Faithfulness in Christian Lifestyle Theme of 2019 Annual Council — Day 1

Steve, just heard this morning in church from several people who have really good connections, that the MAIN point AT this AC/19 is the elevation of Ellen White to the same level of the Bible, this time doing it officially.

She already has been considered the highest authority since the church’s inception. But it’s not been declared on paper anywhere before. This time it’s obvious that they want to make it official.

Steve, just imagine the split it would cause in the church if this beautiful statement is actually approved… :roll_eyes::woozy_face:

2 Likes

Actually, a friend of mine told me that there was a shortage of oysters AND shrimp in town because the GC bought everything around to serve special and traditional meals to the guests. Some pork is still available, maybe not for long though. :sunglasses::sunglasses:

4 Likes

it’s about time…the position we’ve had up to now, where egw is inspired by the same god as the bible, but somehow not as authoritative, makes no sense…

but there is the substantial question of which egw writings to canonize…obviously any canonized writings will come to be viewed differently than what isn’t canonized…my vote is for the nine volumes of the Testimonies for the Church to be canonized…i’ve been rereading them, and am being struck again by their sheer power…they’re so direct, and unequivocal…they literally force a person to take a decided stand…they leave very little, if any, room for uncertainty or nebulousness…

the other thing to consider is full separation from rome, especially now that we can see part of the papacy’s game plan for world dominance in its climate change initiatives…certainly hanging on to the seventh-day sabbath will always be our signature move, but other things, like WO, and discarding the council of trent’s canonization decision from the 16th century, would also make a statement…perhaps our new bible can have a section reserved for emerging prophets, with egw occupying the first part of this new section…

We already HAVE a Seventh day Adventist Bible. It is called
“THE CLEAR WORD”.

G-- What ever statements are made, majority of church members
are going to continue what they have continued.
There are non-vegetarians. Caffeine is a picker-upper.
Lots have only picked up one or two of Ellen’s books.
Many have never read all 66 Stories, Letters, and Songs in the Bible.
Most don’t go beyond the Sabbath School Lesson Quarterly, 3ABN, or
Hope Channel.
Believe what they have been TOLD regarding Daniel, Revelation.
Look at the stories of Greed and Corruption coming from our
overseas unions/divisions. Fake Degrees.

3 Likes

If one new bible is good, why not two? :wink:

3 Likes

Jeremy, just when I think you can’t be more over the top with EGW, you double down and surprise me again! :slightly_smiling_face:

6 Likes

Jeremy need to read this book –
“Pagan Christianity – exploring the roots of our Church”, by
Frank Viola/George Barna.
There are quite a number of things we SDAs do that are in the book.
It was an interesting eye-opener to me.
I DON’T believe we will get ALL the Catholic Traditions our of the SDA church.

7 Likes

Carol –
I already see several different Bibles with EGW explanations at the
bottom of the pages at my church.
The printers are already ahead of the Vote. LOL

3 Likes

That would be blasphemous, George. Why? Because:

!st John 2:27 says that “ The anointing which ye have received of Him abideth in you and ye need not that any man teach you; but as the same anointing teacheth you of all things, and is truth, and is no lie, and even as it hath taught you, ye shall abide in Him”.

We can listen to the teachings of others, but that does not give us , or them any right to to equate their presentations as equal, or above even, as some would like to believe, to the Bible.

Quench not the Spirit, despise not prophesyings, hold fast that which is good 1stThes. 5:19-21

But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in my name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you. Jn 14:26

We don’t put EGW’s writings, or anyone elses above the Word of God. The Bible is the highest standard for the Christian.

We have the infallible Word of God. We don’t need to elevate anyone’s writings as if they are on the same par, or above that. Especially when EGW herself claimed that she was not infallible in her work.

“We have many lessons to learn and many, many to unlearn. God and heaven alone are infallible. Those who think they will never have to give up a cherished view, never have occasion to change an opinion, will be disappointed. As long as we hold to our own ideas and opinions with determined persistency, we cannot have the unity for which Christ prayed”. R&H 7/26/1892

“There is no excuse for anyone taking the position that there is no more truth to be revealed, and that all our expositions of scripture are without error. The fact that certain doctrines have been held as truth for many years by our people, is not a proof that our ideas are infallible. Age will not make error into truth, and truth can afford to be fair. No true doctrine will lose anything by close investigation.”. Counsels to writers and editors P.35

“Every Christian is therefore duty bound to take the Bible as a perfect rule of faith and duty. He should pray fervently to be aided by the Holy Spirit in searching the scriptures for the whole truth, and for his whole duty. He is not at liberty to turn from them to learn his duty through any of the gifts. We say the moment he does, he places the gifts in the wrong place, and takes an extremely dangerous position.” James White R&H 10/3/1854

Cursed is the man that trusteth in man and maketh flesh his arm…Jer. 17:5

4 Likes

In case oysters are not available in the GC cafeteria, fried chicken might serve as a sanctioned alternative. I offer this suggestion on good authority: EGW’s Letter 22a-1884, to the matron of the local sanitarium:

“Would you cook for me, Sister Ings, some rolls and a chicken nicely boiled and then fried? . . . There is so much going on here, I fear I shall go poorly prepared.”

This could be an interesting adjunct to the delegates’ discussion on “Faithfulness in Christian Lifestyle,” since “the kingdom of God is not eating and drinking, but righteousness and peace and joy in the Holy Spirit” (Rom. 14:17).

P.S. Full disclosure: I haven’t dined with Colonel Sanders since teenage years at college, when I bought a set of Ellen White’s Testimonies at a yard sale in Takoma Park and took seriously the translation diet therein (including the avoidance of chicken “nicely boiled and then fried”).

10 Likes

i’m glad to see NEYE still going by New England Youth Ensemble…for some of their overseas charity work, including when i’ve joined them not so long ago, they went by New England Symphonic Ensemble, which i thought was a mistake…NEYE should hang on to its amazing past as much as possible while it forges ahead…it will be achievement enough to duplicate even a few of the moments that characterized its near miraculous history in the '70’s and '80’s…

1 Like

Yes, it’s true though. I didn’t check, but a pastor told me today that it’s actually on the agenda. Just let’s see what happens, what will actually be the result then we go from there.

7 Likes

Here’s another - The Remnant Study Bible, published in 2009

3 Likes

The Ellen White statement is in the agenda page 34.

What is new to me, is that the the document states that SOP corrects wrong interpretations of scripture.

There is also a statement on the scriptures on page 33. It specifically calls out the literal six day creation and last day prophecies.

Both statements are worded as resolutions for GC 2020.

Perhaps this then is the simple answer to the hermeneutics question raised at GC 2015.

It saves the enormous cost associated with study committees, but may cast a long shadow on the role of theologians in the church.

7 Likes

Hans –
Thanks. That WILL place Ellen White ABOVE Scripture.
That will make Ellen the FIRST Woman POPE of the Christian Church.
Stating that Ellen has ALWAYS spoken Ex-Cathedra [as the Catholics
say].
And that whatever Ellen has said, there is not Variant thought regarding
Scriptures.
THIS is Very Serious!!!

8 Likes

Hans, thank you! I read pp. 33-34, very disturbing. We have to wait for the Council’s responses and then possible GC 2020. Such a huge shift comes in kinda through the back door. If this would be voted, massive exodus can be expected.

5 Likes

Yeah, and SDAs have always accused the JWs for having their own New World translation…

5 Likes

If the Church (GC) “canonizes” EGW, there will be a split in the Church. Many people will “cannonize” the Church:

3 Likes

VERY serious indeed, Steve.

Is actually “REPEAL & REPLACE” taking place right now at the AC? Well, it’s time for it to happen in 2020 regarding to the GC President. I am not sure, though, that way too much damage wouldn’t be done already at that time GC/2020).

This replacement of the Bible with the SOP will be the craziest thing happening in this Church in the recent years. I believe that there will be Unions and Conferences calling for immediate independence from this corrupt GC. I hope the SECC, and the whole PUC, will refuse to budge to such an infamous change. Because that’s were I live and go to church.

Those who are perpetrating such an outrageous attack to the “Sola Scriptura” principle need to be VOTED OUT asap, before they do more destruction to the SDAC.

4 Likes