How Marvelous to be Embraced by Such a Love

(Spectrumbot) #1

And they took Jesus, and led Him away. And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha, where they crucified him, and two others with him.

Then the soldiers, when they had crucified Jesus, took his garments, and made four parts, to every soldier a part; and also his coat: now the coat was without seam, woven from the top throughout. They said therefore among themselves, Let us not rend it, but cast lots for it. These things therefore the soldiers did.

Now there stood by the cross of Jesus his mother, and his mother's sister, Mary the wife of Cleophas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus therefore saw his mother, and the disciple standing by, whom he loved, he saith unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then saith he to the disciple, Behold thy mother! And from that hour that disciple took her unto his own home.

After this, Jesus knowing that all things were now accomplished, saith, I thirst. Now there was set a vessel full of vinegar: and they filled a sponge with vinegar, and put it upon hyssop, and put it to his mouth. When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost.

And after this Joseph of Arimathaea, being a disciple of Jesus, besought Pilate that he might take away the body of Jesus: and Pilate gave him leave. He came therefore, and took the body of Jesus. And there came also Nicodemus, which at the first came to Jesus by night, and brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about an hundred pound weight. Then took they the body of Jesus, and wound it in linen cloths with the spices. Now in the place where he was crucified there was a garden; and in the garden a new sepulchre, wherein was never man yet laid. There laid they Jesus.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/6732

(Terrill Utt) #2

Well said! I was reminded as I read your article that the central theme of Christ’s mission to Earth was to reveal His Father, the truth about God’s Character and government of love. In his lfe, death and resurrection, Jesus unmasked Satan, restored God’s image in our race, gained the victory over death and opened the channel by which we can be healed and restored to God’s family. When we look at Jesus on the cross, we are seeing how “God pulled back the curtains” to reveal what sin has done to His heart. When we look into the eyes of Jesus, we are seeing the face fo God. To answer your question about why Jesus chose to do what He did for us, we can be fully confident in the reality that it is because God is like that. Happy Easter weekend. Thank you again for your thoughts.

(Sirje) #3

Tonight on the National Geographic Channel @8:00 Eastern Daylight Time; and on Sunday at the same time - Killing Jesus

(Thomas J Zwemer) #4

The words 'It is Finished" are the most important words ever spoken. they exceed the words that brought life to plant earth. What was finished was the fulfillment of the Covenant of Redemtion or the Everlasting Covenant. The angels could now fly in the midst of heaven having the Everlasting Gospel of Grace.

The very sad story is that the LGT says it ain’t finished until I am finished. Tom Z

(Phillip Brantley) #5

Having read my good friend’s homily several hours ago, I am still thinking about the insights and unresolved mysteries he discusses and provokes in my own mind.

And I am doubly astounded to think that the pain, the debasement and the humiliation presenting itself to my wooden senses is but a rough approximation of what sin has caused in the heart of God. Thank you for this beautiful homily today.

(Allen Shepherd) #7

Very fine essay. We celebrate Easter and Christmas. However, Jesus did not ask us to do that. No mention in the Bible about these two holidays.

But he did ask unto celebrate his death each time we had communion. "Ye do celebrate his death till he come.’ That is the only thing he asked us to do regarding his death. Why?

It was the greatest act the universe had ever seen. Greater than the creation or resurrection. The resurrection was natural to God, I mean after all, he could just speak and the world teamed with life. But Death?? Not natural to God at all. In fact the antithesis of God. But he embraced it, and made it his. He became sin for. us. The very thing he hated most. And he took death to be his, winning the domain of the Serpent, invading his very capital, the heart of his kingdom, and wrenching the keys of hell from his powerful hand. Oh Hallelujah!! But what a cost! The God of life surrenders it!

One thing I differ with the author about. This is EGW, but seems insightful. Early Writings seems to indicate that it was not without a struggle that the Father surrendered his son. and, It seems that Satan had been unmasked at Gethsemane, and Jesus could have returned to heaven allowing us to bear out own sin. He however, decided to die for us. See chapter of DofA, Gethsemane. So, it seems maybe more than a reflex. But I like that idea, love was so innate that it just happened. I am worried that the idea does not take into account the real difficulty of the act and the horror of it all.

This whole thing astounds and humbles me. I am the one for whom this was done. And I am a dirty sinner. And so I am drawn from the dust and told to stand up, for I am one of the beloved who was worth all that trouble to Him. Oh, my oh my…

(Martin H Weber) #8

Thank you for this thoughtful essay. Amid all the intense and complex discussion–which we need–it’s good also to relax, look up to the cross and just sit in wonderment about such love.

(Kent Hansen) #9

Beautifully written, Jeff. You lift the gaze of my mind and heart to Christ.

“Love so amazing, so divine,
Demands my soul, my life, my all.”
– Isaac Watts

(jeremy) #10

i think it was a reflex action that brought christ to our world, but i don’t think it was a knee-jerk reflex…i think it was a conscious, deliberate and authentic decision from a heart that couldn’t have made any other choice, even though it knew there was that option…

(Mike) #11

Thanks Jeff - Great and thought-provoking article. The only Easter message I came across within my local Adventist community.

(Kim Green) #12

Beautifully written with thoughtful questions and reflections. Thank-you.

(Andrew) #13

I agree with what you are saying. Not about celebrating Easter though. It’s so much fun doing Easter Egg hunts!

(Andrew) #14

These words have such a calming effect. It gives a deep sense of profound relief.

(Tom Loop) #15

This is such a beautiful piece to read that it brings tears to my eyes. Would that we all would behold the love of Jesus in this crowning display as he paid the ultimate price that we might have eternal life.