Headline News: Ted Wilson Will Inaugurate Major Infrastructure Projects in Rwanda

(Spectrumbot) #1

$1 Million Gift Comes in for WAU Science Complex. Washington Adventist University (WAU) in Takoma Park, Maryland, received a $1 million check for its planned Health Professions, Science and Wellness Center. Bruce Boyer presented his gift at a meeting of the WAU Board of Trustees. The center will include a $10.3 million renovation and addition to the existing Health Professions Building on campus. "When completed, the 50,000-square-foot center will accommodate WAU’s health professions and science programs, as well as community programs to enhance wellness." From PR Web, "Washington Adventist University Receives Million Dollar Gift for New Health Professions, Science and Wellness Center."

Oregon Congregation Offers Free Program on Obama Immigration Policy. The Hermiston Seventh-day Adventist Church in Oregon State is sponsoring a free event at Hermiston Junior Academy to provide information about deferred-action immigration programs. Immigration attorneys Thomas Roach, Alva Guizar, and Eamonn Roach, who have more than 35 years of experience in immigration law, will provide information in Spanish and translation into English. The deferred-action immigration programs were expanded by President Obama in November. From the Hermiston Herald, "Attorneys to present on immigration program."

Jamaica Celebrates Religious Freedom, Forms Religious Liberty Association. Jamaica's first-ever Festival of Religious Freedom, themed "Our Right ... Our Freedom ... Let's Celebrate," was held January 24 at the National Arena. People from many religions joined members from all 730 Seventh-day Adventist congregations in Jamaica. Ganoune Diop, director of the United Nations Relations for Religious Freedom at the Seventh-day Adventist Church in Washington, DC, praised Jamaica for being "an example to the rest of the world for its respect and tolerance of religious freedom." Communication, public affairs, and religious liberty director for the Adventist Church in Jamaica, Nigel Coke, explained that the rally signaled the formation of a local National Religious Liberty Association. The international parent organization is based on a non-sectarian and non-governmental approach to religious liberty recognized by the United Nations. From The Jamaica Gleaner, "Celebrating religious freedom in Jamaica - Thousands trek to National Arena for festival."

Gun Violence Affects AIIAS in Philippines. Adventist International Institute of Advanced Studies (AIIAS), the Adventist graduate institution in the Philippines, solicited prayer and support after an AIIAS student and his daughter were involved in a violent incident on Tuesday evening, January 20, 2015. According to a release, the two were walking near their house in the Silang area of Cavite, Philippines. The release states that they were approached by a gunman on a motorcycle at around 10:30pm. The gunman demanded money, and the student handed him the little money he had. The gunman expressed disappointment and then shot the daughter in the calf and as she fell on the ground, the gunman fired another shot at her shoulder. He then sped away. An AIIAS worker in the neighborhood rushed them to a local hospital. They were given immediate care before being transferred to a hospital with advanced medical facilities. The injuries were not life-threatening, according to the release. The young lady is stable and recovering in an area hospital.

New York Congregation Hosts Peace Service Amid Ongoing Tension. The Flatbush Seventh-day Adventist Church in Brooklyn, New York, held a service of hope and healing to calm tensions unrest between police and civil rights groups due to the deaths of a citizen and two police officers. The program on January 18 included "prayers for city officials, protection for the more than 35,000 city police officers patrolling the streets, and God’s healing to ease the hurt and suspicion rampant in the community." The event also recognized the contributions of civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. U.S. Representative Yvette Clarke, of New York’s 9th Congressional District, praised the SDA church for planning the timely event. From Adventist.org, "In New York, Adventist church hosts hope, healing service for police, citizens."

GC President to Inaugurate Infrastructure Projects in Rwanda. Ted Wilson, President of the General Conference of the Seventh-day Adventist church, will travel to Rwanda in February to dedicate several projects there: the nine-story Rwandan Seventh-day Adventist headquarters building and the new Adventist University of Central Africa Science and Technology-Gishushu Campus. He will also attend the groundbreaking for another construction project, the Adventist Regional Medical School in Masoro, Gasabo District. The medical school is meant to serve 11 member countries in the Great Lakes region, including Rwanda, Burundi, DRC, Kenya, Ethiopia, Uganda, Tanzania, South Sudan, Eretria, Somalia, and Djibouti. From AllAfrica.com, "Rwanda: Adventists to Launch Multi-Million Infrastructure Projects."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6592

(k_Lutz) #2

Buying votes in Africa. (Inappropriate. - website editor)

Trust the Process.

(George Tichy) #3

Are they going to teach SCIENCE there?
I can’t wait for the protest from the anti-science Spectrumite crowd.

What is TW doing?
First it is the GamblingGate in San Bernardino, now the ScienceGate in Africa?
Hmmmmmm… What’s next? Will he surprise us with a WOGate before SA???

(k_Lutz) #4

I am visualising a wookie reprising Custer’s Last Stand.

(Ken Mc Farland) #5

Editor: Perhaps fix “Inagurate” in the head? Typo alert.

(Fixed. Thank you. - website editor)

(Thomas J Zwemer) #6

I think it is appropriate that the President go. it is just he seems to make the event his day, not the institution. Every event right or wrong is viewed as a prime political adventure. It has always been thus, but not as blatant as in the current presidency, or so it seems.

We must see Africa as something more than that of the days of David Livingston.

I think SA will demonstrate that big time. Tom Z

(David P R) #7

To the webEditor - How is this appropriate? And how has this not been struck out? Is it because it’s directed at Ted Wilson? This is a total judgment call. But of course there is no double standard.

(You are quite right that it is inappropriate and has now been so annotated. You are quite wrong that in this case omission was due to Spectrum bias, however I doubt you will believe me. If you and others think webeds read all comments so that we understand the contextual nuances and can find more subtle expression of inappropriate commentary, then that is also a mistake. We give the absolute minimum scan looking for some clue that would cause a more detailed look. In this case, we just missed it. - website editor)

David R.

Behind-the-Scenes Details of the One Project
(k_Lutz) #8

So you would claim that the GC has absolutely no political motivation for publicly announcing this infusion of capital at this time in an area where it has significant loyalty, while the NAD infrastructure crumbles around us?

Trust the Process.

(Robert Sonter) #9

David, a couple of comments.

If you want to address a comment to the website editor, it’s best to use the “at” symbol, with their account name, as I’m doing here @website_editor. That way, the comment will actually be highlighted for their attention.

And while I’m sure the website editor will notice and respond to your questions, my own take on this is that @kennlutz is entitled to call it as it appears (re his comment “Buying votes in Africa.”) The facts that support this notion are as follows:

• Ted Wilson is pushing a strong agenda that is unpopular in those Divisions based predominately in the developed world;
  • It follows that if Ted Wilson wants to be reappointed at the upcoming GC Session, he needs support from those Divisions based in the developing world;
  • The General Conference is not noted for its transparency in matters relating to the allocation of finances, and therefore leaves itself open to speculation about the processes by which these decisions are made, and the motivation of the senior officers.

I have to confess that the words Kenn used ran through my mind (more or less verbatim) before I even scrolled down and read his comment.

(His choice to make such an inference is, at minimum, uncharitable and we should try to comment at a gentler level IMO. For the reasons you mention, it can be viewed as borderline or within acceptability. You realize, of course, that some of the conservative commenters are sure Spectrum is biased and we have - not infrequently - been so called-out by those who think some strike thru or omission of a strike thru - is de-facto evidence for our failure to be fair to the conservative viewpoint. - website editor)

(George Tichy) #10

:thumbsup: I liked the "typo alert."
Will start using also “Heresy Alert” when/if indicated… :slight_smile:

(George Tichy) #11

If I could only tell what my parakeets told me about international trips that happened before 2010…
But that’s just bird talk…

(Robert Sonter) #12

Fair call. My only comment is that those who cry the loudest are not necessarily the most objective. But I’m sure you know that anyway… :wink:

@website_editor, @kennlutz, @truthmaintained

(k_Lutz) #13

Yes, Robert. Self-subscribed victims are the paragon of virtue and indifference.

Trust the Process.

(Bb Yeaton) #14

Gun Violence?? If the victims had been slashed, would we call it machete violence or knife violence? This term was concocted by people who wish America could be free of ALL guns including those used by law enforcement and sportsmen…as if.

Say man climbs to building roof and waits for boss to exit and drops a bowling ball on his head. Would that be bowling ball violence?

It is amazing how Adventism tends to shadow Democratic agendas. I wonder where the Headline News articles are that relate to the thousands of babies that have fallen victim to scalpel violence right down the road.

Seventh Day Democradventism.

(George Tichy) #15

It sounds like someone who bought shares from the NRA…

(Randy Givens) #16

Amendment 2
A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

As you are so fast to tell people they shouldn’t comment on subjects they don’t know anything about . Sarcasm should have some truth to it.

[quote=“GeorgeTichy, post:15, topic:7676, full:true”]
It sounds like someone who bought shares from the NRA…
[/quote] The NRA is not a publicly traded company . More people have been killed with cars. Why do you discriminate against gun owners . Why not knifes ,bowling balls , cars , rope etc.
http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?&id=HN.607996146398006169&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

(George Tichy) #17

It’s obvious that we have completely opposite opinions on this issue, and none of us is going to change.
On my side, I am not buying a war tank as a toy…

In The Grip of Anti NRA-Mafia

(Bb Yeaton) #18

Why don’t you take a stab at the logic instead of swiping at me?

Knives were used in almost 2000 homicides in this country last year. Why does the term “knife violence” sound so ridiculous given the fact that knives are used in violent acts almost as much as g-u-n-s?

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #19

How sad that some Adventists defend any weapon. Our church history is one of refusal to bear arms.

(Bb Yeaton) #20

Every pacifist owes their serene, dreamy existence to dozens of men and women who were willing to mitigate evil with the use of weapons. Safety and peace, this side of heaven, are by-products of initiatives you or some SDAs disagree with.

A true Adventist, as you have begun to define, has no business calling 911 for police intervention…you know…they have the g word and other “any” weapons.