GC Schedules Worldwide 10 Days of Prayer Over 11 Days

(Spectrumbot) #1

In a strange move for an enthusiastically literalistic church administration, General Conference officials have scheduled this year's international 10 Days of Prayer for January 7-17, 2015, an 11-day period.

Billed as a way to remember the 10 days of Pentecost that preceded the outpouring of the Holy Spirit, The 10 Days of Prayer are organized annually as a way to promote spirituality and community among Adventist congregations around the world.

"Either someone powerful can't count or this was a monumental typo," commented John Tan, Senior Pastor at Oak Grove Church in Glendale, Calif. "I didn't even notice it until my 4th grade son pointed it out to me. Is nobody going to say anything?"

"We are still a little gun shy when it comes to statements regarding the specifics of day counts so don't looks to us to speak up," said untenured Associate Professor of Religion, Zalda Greer at La Sierra University when pressed for comment, "I will say that with all the fuss about a literal, 6-day creation, this seems like a genuinely curious move."

Although some analysts have openly wondered if the contradictory scheduling was a deliberate move by church leadership to demonstrate a new openness to focus on broader themes like the power of prayer over squabbles over day counts, Tan remains convinced that there has simply been a mistake. "More prayer is better than less I guess," he said "but for a dates-obsessed church this does seem a tad contradictory."

Sevvy is a writer at the anonymously-authored humor and satire blog BarelyAdventist.com.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6537

(Cfowler) #2

Looks like they really wanted to get the “7’s” in the formula. Because…it’s all about the 7.

(George Tichy) #3

Are they already starting to pray for a NO vote for the “infamous question about WO?”

(k_Lutz) #5

Wow! Let’s see: 10 + the time the earth takes to revolve around its axis, i.e. to get back to it’s starting point (Western Samoa), = 11. Yep, addition is their forte.

Trust the Process.

(George Tichy) #7

The 17th ends at noon Jan 18, which your calculation failed to include.
The article is right.
But please notice who is the writer…

(Thomas J Zwemer) #8

The satire is as weak as the project. what is the focus of the corporate prayer request? Climate change? if so globally or institutionally. Seems the institution is more critical at the moment. There is an identity crisis. How to sustain an 19th century (really a Cotton/Increase ( The Mather Brothers) world view in the 21st century. We are really seeing a Salem witch hunt replay. Is the ten day cycle to promote or stop this mind set? Tom Z

(Pagophilus) #9

It’s not Hebrew inclusive reckoning.

Pick a time on the 7th and go to the same time on the 17th and you have exactly 10 days. Remember, we don’t necessarily count days the same as the Hebrews did (remember Jesus in the grave 3 days???).

(le vieux) #10

What happened, did the editors run out of material? It’s not even good satire.

(Bille) #11

Tom. thanks for your perceptive comments. However… After going to the website http://tendaysofprayer.org/ I think we need to cut Sevvy some slack… or at least be appropriately critical of the small point that he chose as his target… for in fact, the website was quite clear that the call was for prayer once a day starting with Wednesday evening on the 7th and going through Sabbath service on the 17th… and even noted that this was 11 days.

OTOH… on a site which seemed to be more of a caricature of the whole concept of prayer as either the “pray without ceasing” or “opening the heart to God as to a friend” principle of 24/7 prayer… and instead emphasizing “prayer as power” for getting the “desires of one’s heart” in miraculous (magical) ways… what would even a professional satirist dare to touch in the current church atmosphere.

And no… there is no single “focus of the corporate prayer request”… just a general encouragement to use prayer as a magic wand to get what one wants and to force others to conform to one’s desires. I consider the whole attitude to be far more serious than merely a a return to a 19th century “world view”.

(George Tichy) #12

I know, you couldn’t pass the opportunity to disagree with what was written on a Spectrum blog, but as Kevin would say, “wrong again.”

Start at the first minute of the 7th and go to the first minute of the 17th and you have 10, but the 17th is not included unless you go to the last minute of the 24 hours of that day, which will make it 11 full days.
One minute at the beginning of that 17th day does not count as a whole day.
Spectrum’s article is correct!

Hope your biblical calculations are more accurate than this one…

(Steve Mga) #13

Night of Prayer
On Maundy Thursday when we have a night of prayer, we fix up a room with comfortable chairs, have some bibles and a number bring spiritual reading books on several small tables. Lighting is adequate, but not glaring bright. For those who might want to sit on the floor there are pillows available to sit on or for back rest.
We have persons sign up for 2 hour sessions all through the night. These can come and go as their time arrives and finishes. Whoever wants can stay the whole time, or just part of the time. There is no talking among persons in the room, although a hand signal can be given as a greeting of coming or going to those in the room.
We do have at least one picture of Christ posted in a prominent place.
It is a very moving experience.

(George Tichy) #14

Well, it just confirm the tradition, that SDAs are not that good on numerology…

Some are very clear on who are “numero uno” :slight_smile: - webEd)

(George Tichy) #15

:thumbsup::thumbsup: