Headlines: Ben Carson's Vetting Continues With Mannatech Revelations

(Spectrumbot) #1

Ben Carson's Vetting Continues With Mannatech Revelations. Retired Seventh-day Adventist neurosurgeon and prospective Republican presidential candidate Ben Carson spent over a decade serving as a pitchman for Mannatech, Inc., a multi-level nutritional supplement company at the center of a false advertising lawsuit, according to reports. Carson currently appears in a promotional video on the Mannatech website, though his business manager contends that Mannatech is trying to use Carson to promote and to monetize the company's website. From National Review, "Ben Carson's Troubling Connection."

Loma Linda University Offers Short Term Car Rentals Through Zipcar. In January Loma Linda University Health (LLUH) partnered with Zipcar to provide two cars--a Ford Focus and a Toyota Prius--for use by students, patients, faculty, and staff. The cars will help those who do not own cars as well as providing "environmental stewardship," according to senior vice president Rodney Neal. Zipcar offers short-term rental vehicles by the hour or by the day to those with Zipcar memberships. From Highland Community News, "LLU Teams with Zipcar for car sharing."

Central Malawi Conference Administrator Accused of Impregnating Niece. Seventh-day Adventist Executive Secretary for Central Region Conference in Malawi, Harrison Juwa, 50, is charged with molesting and impregnating his 13-year-old niece. The girl lived in Juwa's home after his brother died in 2011. Jewa faces a maximum penalty of 14 years in jail. From Malawi Times, "Kaliati fury over Malawi SDA Pastor arrested for sexual assault."

Florida Health Partners With Tampa General Hospital on New $60M Facility. Florida Hospital, part of Adventist Health System, has partnered with Tampa General Hospital to create a new $60 million outpatient facility in Brandon, Florida, launch a home care agency and create a hospice program. The partnership will be a 50/50 investment called West Florida Health that will allow Florida Hospital and Tampa General Hospital to better compete with BayCare Health System, the largest hospital system in Tampa Bay. From Tampa Bay Times, "Tampa General, Florida Hospital form new company to offer wider range of care."

Trinidad and Tobago PM Calls Funding Churches a State Responsibility. Trinidad and Tobago Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar defended her government's $55 million gift to Christian churches at Christmas last year. Persad-Bissessar believes that the government is duty-bound to provide financing to faith-based organizations because they are "are critical to stability and harmony" in Trinidad and Tobago. The Prime Minister spoke at the South Caribbean Conference of Seventh-Day Adventists Vision One Million rally at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Trinidad. From Trinidad and Tobago Guardian, "PM on church funding- It’s a state responsibility."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6560

Hey! That’s what I drive now. A far cry from what I had as my first car, before my “beloved” brother smashed it :cry:

A 1972 Torana GTR XU1. I feel like I must share this picture of how one looks, seeing as many of you have no idea, being from the U.S. Same colour too.

Be honest now…she’s beautiful, yes?

(Rohan Charlton) #3

I didn’t realise you were a bogan Tony! :slight_smile: haha

Cool car man. Definitely keen to watch the Doug B vid as well. Thanks for uploading.

That illuminati/agenda 21 headline is an attn grabber, that’s all. But it is amazing how people are jumping onto what he says in that context now that he is a candidate. That was quick!

(Rohan Charlton) #4

Ghastly about the 13yr old being impregnated by (allegedly) the SDA pastor. If it’s true…Throw away the key.

Let’s hope that the church throws its full support behind the victim and she recieves all the care and medical attention/options that she needs.

(Kevin Paulson) #5

National Review being the prominent conservative publication that it is in the political world, this article may not bode well for Carson. Certainly it can’t be written off as left-wing propaganda.

(George Tichy) #6

PipimGate II?
Cases like these have to be “treated” by the authorities. The Church may end up only transferring the guy to another position. It only depends on what “connections” he has.

(Elaine Nelson) #7

Why is anyone surprised about the revelation of Carson? He’s another publicity hound. And announcing his candidacy so soon is another not-so-smart move. Running for office ensures that all the skeletons will be dragged out, usually one-by one. There’s always plenty of shoes to drop.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #8

he should keep the royalties from his book and go fishing.,Tom Z

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #9

All too cozy by half. What’s happened to the Adventist concerns re: church & state?

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #10

Oops. Carson endorsed Mannatech both as a physician & a Christian.

“He had no idea who these people are. They’re booked through the speakers’ bureau.” —Armstrong Williams, Carson’s business manager

“The wonderful thing about a company like Mannatech is that they recognize that when God made us, He gave us the right fuel. And that fuel was the right kind of healthy food. You know we live in a society that is very sophisticated, and sometimes we’re not able to achieve the original diet. And we have to alter our diet to fit our lifestyle. Many of the natural things are not included in our diet. Basically what the company is doing is trying to find a way to restore natural diet as a medicine or as a mechanism for maintaining health.” —Dr Ben Carson

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #11

By not being left-wing propaganda, this is highly politically significant in that we see the conservatives distancing from Carson & even disqualifying his candidacy.

(Carolyn Parsons) #12

I need to add natural things to my diet too. Maybe I should take an all-natural supplement that has natural things in it. You know, things that restore a natural diet of natural things.

I once thought Dr. Carson was a bright man.

(George Tichy) #13

Tom, he is most certainly not going to spend a single penny of his own money. It’s always someone else’s money that makes the party!

(Jared Wright) #14

The hair-splitting analysis is that Carson technically has not announced his candidacy yet. No GOP candidate has officially announced yet, but there is a lot of posturing, a lot of positioning, a lot of hinting.

(Elaine Nelson) #15

You are theoretically right; but those who wish to be candidates are usually somewhat more subtle.

(Bille) #16

I suspect a lot of us did that. Apparently being able to do expert brain surgery does not require one to be a “bright man” when it comes to life in general. He could have remained a shining star for generations to come had he not put himself in a position where he is being scrutinized by many diverse people from diverse angles. Perhaps it is for the best that his character flaws be exposed as they are. Or are they “character flaws”? Is the man mentally well? Do persons who are “of sound mind” indulge in such fantasies of grandeur as to aspire to positions that are so far away from any training and/or experience one has as what he has evidenced? Calling all mental health professionals among us… @GeorgeTichy , @elmer_cupino , et al.

(Bille) #17

If that was what they were actually doing… it would only be their business ethics which would be questionable. Unfortunately, what they are doing is making a manufactured product which they falsely claim as being “natural”. That’s a much more serious breach of honesty and a much more dangerous type of trap for those in need of serious health counseling!

(Elmer Cupino) #18

"Do persons who are “of sound mind” indulge in such fantasies of grandeur as to aspire to positions that are so far away from any training and/or experience one has as what he has evidenced?"

Does anyone know how it is to be medical chief of a hospital department? You can do no wrong, people bow and your word is the law. You begin to feel invincible and god-like. Then when you’re at the top, you’re retired and sent to the pasture where you continue to feel privileged and entitled, but now without the bubble. All it takes is for someone to peel the onion one layer at a time then suddenly you begin to feel naked. So help me God… :blush:

(Bille) #19

When the “onion” is peeled… and the bubble bursts… what happens next?

(Elmer Cupino) #20

We regress and cry like babies! :smiley: