HEADLINES: Adventist Congresswoman at Center of Ethics Committee Investigation

(Spectrumbot) #1

Sheila Jackson Lee Subject of Senate Ethics Investigation. Representative Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Tex) is one of ten members of Congress at the center of a House Ethics Committee investigation for participating in a secret, all-expenses paid trip to Baku on the Caspian Sea, funded by the state-owned oil company of Azerbaijan. The oil company known as SOCAR, purportedly funneled $750,000 through nonprofits based in the United States to conceal the source of the funding for the conference in the former Soviet nation. Jackson Lee is one of a small handful of congresspersons associated with the Adventist Church, though sources say hers is a strained relationship. From The Washington Post, "10 members of Congress took trip secretly funded by foreign government."

Softball Player Recommits to Sabbath Observance. Seventh-day Adventist Lexi Mollohan has decided to forgo playing softball on her Comstock, Michigan team in a re-commitment to her faith.  She and her family have returned to their Adventist roots and want to strengthen their belief through more traditional Sabbath-keeping activities. From MLive Media, "Comstock shortstop forbidden by religion to play in districts."

Washington Adventist Recruits High School Star Demyra Selby. Just weeks after scoring her 2,000th point in high school competition, heavily-recruited point guard Demyra Selby of Mardela High School signed a letter of intent to play for Washington Adventist University's Shock women's basketball team next year. Selby received offers from many colleges and universities interested in her offensive prowess on the court. After scholarship offers from Washington Adventist came through, Selby made her choice to stay close to home. From Delma VA Now, "Mardela's Selby signs with Washington Adventist.

Bethesda French Members Killed, Others Injured in New York Crash. Ariel Regis, 35, was one of seven passengers riding in a van, survived a crash that killed three other members of Bethesda French Seventh-day Adventist Church in Flatlands, New York. Regis thanked Jesus that his life was spared.  Two other survivors were hospitalized; one other like Regis was treated at the scene.  The men were traveling from the Honors Haven Resort where they had attended a three-day retreat for the Greater New York Conference of Seventh-day Adventists. From Christian Post, "Man who survived van carsh that killed fellow congregants says Jesus saved my life."

Former Adventist Now Writes as Catholic Apologist. Michelle Arnold, raised as an Adventist, serves as a apologist for Catholic media on the Patheos Catholic channel and on Facebook.  She became a Catholic in 1996.  She views The Great Controversy by Ellen G. White as a "black fable, published in the guise of a history of the Christian faith." From Patheos, "Michelle Arnold comes to Patheos."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6810

(jeremy) #2

that’s kind of too bad about sheila jackson lee…i’ve always considered her an asset of our church…mind you, these ethics committee investigations are quite meaningless…everyone in congresss is involved at one time or another in the kind of thing sheila’s being investigated for…

(Elaine Nelson) #3

Did anyone else note the irony in two stories: A great athlete turns down offers to play on her home softball team apparently, though unstated, that she would be obligated to play during Sabbath hours. While another athlete who won a competition has decided to play for the WAC basketball team, which obviously will not be playing on Sabbath. Two offers, two choices. Both Adventists making different choices.

In the van crash that killed an Adventist, the survivor thanked Jesus her life was spared; no comment about the unfortunate ones who Jesus did not spare. Did Jesus get credit for a life saved but no mention of His not saving the others? An oversight?

(Randle Patrick) #4
  1. The “Day” doesn’t save.

2. The news item about the CUC recruit doesn’t mention the recruit being a SdA. What the news item doesn’t mention is if she could have been academically admitted to Stevenson specifically. . Knowing both institutions and their academic requirements CUC was probably her best option. The “facilities” don’t compare as the CUC gym is a Sanford and Son relic…

Do a follow up in 4 years and see if she graduates. And see if the head coach is still there.

Disclose the monetary value of the athletic scholarship and how much the recruit will have to borrow in student loans for the time she is there.

CUC has more pressing concerns about the nursing program and the nursing school accreditation to remove themselves from double secret “warning” probation.

And then there is CUC’s decreasing enrollment.

(Kim Green) #5

Interesting that Ms. Arnold jumps from being raised an Adventist to becoming a Catholic apologist…though there are some similarities between the two :slight_smile:

(George Tichy) #6

It’s probably only a matter of who offers better wages… :slight_smile:

(Kim Green) #7

LOL…perhaps that and the better benefits package!

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #8

So if everybody’s doing it, it’s OK?

(Thomas J Zwemer) #9

what a difference a day makes. Both sides argue over the manner of worship rather that to Whom worship is focused. If all one had to go on were the public comments of the two leaders, the choice would go to Rome.

Once Adventist Health was an outreach, now it is the cash cow. with management first in line.,

I see no merit in institutional broadsides. Everyone has blood on their hands.

my council is find a pastor who teaches and lives the Gospel of Grace and enjoy the fellowship it engenders. While a member of the Board of United Way, I met most of the pastors of Augusts. the Red Door Lutheran Church, St Paul’s Episcopal, and Reid Memorial Presbiterian. Were outstanding, . the format of worship at the Presbyterian was closest to my history. so we attended and were enriched, after months of candid conversation we joined., There are a few Adventist pastors that carry the same cordial message of Grace. So I am not into denominationalism, but rejoice in the Gospel in any venue. ,

Apparently so Hopeful :smile: I, too, was thinking something similar when I read his comment.

tsk, tsk, Jeremy :disappointed:

(Robert Sonter) #11

I think Sheila Jackson is a modern day “Ellen White”. Everybody should cut her a bit of slack

(Thomas J Zwemer) #12

the Ethics Committee is not like Glacier View. Its primary function is to prevent some outside body taking a run at it., (We police our own, thank you!). It may get some bad press back home But the outcome will be, Do a better laundering next time. Tom Z

(Kim Green) #13

…and both of them think that it is pleasing to God.

Indeed, even if all we could say is that one of them has a more astute and polished speech writer! :smile:

Oh, what a tangled web we weave…

True, they weren’t taught about the “cordial” message of Grace though some have grasped the concept and try to impart it. If you can’t rejoice in the Gospel- what’s the use of being a Christian?

(jeremy) #14

that’s generally good cover in politics…in this case, there isn’t anything in it for either party to kick up a fuss over, since both republicans and democrats are involved…all of which means this investigation is likely a publicity stunt for the ethics committee - it’s going nowhere…

(Paula) #15

I did not know this lady before today, she is an Adventist? doesn’t look like on to me, but anyway, that’s a whole nother topic.

(jeremy) #16

it is a whole nother topic…presumably esther wore jewelry, not to mention all of israel’s nobility…on that score, i think it’s a question of context…

(Paula) #17

Vandieman.

I am coming to grips with Adventists from all different walks of life, different rules for different regions. Compromise here, compromise there, I guess we are looking for Jesus’ return in our own different ways as well. Just a thought.

(George Tichy) #18

Judgment by the look? Hmmm… just wondering how accurate this may be.

(Carolyn Parsons) #19

In an SDA household somewhere in the US.

“Mom, dad, I have something really important to talk to you about. I know that you love me very much so I can’t keep this secret any longer”.

“Yes, go ahead. we love you no matter what”.

“I am a lesbian”.

“what a relief, for a minute there we thought you were going to say you converted to Catholicism”.

(George Tichy) #20

I bet there may be cases where the parents are so biased that they may say that the reverse is the “relief”…