Headlines: Adventist Legal Affairs Director Supports Muslim Woman Against Abercrombie & Fitch

(Spectrumbot) #1

Adventist Legal Affairs Director Supports Muslim Woman Against Abercrombie & Fitch. The Huffington Post published an op-ed by Dwayne Leslie, Legislative Affairs director for the Seventh-day Adventist Church, about a case for which the church filed an amicus brief regarding the religious freedom rights of a young Muslim woman to wear a head scarf at work. Adventists were joined by a number of other organizations in supporting this case: American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU), Christian Legal Society, National Association of Evangelicals, Church of God in Christ, American Islamic Congress, the Sikh Coalition. From Huffington Post, "Abercrombie & Fitch, The Supreme Court and You."

Sanitarium Could Make Millions from Pharmaceutical. Baltimore's Asklepion Pharmaceuticals, which tax-exempt New Zealand breakfast cereal manufacturer Sanitarium invested in, is posed to make more than $100 million over the next few years from the sale of a colic acid treatment for a deadly genetic liver defect. While the church declined to reveal the amount of capital Sanitarium had invested, "the core rationale for Sanitarium investing in biotech companies--that are creating products that save lives--is to generate funds for further charitable work in New Zealand," James Standish, communications director for the South Pacific Division, said. From New Zealand Herald, "Sanitarium stands to reap windfall from liver drug."

African Governments Want Adventists to Promote Condom Use. HIV/AIDS prevention in Botswana and Zimbabwe has created tension between the governments and Adventist healthcare facilities. Government officials in both countries want Adventists to have stronger policies than abstinence out side of marriage and faithfulness within marriage. The officials want Adventist facilities to provide condoms and encourage the use of condoms for sexual relations whether or not couples are married. From All Africa, "Botswana: SDA Hospital Not Distribution Point for Contraceptives - Official" and "Zimbabwe: Stamps Blames Catholics, SDA for HIV Stigma."

MEND Act Will Benefit Hospital-based Schools Like Kettering College. Nate Brandstater, president of Kettering College in Ohio, has worked with U.S. Senators Rob Portman (R-Ohio) and Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio) on the Making the Education of Nursing Dependable for Schools (MEND) Act. The legislation would allow Medicare “pass-through” support payments to hospital-based nursing programs to continue after accrediting bodies required hospital-based programs to become separately incorporated to retain accreditation. Brandstater called the bill "vital legislation" that "protects the training of highly-skilled nurses and tens of thousands of healthcare-related jobs throughout Ohio and the United States." From The Vindicator and Vindy.com, "Portman and Brown introduce bill to boost Ohio nursing programs."

Sanjay Gupta, CNN Feature Loma Linda University Health. Loma Linda University Health community and its long-running and leading research, programs, and leaders are featured on CNN’s “Vital Signs with Dr. Sanjay Gupta,” a monthly program featuring healthy aging and greater longevity. The 30-minute program was broadcast on the CNN International channel worldwide during the month of February and addressed the question, “What can one do to live a healthier, happier, and longer life?” The CNN show is posted online.

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6674

(Elaine Nelson) #2

The churches are unconscionable in refusing to help in combating AIDS. The incidence of married women remains with more severe effects because many men leave home for work, coming home infrequently. Thus, the faithful woman is infected, and can infect her children and future children.

Blaming victims is an old religious tactic. Should medical authorities deny contraceptives for unmarrieds? This is shameful that the SdA church is united with the Catholic church in being obstinate in refusing to do the utmost to prevent disease? Since when do Adventist hospitals only practice remedial medicine and not preventive? Should they also refuse to vaccinated young girls against HPV on the basis of “encouraging” sexual activity?

(Thomas J Zwemer) #3

certainly Religious Liberty extends beyond ones own beliefs, but not up to snake handling and pot to my mind. Tom Z

(le vieux) #4

Why should the church encourage immoral behavior by helping distribute contraceptives? That seems to be the left’s solution to all of these sexual problems: make condoms or birth control available. Don’t use common sense; don’t resist the urge to mess around with whoever you want; just make sure it’s “safe” sex. Insanity. Or is it just debauchery?

(Carol June Hooker) #6

You probably are aware that married persons also use condoms, both for birth control and for protection of the partner of a person who is ill.

(Carolyn Parsons) #7

There is absolutely nothing that shows that distributing condoms leads to more sex. It just leads to safer sex for those who will be sexually active anyhow.

(Carolyn Parsons) #8

I am happy that religious liberty organizations are supporting these women along with the ACLU. Abercrombie and Fitch has been in trouble before about their hiring practices.

(Richard Ludders) #9

Would you rather prevent disease or go to the doctor to cure disease? Would you prefer unwanted pregnancies? If everybody could be a clone of you this would not be a problem. But that is not possible. Does curing STDs encourage future immoral behavior? If you had a son or daughter that was promiscuous would you encourage them to use safety precautions so they would not get and spread disease?

(Rohan Charlton) #10

I guess we shouldn’t have guardrails on the edge of roads or steep drops? People should drive carefully or not stand too close to the edge?

Ppl are gonna have sex. It’s necessary that they are given the means to do it safely. It’s a basic public health measure…

(Elaine Nelson) #11

It’s why there are such things as vaccinations and all kinds of preventive medicine.
It is so much easier and cheaper to prevent medical problems than attempt to cure them much later.

Preventing terrible diseases and unwanted pregnancies are the benefits of medical **SCIENTIFIC **discoveries, which many have problems with here on this site.

(Steve Mga) #12

Regarding HIV
Does anyone remember the days when it was thought one could get it by touching someone? A mother holding the hand of her son, daughter? Eating after them, so had to have separate dishes? Kissing? Maybe have a tear drop on them?
And the ambulance services unwilling to transport them to the hospital? Undertakers refusing to accept them? Hurried cremation the only way to handle them?
Medical staff not always willing to care for them?

Some present day African folklore is that a male can be cured of HIV if he has sex with a Virgin. There are a lot of other fables about cure and transmission in African local “witch doctor” lore.
Seventh day Adventist hospitals and clinics not being part of the Preventative Process are being a part of the Spread of the Disease. It is just that Simple.
We will put ourselves in harm’s way for Ebola. But wont lift a finger for HIV.

Since I have been here in Macon, I have had 5 friends die from HIV complications, and they were receiving good care. I know how I felt and still feel at my loss of their friendship. I cant image what it must be like to lose lots of people in a close community like a lot of Africans have.

(George Tichy) #13

Pici,
This is a little too extreme to the “right,” don’t you think?
Do you really think that this is what happens when contraceptives are distributed? This about countries where poverty and lack of education afflict the majority of the population. And you are talking about “immoral behavior?”

Well… I kind of expected you making such a comment anyway.

(jeremy) #14

promoting condoms isn’t necessarily antithetical to an abstinence message…it’s simply the responsible side to be on from a health standpoint, and from the equally important perceived health standpoint…

having said that, promoting condoms is probably a hopeless, discouraging strategy in the big scheme of things…this is because many people simply don’t enjoy them…in the gay community in n. america, especially in poz circles, there is the phenomenon known as “condom fatigue”, where the message of condoms has run out of traction and has in fact resulted in something of a backlash, and “condom bias”, where people lose interest in sex as soon as a condom is offered them, for a variety of reasons, including the suspicion that they are viewed as untrustworthy…in addition, because hiv is no longer a certain death sentence, the urgency for condom use has been greatly diminished:

there is also the reality of the increasingly widespread use of prep, which is supposed to be used with condoms, but has come to be viewed by some as an alternative to condoms:

(Robert Sonter) #15

Given that Ms Elauf wore her hijab at her employment interview, it sounds as though the real problem here was with the company rep conducting the interview, in that they were not sufficiently aware of the dress policy of the company.

But one wonders how this would have played out, had the interviewer been aware and mentioned that a headdress was not allowed. Would this have been perceived as religious discrimination? And if not, the company would have been better to simply address this error in understanding, rather than trying to find other ways to mark down the applicant.

I’m disappointed that the Adventist church has weighed into this debate. In my opinion, Islam is not a religion with which anybody in western society should be trying to make accommodations. And I’m not convinced that any broader implications for religious liberty are present here.

(le vieux) #16

Well, if Caesar wants to hand them out that’s one thing, but I don’t believe the church should be aiding and abetting. Instead, the church should be providing incentives for reaching a higher standard.

(le vieux) #17

People are doing to do all sorts of stupid, dangerous things. Why should we make it easier for them to do so?

(le vieux) #18

They are adults. They know the risks, and how to avoid them. The only “safety precaution” worth anything is abstinence until marriage.

(Elmer Cupino) #19

Can you elucidate more on the connection between “immoral behavior” and “contraceptives?” You’ve got me all lost!

(Elmer Cupino) #20

What is so “stupid and dangerous” about sex? Is having sex with your wife “stupid and dangerous?” You’ve got me all lost!

(le vieux) #21

Come Doc., you’re smarter than that. Having sex with anyone one other than your spouse is “stupid and dangerous.” However, I wasn’t limiting “stupid and dangerous” to extramarital affairs; I was speaking of stupid, dangerous activities in general, and questioning the wisdom of aiding and abetting anyone in any kind of dumb behavior, be it sexual or otherwise…