Headlines: Baptists Disinvite Prospective Candidate Ben Carson

(Spectrumbot) #1

Ben Carson Disinvited by the Southern Baptist Pastors Conference

Baptists Disinvite Prospective Candidate Ben Carson. Retired Seventh-day Adventist neurosurgeon and possible presidential candidate Ben Carson withdrew from speaking to the annual Southern Baptist Pastors Conference in Columbus, Ohio. Baptist21, a group of young pastors, objected to his appearance due to his Adventist beliefs: Sabbath worship, accepting all people as God's children, and evil-doers not burning eternally in hell. Other Baptist21 members were concerned that Carson is too tied to politics. From Christianity Today, "Baptist Pastors Won’t Hear Ben Carson after Young Pastors Object." And from BR Now, "Carson to withdraw as Pastor's Conf. speaker."

Parents Who Forgave Daughter's Killer Lead Forgiveness Workshops. The Tri-City Herald in Washington took the Easter holiday as an opportunity to focus on forgiveness with a story shared for the last 20-plus years by Darold and Barbara Bigger. After the murder of their daughter Shannon, Darold Bigger, who serves on the Walla Walla University Religion faculty and as Assistant to the President, and Barbara, retired director of the Walla Walla University campus store, forgave her killer though he never acted remorsefully at his conviction. The Biggers now travel the country speaking and holding workshops on forgiveness. From Tri-City Herald, "Walla Walla couple celebrate time for forgiveness."

Zambian President Joins Adventist Million-member Celebration. Zambia's president, Edger Lungu, celebrated with hundreds of Seventh-day Adventist members, in a ceremony commemorating the church in Zambia's reaching a membership of one million. Other dignitaries included First Lady Esther Lungu, Agriculture and Livestock Minister Given Lubinda, his political advisor Kaizer Zulu, his Special Assistant for Press and Public Relations Amos Chanda, and other senior government officials. Seventh-day Adventist Pathfinders, dressed in white and green uniforms, sang both the Pathfinder theme song and the Zambian national anthem.

Loma Linda University Health Names New Dean for School of Public Health. Loma Linda University Health has announced that Dr. Helen Hopp Marshak will replace LLUH provost, Dr. Ronald Carter, as dean of the School of Public Health. Carter had served as interim dean since January 1 of this year. For more than two decades, Hopp Marshak has served in the school as a faculty member, and for the past four years as associate dean of academic affairs.

Battle Creek Historic Village Touted as Tourist Attraction. The roots of Adventist health reform is being recommended by a Michigan TV news station's weatherman Kevin Craig as a place viewers should visit. The Battle Creek, Michigan village features 29 buildings on a three-block area. The welcome center displays medical and exercise inventions made by John Harvey Kellogg. From Fox 17 Online, "Battle Creek’s historic Seventh Day Adventist Village (sic)."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6781

(Kim Green) #2

The Biggers are preaching a sermon that is larger than life…so rare that you see people like this who decide to give their own grief a form and function. Biggers, you are my heroes because you are spreading Christian love and are exemplary examples of forgiveness!

(Elaine Nelson) #3

My, My, Baptists are more conservative than Adventists!

(Kim Green) #4

Some Baptists are…just like some Adventists :slight_smile:

I read the article yesterday. These pastors from Baptist21 are mostly Calvinists, and do not represent all Baptists of course:

The mostly Calvinist preachers objected to the beliefs of Carson’s booming Seventh-day Adventist Church…

They also objected to a statement made on Easter by Carson that Jews, Christians, and Muslims are all God’s children.

“Certainly, we do not all worship the same God—we worship the Trinity whom Muslims and Jews would deny,” leaders of Baptist21 wrote on their blog. “And, the idea that we are all God’s children is at best the type of liberalism the Conservative Resurgence sought to address, and at worst, it is universalism.”

Carson and “liberalism” in the same sentence. I know some here will enjoy that :smile:…or maybe thats a good thing. It shows that even our conservative Adventists are not as conservative as many believe.

Also Carson was invited before there was any serious talk of him running for officer. This seems to be another reason why they dont want him to talk. But not a very convincing one:

Politicians have spoken at the Southern Baptist pastors conference and the Southern Baptist Convention’s annual meeting in the past.

Mike Huckabee, a former governor of Arkansas and former Southern Baptist pastor, spoke at the conference in 2009 and in 2013.

Its a good read.

(George Tichy) #6

It will be interesting when some Adventists disinvite him from their churches… :slight_smile:

(Billman) #7

There goes the Baptist vote. And Carson hasn’t even declared yet. Ouch.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #8

I teach a non denominational Bible class once a month. A little old Baptist lady takes a front role seat center. So far I get a Pass, even though I am a member of a Presbyterian church I was baptized by immersion. Following the class the Baptist chaplain has vespers. she urges me to attend but at 90 I am washed out after a 45 minute lesson period. Tom Z

(Steve Mga) #9

I wonder why he didnt just go on and add, Hindus and Buddhists?
The Baptists must have forgotten that there is only ONE original line of Humans – Adam and Eve. So ALL humans are God’s Children no matter HOW they wish to celebrate Him or Not celebrate Him.
Truly — For some, their God is WAY Too Small!!

Southern Baptists are a unique organization. Mercer University [which I can see from my window, and enjoy musical events at] used to be a member of that organization. A few years back the President [Pastor R. Kirby Godsey] allowed GLs who attend to have space to meet. The Convention heard about it. They kicked Mercer University out of the Convention, and De-Frocked President Godsey.
But that was GOOD for Mercer. They are a much stronger University financially and program wise because of the separation. So it was a Baptist loss.

(Kevin Paulson) #10

And yet many of those same Baptist preachers have had as a speaker, in one setting or another, one Mitt Romney, who is Mormon—a faith classified by most conservative evangelicals as a cult. Many others of these supported Roman Catholic Rick Santorum in the Republican primaries four years ago.

Adventist deviations from evangelical orthodoxy would appear to be more egregious in the eyes of these folks than those of Catholics and Mormons. Most interesting.

But then, such a perspective dovetails well with classic Adventist eschatology, which shouldn’t surprise any careful observer of current events.

(Elmer Cupino) #11

Is this really a fact? Does the SB church really believe that evil-doers will burn eternally in hell? Their anger for sin cannot be quenched! One begins to wonder what fuels this anger? This brings to mind Oliver Cromwell’s posthumous execution. After a trial? “Let the dead remain dead.”

(Carolyn Parsons) #12

I shopped at the campus store at Walla Walla and listened to Pastor Bigger preach. I knew the Biggers to be principled, gentle and caring to the core.

That’s what I am talking about. An agriculture and livestock minister among the dignitaries. Finally getting some credit for my peeps.

(Justis) #13

I use to be a member of the Baptist church and still have a deep love for the Baptist people. However, I am disappointed with the attitude of their young pastors, Baptist21. Ben Carson’s purpose for meeting with them was not for the purpose of getting into a theological dispute. It was obviously for the purpose of sharing some of his perspective on his political venture, and future. Ben is to smart to walk on to their turf and start an argument that would obviously create a problem that could not be resolved under the circumstances. By allowing Ben to come and share his political asperations it would have shown at attitude of acceptance, and tolerance, and spiritual maturity on their part. They do not have to agree with his religious, theological position. I wonder, if President Obama, or the Pope was requesting an audience with this group, would they have given these prominent individuals their backs as well, citing their theological positions. I think not, for the disgrace of such behaviour and attitude would have been duly noted all over the world. The spirit of Pharisaism runs rampant every where, and it is this spirit that Jesus had to struggle against in His day. May the blessed Lord teach all of us to come down from our high horse as He did for the apostle Paul.

(Justis) #14

More conservative in some ways, but way more liberal in other ways, especially when it comes to sound biblical teachings. I use to be a Baptist before I became a Seventh-day Adventist.

(Brad(Luna)) #15

I have always found Calvinism when combined with eternal hellfire to be the most disturbing of all theologies. Taken to its logical conclusion, they are literally worshiping an evil being who made people evil and then tortures said people for eternity because he made them evil.

It’s essentially Emperor Palpatine.

(Randle Patrick) #16

Run Ben Run:

Indeed, Luna: when taken to its logical conclusion, what else is one left with but a hideous picture of God. Secular people see it so clearly. Especially the younger generation (postmodern thinkers), who are very sensitive to certain issues, and injustices.

Its official. Ben Carson is running for 2016:

“I’m willing to be part of the equation and, therefore, I’m announcing my candidacy for president of the United States of America,” Carson said in an interview with CBS affiliate WPEC-TV in West Palm Beach, Florida.
http://news.yahoo.com/carson-tells-tv-station-hell-seek-republican-presidential-230915112.html

(George Tichy) #19

Yes, it’s official. The man who wants to take health insurance from those who have access to it through the current law of the land.

It’s amazing how people coming from poverty can quickly forget about the poor once they are no longer poor themselves. But I bet he is sleeping well and going to Church on Sabbaths…

(George Tichy) #20

Carson’s campaign has FIVE main pillars*. Maybe this is why he was disinvited…

*Or are they actually his “5 Fundamental Beliefs?”…