"His Name Is George Floyd" Describes a Man and Society

Review of His Name Is George Floyd: One Man’s Life and the Struggle for Racial Justice by Robert Samuels and Toluse Olorunnipa (Viking, 2022).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11867
1 Like

Such an engaging and readable review of a book I most certainly would never have bothered to read. Why? Because its insights and reasoning are indisputable for anyone who has bothered to understand systemic racism in our history. Furthermore, for Adventists, the contrast with Ben Carson only highlights how fortuitous it is to have anyone or anything in our lives (as early as possible) to propel us in a positive direction. The claim that slavery is too distant from the present to function as a “reason” for modern black struggles, is itself an avoidance mechanism to minimize white responsibility to do more to rectify the past. Those tempted to minimize the early advantages provided by family and childhood education should learn to be silent in the face of the evidence.

6 Likes

And this is a short and partial list of people who died for George Floyd:

DAVID DORN - 77- retired police captain - shot by looters innSt. Louis
DAVID MC ATEE - 53 - owner of a bar-b-q restaurant
CHRIS BEATY - 38 - “Mr. Indianapolis” - played football for Indiana U - killed on the street during protest
DORIAN MURRELL - 29 -shot by a gang of 10 on the street after a protest
ITALIA KELLY - 22 - leaving protest in Davenport, Iowa
MARQUIS TOUSANT - 23 - killed by a gang of 6 in Davemport
PATRICK UNDERWOOD - 53 - security officer at US courthouse in Oakland, California -shot from a drive-by
CALVIN HORTON JR. - 43 - Minneapolis two days after Floyd’s death.
JAMES SCURLOCK - 22 - died in a scuffle with a bar owner
JAVAR HARRELL - 21 - shots fired into his vehicle
BARRY PERKINS III - 29 -killed while protesting

Everybody has a story. All are important to somebody. Who will tell their’s… and the society that is responsible for their deaths?

2 Likes

And your point is . . . Make it explicit for me.

What happened to George Floyd was horrific. Most people who watched the footage held their breaths too, waiting for the cop to take his knee off his neck. There was a trial and the guy is in prison. Justice was done. Of course, that was not enough; and we all knew what would happen next - riots, looting, fires burning down businesses destroying livelihoods of both blacks and whites -and more killing.

The US has a cultural heritage that we’ve struggled with. In that struggle, progress has been made. I remember when a contingent from AUC drove to Texas for a Youth Congress, but Nat Rose had be flown down because it would have been dangerous for everyone if there was one black guy among the whites in the car. Hopefully that kind of thing doesn’t happen anymore. However, there remains racism in the US - the obvious kind, a left over from ignorance; but there is another racism that’s more insidious. This one looks to be “caring” but it actually works to keep the black/white issue alive. It’s the kind that assumes that blacks continually need a helping hand - like voter ID’s not possible for the black community - why not? They drive and go to COSTCO. And then there’s the schools - (yet another issue.) The “helping hand” is continually saying, “you can’t do it without our help.” That’s racism at its worst.

In this case, George Floyd has been elevated to hero status, as a symbol of injustice? - But there was justice; and yet, many people, both black and white had to die because George Floyd died. Who’s heard the names of those people? And whose doing cultural studies of the civilization where the automatic reaction to black man dying is to burn down communities. The problem seems to be a “third rail” that continually whips up issues to divide the country into black/white; left/right.

I’m sorry for George Floyd and his family; and I’m also sorry for all those lives that were lost because of the one. It doesn’t have to happen.

3 Likes

Does the title mean to suggest that George Floyd struggled for Racial Justice?

Interesting.

This is precisely the same lesson my parents, teachers and preachers wanted me to learn in accepting EGW and Adventism.

Turns out that this was “in spite of the evidence to the contrary”, however.

Oh.

But one can’t possibly make a comparison between a life long struggle with the negative effects of racism and having been raised in a cult?

And yet, it feels like I just did.

The bottom line in both cases is that children and adults are betrayed by the system which claims to be doing the most to be bring “good” into the world, I.e., organized religion or, more particularly in America’s example, institutionalized Christianity, without whose approbation neither Slavery nor Adventist “Education” would have been condoned.

1 Like

Your analysis it seems to me misses several vital points. But, I don’t want to get into detail and back and forth on it.

Ok. But having said that, I wish you would clarify. You could send by email.

Will share your with me? Or prefer I send to you mine?

Either way Jim. Thanks

Here is may e address: jjlondis@aol.com

If you would send me your email, I’ll write directly to you. I’m traveling for a while with no printer and email is easier. Take care. Jim

I wonder about the wisdom in resisting arrest.
I wonder about excessive force used on resisting arrest when the subject is already restrained.
I wonder about looting, vandalizing, burning, and more killing as efficacy to prove a point or draw attention.
I wonder about government and law officials ignoring looting, vandalizing, and burning.
I wonder about innocent business owners who are held in check from protecting their property from animalistic behavior.
I wonder if Floyd tried to use the opportunities of government provided education. Ben Carson did.
I wonder about the old saying, “where there’s a will, there’s a way”.

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.