Headlines: South Korean Government Will Pay Whispering Pines to Teach Korean

(system) #1

In our weekly roundup of Adventist news stories:

Korea Will Pay Adventist School to Teach Korean. Whispering Pines Seventh-day Adventist School in Long Island is adopting Korean as an Elective Foreign Language Subject Project, offered by the South Korean government. None of the current students is Korean. The school, which has an enrollment of 124 elementary, middle, and high school students, will receive $13,000 from Korea’s Ministry of Education each year. From The Korea Times, "Long Island school with no Koreans adopts Korean as its 2nd official elective foreign language."

New Kellogg Biography Focuses on "Biologic Living". A biography of Adventist pioneer John Harvey Kellogg, "Dr. John Harvey Kellogg and the Religion of Biologic Living," has been published by Western Michigan University. The author, professor of Comparative Religion Brian C. Wilson, explores how Kellogg's healthy living ideas intersected with his religious views. At his Battle Creek Sanitarium, Kellogg invented what he termed "biologic living," believing that individuals could have perfect bodies. His views created conflict with Seventh-day Adventist leaders, resulting in a permanent split. From WMUK.org, "WMU Professor's Book on John Harvey Kellogg's Religion of Biologic Living."

Indigenous Australians Ask Church to Acknowledge Abuse. Former students mistreated at the Seventh-day Adventist Mona Mona mission near Cairns, Australia, which operated from 1913 to 1962, are asking church officials acknowledge the physical and sexual abuse that occurred during that time. The Queensland government recently compensated more than 70 Indigenous people for the abuse. From SBS.com.au, "Church turned blind eye to abuse in mission, elders say."

Avocados Curb Cravings. According to research at Loma Linda University Department of Nutrition, a person who eats half an avocado after eating breakfast will not feel hungry for three to five hours. Additionally, even when the participants increased their calorie and carbohydrate intake at lunch, they did not experience an increase blood sugar levels. From FruitNet.com, "Avocados help curb hunger craivings."

Pam Dietrich taught English at Loma Linda Academy for 26 years and served there eight more years as the 7-12 librarian. She lives in Redlands, CA.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6477

(Elaine Nelson) #2

Avocados are cheap and plentiful now and offer so much benefit for the money. In addition, they can be served so many ways and are delicious. Used as a spread on bread or tortillas is another easy way to serve them.

(Richard Ludders) #3

Elaine, I have been eating half of a large avocado for breakfast for many years. Never feel very hungry even after play 18 holes of golf and very nutritious.

(Steve Mga) #4

Avocados are 40% fat. Increases digestion time for fat. So maintains blood sugar.
Oat Meal has fat in it. Increases digestion time for fat. So maintains blood sugar and prevents “hungry feeling” longer than other cereals.

(Elaine Nelson) #5

More than 60 years ago my dad, living in Florida ate avocados daily; put mayo in the hole and ate with a spoon.

There are so many delicious fruits; currently, the d’anjou pears are my favorites that must be eaten over the sink–so juicy.

Maybe there should be a continuing topic here on healthful foods and the variety and many ways to serve them.

(Steve Mga) #6

According to the report on Mona Mona, the current SDA church is unwilling to help abused attendees to find resolution to their pain by not listening to them, by not validating their pain by reporting their stories. The SDA church is just ignoring what happened.

There was, roughly 3 weeks ago. It only received 23 views and @hopeful and I were the only ones to make a comment. Healthy eating doesn’t sell unfortunately.

Rachel Logan may never write another recipe again lol :wink:

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #8

I really like the food columns here, & hope Spectrum editors keep them coming. They’re not controversial so they don’t elicit that kind of traffic & commenting. Perhaps that great looking heirloom tomato tart got more attention on the regular site. I starred it although it was a bit late in the season for good tomatoes in my part of the world. Next summer…

@JaredWright

Amen!..

However, this is Spectrum. I’m sure we’ll find a way to make it controversial :smile:

(jeremy) #10

i hadn’t realized that avocados are so valuable…i usually eat 1 or 2 a week…maybe i should be eating more…

(Rohan Charlton) #11

Place avocado on the plate,

Drizzle a little Japanese soy sauce over the top…Surprisingly delicious. Quite addictive.
I often have this with Kimchi.

(Peter Marks) #12

Dear Pam,

I would assume that the Australian media are only too aware that the Australia-wide ‘Royal Commission into Institutional Responses to Allegations of Sexual Abuse’ will shortly move to an extended investigation of the Adventist church entities response. In the past year or so both Roman Catholic and Salvation Army entities have been subject to scrutiny and public outrage. And many other religious and civic organizations that have had personal dealings with children and young people.

Several weeks ago the South Pacific paper, ‘Record,’ welcomed such scrutiny and acknowledged that Australian Adventists would suffer some pain, but that it was good for the soul and that this pressure was helpful in goading Adventists to get their house in order. Events may yet prove that Adventists in Australia are among the smartest and most pro-active of institutional organizations in dealing with sexual abuse.

I would also assume that the Indigeneous Australians in far north Queensland are seeking to piggyback on the political pressure that is about to be brought to bear on the church in the next few weeks and months.

Adventists can hardly be faulted for following the dominant paternalistic practices of the era (1913-1962) in cooperating with the government in providing a boarding education for many young indigeneous people. What is not conscienable is the abuse of power that occured, particularly that of a sexual nature.

We must remember that until 1967 indigeneous people of Australia were not accorded Australian citizenship, though many of them fought for Australian in war-time

(Steve Mga) #13

Dr John Harvey was a very intelligent and creative person [not good at business like his brother W. K was and that was an irritation between the two]. In his role of food inventor, a lot of the reason was to create a more Asexual person. Decrease on the use of “Passionate” Foods.

(Mercy triumphs over judgment. James 2:13) #14

(Elaine Nelson) #15

For satiety value nothing beats eggs.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #16

generations ago , in Milwaukee, they were known as alligator pears. I gave a fruit basket to my receptionist for Thanksgiving. the Following Monday, she said that the fruit was excellent but the pear had a tough skin she couldn’t even bite through it. tom Z

(David P R) #17

Finally a topic we might all agree on ---- Avocados!

I love Avocados. I “discovered” them about 3 years ago and have been hooked since. We (my family) use them on our home-made veggie burgers as a topping along with tomatoes and onions.

Here is what I will eat for a breakfast. (this recipe will usually get people who do not like avocados to actually eat them.

Scoop out a whole avocado in a bowl.
Two heaping tablespoons of minced garlic (we buy jars of this stuff - sometimes I use fresh garlic though)
mix/mash together to make a spread
spread mixture onto 2 pieces of your favorite bread - double-toasted (I actually make it very crunchy/crispy)
Enjoy

The contrast between the spread and the bread is outstanding. I eat each piece separately.

David R.

(Rheticus) #18

The article on the Mission abuse says

“There has been no attempt made by the Church to come and hear their stories,” she says. “The elders are being let down by the Church.”

She says the majority of Mona Mona Elders are now set on pursuing legal action against the Seventh Day Adventist Church for the mistreatment they suffered at the mission.

That is REALLY bad. Listening attentively to victims, acknowledging the validity of what they tell you, offering reasonable compensation while acknowledging it can never really be enough - these are an important part of redressing past wrongs, and are often the cheapest path to acceptable resolution as well.

Denial, avoidance, blocking - they all lead to even more problems.

(Kevin Paulson) #19

I am definitely an avocado lover myself. The threshold of excellence for any Mexican restaurant, in my opinion, is whether they prepare table-side guacamole.

(le vieux) #20

Avocados curb cravings–except for more avocados. :wink: