Headlines: Car Crash Kills PUC Senior Jayaram Notestine

(Spectrumbot) #1

Car Crash Kills PUC Senior. Pacific Union College senior Jayaram Notestine died in an auto accident May 22. Police reports did not immediately identify him by name, but the PUC Campus Chronicle Facebook page noted his death with plans to devote its next issue to him. From Napa Valley Register, "Two die in crash on Butts Canyon Road." And from the PUC Campus Chronicle: "We are deeply saddened..."

High School Track and Field Star Chooses to Compete on Sabbath. Donovan St. Louis, a practicing Seventh-day Adventist and Pennsylvania high school senior, has decided to compete in the PIAA Track & Field Championships, meaning he will run on Sabbath. One of the more versatile athletes in the county, his specialty is the 400-meter dash. While he feels guilty for not attending church on days he competes, he views himself as a "very spiritual person." From GameTimePa.com, "Boys Track and Field: St. Louis will be keeping the faith at state meet."

Zambia Residents Receive Free Health Care. Over 3,000 Chitungwiza, Zambia residents received free health care at 14 different clinics as part of the Seventh-day Adventist Revelation of Hope country-wide crusade. The church anticipates baptizing 30,000 people by the end of the effort on May 30. President Ted Wilson is joined by 87 other pastors working in many cities and towns. From AllAfrica.com, "Zimbabwe: SDA Offers Free Health Care," and from The Standard, "Adventists offer free medical care."

Adventist Health Takes Fifth Workplace Award. Adventist Health System has received the 2015 Gallup Great Workplace Award for the fifth consecutive year. This year, Gallup honored 40 organizations. The Gallup organization compares companies across a workplace research database comprised of work teams in more than 100 countries. Daniel Wolcott, Takoma's president and CEO, said, "This award demonstrates the deep connection our associates have with our mission to extend the healing ministry of Christ, and with our vision to be the best place to work, practice medicine, and receive care." From the Greenville Sun, "Adventist Health System Is Honored With The 2015 Gallup 'Great Workplace' Award."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6831

(Carolyn Parsons) #2

I am very happy to hear that the people being targeted for spiritual renewal are receiving physical renewal.

(le vieux) #3

Sad that a “practicing Seventh-day Adventist” does not have enough courage to refrain from competing on Sabbath like so many other young people have done. It takes more guts to stand for one’s convictions than to conform to what the world expects. Maybe he didn’t watch Chariots of Fire. He may indeed be “very spiritual,” but his priorities are confused.

(Kevin Paulson) #4

During my junior year at PUC, one of my close buddies got killed when he fell asleep at the wheel on Silverado Trail. It was a painful blow to all of us. I pray for God’s peace and comfort for the family of this young man whose life has been cut short.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #5

just what do adjectives connote? practicing? Observant? FundamentalistN? liberal? BMaybe in this case convenient? I think a Christian can engage in sporting events and still honor God… but can an Adventist? Vut want is the big deal. sabbath observance today means Sabbath School and Church period. Tom Z

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #6

You do see the irony, don’t you, in scolding an Adventist young person for not learning the values taught by a movie?!

(Rohan Charlton) #7

Due to Birder’s recent blanket condemnation of Hollywood, I submit your post to be firmly in the running for:

COMMENT OF THE YEAR!!

(le vieux) #8

A movie based on a true story. Reading the story would suffice. I mentioned it because it’s so well known.

(Sirje) #9

If “guts” is the issue, apparently this kid has the guts to live by his convictions, not seeing anything wrong about running a race on Sabbath. It takes guts to buck his social expectations. The Adventist social order keeps many a member from living out their convictions.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #10

I was baptized on a Sabbath afternoon. I went home, milked four cows, Cleaned the barn, fed the cows, horses, hens, bathed all before sundown. Then I knew I wasn’t ever going to be perfect. now I sit and read or blog. Tom Z

(le vieux) #11

Apparently you didn’t read it very carefully. He said that " he feels guilty for not attending church on days he competes." Obviously his convictions are not very strong, and he knows it’s wrong or he would have no guilty feelings.

(Peter) #12

Your judgment of Donovan is just that! This idea of you or anyone else deciding who a good Adventist is concerns me deeply. That is not your prerogative. Is is nothing but the sin of being judgmental! And I believe that telling people they are not a good Adventist is akin to waving a “Not Welcome” flag! That is what is truly sad.

Face it! There is more than one “type” of good, “practicing” Adventist! And one is not better than the other in God’s sight - only perhaps in yours.

(Carolyn Parsons) #13

The world is populated by people who feel guilty for things they did not do and others who don’t feel guilty for things they have.

(Pagophilus) #14

Is that because Ford or Heppenstall taught you that you could never be perfect or QOD? Perhaps you should have read Andreasen or Herbert Douglass instead.

If you decide from the outset that you’ll never make it, you never will. Set the bar high.

(Greg) #15

Pagophilus… please tell me you are not hinting at perfectionism. How bout you quote the Bible which states ALL have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. If man has the capability of reaching perfection why would we need a savior? And if we are able to reach perfection why do we still die? Death will does not exist in the perfect heaven.

(Sirje) #16

I don’t know how convicted this kid is, but I do know that some people feel guilty when they don’t just wade, but actually take a swim on Sabbath.

(Pagophilus) #17

Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect. Matthew 5:48

Now you have to look and see what the Bible means by perfect. It is more than just not breaking the law. But God calls us to refrain from sinning. If we continually say it’s impossible we won’t even try.

Because God never said that you will not die if you are perfect. Death will be gone in heaven and in the new earth, not now.

Because what’s the point of a few perfect people being on this world, persecuted by the rest? And mortal to top it off. But if everyone was “perfect” just imagine how much better life on this earth would be, and how much sooner Jesus would come.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #18

I was in the 8th grade, I knew Dr Heppenstall as a Junior Camp director. I heard Dr Andresan at a chapel talk, excellent. his theme was be very careful how you read Ellen White. he used the example that while a student he read Ellen White as saying – You eat too much! he cut down to one bowel of cereal a day and then read it again and made the bowel smaller until he almost died. Herbie Douglass I knew was the teachers pet at AUC. The source of my fears was Early Writings. And Great Controversy. My courage returned under the guidance of my father who really understood and lived the Gospel- Tough but oh so gentle. My mother was a saint, but raised as a Roman Catholic so was more into the jot and tiltle of the red books. I praise them both. No son ever had better parents and better schooling. There were actual Christian teachers at old E.M.C. Tom Z

(Elmer Cupino) #19

What a marvelous opportunity to witness for Christ. Way to go Donovan, let your light shine!

Go Keystone!

(Elmer Cupino) #20

Made and produced in Hollywood! What happened?