GYC Annual Meeting Offers End-Time Inspiration and Outreach Opportunities

(Seth Shaffer) #61

This is referring to the point that all Christians can work for God in whatever line of work they are found. That may be as a janitor, as a chef, in the office, or other lines of work.

(George Tichy) #62

WOW!..
Why are you so shy in actually mentioning some of those “other lines of work,” but so generous referring to janitors, chefs, and others in office?
Are you willing to comment on the real issue, the big elephant in the room?

Related image

(Frankmer7) #63

And there’s the distortion of Adventist exceptionalism. As long as the denomination and its leaders sees itself as the lone true voice amongst all the “Babylonian” denominations out there, it will violate what the NT sets forth as one of its highest truths…unity around Christ, expressed in loving cooperation with one another. Simply put, our “message” is divisive amongst Christians.

All denominations are founded by and comprised of human beings seeking to make sense of God, and what it means to understand him and his ways. To a greater or lesser degree, they all have elements of truth mixed with human distortions…Adventism is no exception. Instead of viewing others as fellow travelers on a level playing field before a loving, merciful God, we say, “I thank you God, that I am not like other men…or those Catholics, or those Lutherans, etc.”

We peddle our truth at the expense of the greater truth of the gospel that brings people together in Christ, not divides over a day, or a diet, or whatever else LGT is saying a perfect last generation must do to distinguish itself. I’m truly sad for enthusiastic young people being led off in this direction.

Thanks…

Frank

(Cfowler) #64

I know what you mean…but, people believe it because EGW said it. She wrote:

*Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own.

So, if the Prophet said it, it must be true. She did, according to her, have visions, heavenly visits, etc.

Exactly the same way that the LDS believe J Smith…the beat goes on.

(Cfowler) #65

It is SDA truth, but is it Truth…biblical truth? That is the bottom line, the plumb line.

(Frankmer7) #66

That’s beneath what I wrote, Carol. I would say, though, that all Christian denominations, to a greater or lesser degree, deal with the same issue…a mixture of truth and human distortions. None of us are totally exempt.

Thanks…

Frank

(Cfowler) #67

Yes, no one group has everything perfectly nailed down. The problem is, that some groups are so far off base. If something is 2 degrees off, or 90 degrees off, this makes a big difference. These are arbitrary numbers just for explanation. When something is too far off, it can end up causing a lot of damage.

(Frankmer7) #68

I agree, Carol. It’s why I said more or less. Even within one group this can be true. Adventism has its areas where it is on the mark. But, where it’s off, it’s really off.

Frank

If that were truly the case, He would never be able to come. :pensive:

(Cfowler) #70

LOL…so very true. :roll_eyes: :slightly_smiling_face: :wink:

• Christ is waiting with longing desire for the manifestation of Himself in His church. When the character of Christ shall be perfectly reproduced in His people, then He will come to claim them as His own.

(Frankmer7) #72

One does not necessarily support the other, Cassie. Traditional Adventism, OTOH, has made it so.

Thanks…

Frank

(Kevin Seidel) #73

Galatians 5:22-23 (NIV)

22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, forbearance, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law.

I find it curious that what the fruit of the Spirit is often gets skipped over.

(Peter) #74

“If you are over forty years of age and hold church office, you need to get out of the way and let a young person serve.” That sounds so exclusive to me, Phil. And it looks like “ageism”. What about 1 Corinthians 12 (too long to quote here)? Are not all the parts of the body needed?

I strongly believe that the inclusion of young people is vital to the church, but the exclusion of middle aged and older people would be counterproductive.

At my church the board chair is 38 years old while the teacher of the largest Sabbath School class is 67. I call the balanced and healthy - we are all “one body”.

(Frank Peacham) #75

I miss Kavin’s comments, although we were often on opposite sides, I appreciated his well written and clearly enunciated comments. He often caused me to rethink my own positions. I wish he was not banned for life, but was placed on probation.

(Peter) #76

,however the Bible does not say that. What it does say is that we know not the day or hour, and we are to occupy till he comes. I have come to believe the EGW quote you refer to here sounds like it is OUR responsibility to determine when Christ will return. That easily feeds LGT, which is erroneous IMHO.

(Peter) #77

So? This was not an NAD function. And Elder Jackson cannot attend every “worthy” Adventist-related event. Let this not be a means of criticizing him! Let’s recognize that he is a very dedicated leader who works very hard in his ministry.

(Website Editor) #78

@frankpeachamvt, thanks for voicing your concerns. We always do our best to work with commenters who are violating our guidelines, by giving multiple warnings and then graduating to temporary suspensions before going the route of permanently banning someone. We’re also always willing to discuss with commenters why their behavior warranted a warning or suspension. Unfortunately, sometimes these avenues are exhausted and a ban becomes necessary when our commenting policy continues to be violated.

-WebEd

(Frank Peacham) #79

Well there is one positive aspect of the LGT theology. Such high tone spiritual concepts are capable of inspiring sincere young people to endeavor to live moral, honest lives and faithful to Christian values. I admit LGT practice is made more difficult with the many additional requirements of from EGW.

(Frank Peacham) #80

Thank you for your open explanation.