How Healthy is Adventist Hermeneutics? Re-discovering the Biblical Complexity (1)

Well, there are two kinds of integrity. The first is the one who makes a statement and then defends it as “true” no matter what. Doesn’t matter if has been demonstrably false in reality. Rationalizations are invented as to why the statement is true.

So, if you read EGW apologetics, do they ever admit where she was wrong? Was she ever wrong? Should we understand where she was wrong or possibly wrong and put footnotes in her texts or should those text be sterilized again and again to make her always correct?

See that’s where the actual integrity comes to play. It seeks to recognize the wrong, admit it and move on with the right that’s left.

(George Tichy) #222

Some preachers should actually start utilizing this entertaining technique, to inject some life into their boring presentations… :roll_eyes:

I like the way you described the absurdity of those stories about some kind of supposed manifestations of supernatural power demonstrated by EGW. That some people believe in those fairy tales in 2018 is already mind boggling, but that they have the nerve of telling them to others, well, this is just an attestation of their own lack of mature discernment.

(Frankmer7) #223

Thank you so much. Very well said!

Frank

Kim,

Are you following the teachings of Richard Rohr, a Catholic priest?

Is this offensive to you?

I’d like to have Kim’s answer…

(Steve Mga) #227

Richard has a lot of great things to say.
Like his book Breathing Under Water. Have given several away.
The Divine Dance, another good one.

(Kim Green) #228

I am a “Follower” of Jesus Christ. I “grow” my spirituality from many sources, including Richard Rohr. I am also fond of the writings of Mathew Fox of which you may be familiar with. I take from them what is best…discarding the rest. I do the same with Ellen G. White’s writings as none of them are “perfect”.

(Kim Green) #229

Yes, he certainly does have a lot of great things to say. I believe that Rohr is one of the great spirituality teachers of our time. What have you gotten from his books, Steve? Have you read anything from Matthew Fox? I really love his book, “Creativity”.

(Kim Green) #230

I don’t know why you could not have answered the question without my reply…

Because it was not YOUR answer… I didn’t want to answer another question before having your answer.

Now you can answer my question, @Nymous.

(Kim Green) #233

You still could have replied…but your choice.

Offensive to me? No, Kim can follow whatever or whoever she wants… That’s her business.

But I think that there is a show of double standard here (not just from her only).

Kim asked Carol the following:

But she follows the teachings of a Catholic priest (maybe more) whose religion is full of unbiblical doctrines.

If she thinks that EGW’s writings aren’t biblical what can be said of the religious teachings and writings of the Catholic church?

If there is a big mess in Adventism that muddies the Gospel and if there is legalism in the SDA church, what can be said of the Catholic church and its doctrines (and what about the other denominations)?

But strangely I have never read any criticism, sarcasm, negative comment against the Catholic Church (if there is any they are so rare that I missed them). In fact, it’s quite the opposite.

But concerning EGW or the SDA church? Every occasion is good to shoot at them. It is open season all year long.

If we want to be critical, okay, there is no problem… but when we use double standards then maybe there is a problem.

(Cfowler) #235

I don’t comment about the Catholic Church because I’m not as familiar with them as Adventism and some others. From what I do know about Catholicism, it’s not a church that I would join, and I find some of their beliefs unbiblical. The Catholic Church is too political and there is a lot of corruption at the upper levels, IMO.

I don’t think that I use a double standard. I don’t know when I have.

(Kim Green) #236

"But she follows the teachings of a Catholic priest (maybe more) whose religion is full of unbiblical doctrines.

If she thinks that EGW’s writings aren’t biblical what can be said of the religious teachings and writings of the Catholic church?"

You are just too funny…I have already stated that I “keep the best…and throw out the rest” in which I was not excluding ANY person/denom of the spiritual reading that I do. I don’t find EGW/SDA or the RCC to have purity in doctrine. It is an equal playing field for me- which is something that you can’t claim.

"But strangely I have never read any criticism, sarcasm, negative comment against the Catholic Church (if there is any they are so rare that I missed them). In fact, it’s quite the opposite."

Just in case you have missed it…we talk and discuss mainly SDA affiliated conversational items. It isn’t about the RCC except in certain cases where it comes up. You have also not been on this site as a commenter as long as some of the rest of us have been and I can assure you that there has been “anti-RCC” talk/comments. So, you must have just missed it.

"If we want to be critical, okay, there is no problem… but when we use double standards then maybe there is a problem."

Still don’t see a “double standard”…

(Cfowler) #237

Are you referring to me? I don’t follow any teachings of a Catholic priest. Not saying there isn’t any value in what a Catholic priest may have to say, I just haven’t read very much from them. I did read “The Raggamuffin Gospel” by Brennan Manning (a former Franciscan priest) which I really loved. Now that I’m thinking about it again, I think I will pull that out and re-read it.

(Kim Green) #238

No…he is referring to me…see my response above.

(Cfowler) #239

I thought so, but…I was a bit confused by his response. I agree with your POV…take what is of value and leave the rest. That’s pretty much how I approach anybody that I read or listen to. I don’t know of anybody that I agree with 100% on everything.

(Kim Green) #240

Nope…not a one. He is stretching things because he is unacquainted with those like us. The best that he can come up with is to charge me with: “Double Standards”.