her.

Trust Him, at first I thought your post was another letter from EGW, a much better one. :slight_smile:

I think your post was wonderful, but Ellen White gave us no such leave for her writings to develop over time.

That is why many of us got in big, tragic, dangerous trouble with her.

I’m talking multiple suicides that I personally know.

She created writings with many beautiful, deep, and, no doubt, inspired insights, and she created a personality cult that has been he ruination of many individuals and families.

This isn’t going to go away. It must be sorted out. Black-and-white thinking won’t begin to touch it.

Just my opinion.

Ellen, we need to talk.

I know, I know…okay, I’ll take a number…

Namaste.

But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be under a divine curse!

—Galatians 1

But I am afraid that just as Eve was deceived by the serpent’s cunning, your minds may somehow be led astray from your sincere and pure devotion to Christ.

For if someone comes to you and preaches a Jesus other than the Jesus we preached, or if you receive a different spirit from the Spirit you received, or a different gospel from the one you accepted, you put up with it easily enough.
—II Corinthians 11

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

—Hebrews 4

(It goes without saying, there is no reason for any SDA to put any stock in someone who says, “Namaste.”)