Hit me with your best (Adventist) poetry

(system) #1

A few days ago, Donna Haerich touched off a poetic firestorm with her limericks about gender issues and appointing women to prominent positions in Adventism. Now I’m a sucker for poetry, especially when it is humorous.

So to start my brief time as Alex Carpenter #3 (while the real Alex takes an Obama in Mexico), I invite you to participate in a poetry contest with an Adventist slant. In honor of Donna, we’ll make one category “limericks,” and the other category will be haiku. Limericks are 5 line poems in which lines 1,2 and 5 rhyme, and lines 3 and 4 ryhme with each other. Like the following:

A young Englishman dining at Crewe Found a rather large mouse in his stew. Said the waiter, "Don't shout And wave it about, Or the rest will be wanting one, too."

Limericks are usually humorous, and often end with a punch line. Here’s another example:

Linda Blair with great fervor confessed, She'd been exorcised, thus finding rest, But her life went off track And the demon came back So now the poor girl's repossessed.

If you need additional help putting together a limerick, or you need inspiration, click here for more five-lined goodness.

Three-lined haiku poetry, a more artistic (and more difficult) type of poetry, originated in Japan. Haiku tells a poetic story as succinctly as possible, employing imagery from nature and often irony. For help on how to compose haiku, see this or that.

The rules of this contest are simple: enter your original haiku or limerick poetry with an Adventist theme in the comments section below, and the best entries (selected by a panel of Adventist poetry lovers) will be featured in a post of their own here on the Spectrum blog. You may submit as many limericks or haikus as you like, so get started now! Here are a couple of Adventist-y examples to help get the creative neurons firing.

Limericks: An Adventist man had a daughter Who observed whatsoever he taught ‘er She knew Sabbath-keeping Was all about sleeping And not about getting in water

You have heard many stories of Ellen - How she took a large rock to the melon But her family’s estate Would be loathe to relate All the tales that Ron Numbers is tellin

Haiku: Cloud like a man’s fist Eastern sky growing darker Not the latter rain!

Budding birch resounds Cicadas sing shrill choruses The seven last plagues

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/892