If Age Is Just a Number

In turning thirty this year, I have been labeled “old guy” by my students as a new form of joking along the central bald joke theme. I have taken to wondering about our usage of age in church for a while now, bolstered by my special education training. For teachers, especially those that work in special needs, age has little to do with our view of students. Some measurements still do include how a particular student’s ability aligns with their peers, but it is not as determinative as it once was. I do share from Canadian, and more specifically, British Columbian educational thinking, one that seeks to mold learning to the needs and interests of individual students as opposed to the slightly antiquated American standards-based approach.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11794
3 Likes

Excellent!
As a teacher, mom. and grandmother, it’s obvious that information needs to be age appropriate; however, we tend to dumb-down faith based teaching. As an only child, I spent a lot of time around adults when growing up. I loved listening to adult conversations. Then, as a teen and attending SS for the first time, it all felt somewhat juvenile. I think it’s about talking down to kids.

While the words will have to be modified, the thoughts can’t be twisted because we don’t think the kids would understand. Listening in on a primary SS class, I had to cringe when the kids were told “Jesus loves good little boys and girls.” That’s not the same as saying, “Jesus loves for His little boys and girls to be good.” I have to add, that we hardly ever refer to God when talking to young kids, and even older ones. We always tell them about Jesus loving them, but they hardly ever about “God”. The result is that God is exacting, and Jesus is the loving one. And that idea extends into adulthood.

I had near-fatal cancer 12 year ago. But I got over it. Like Harry Potter, I’m the boy who lived. So, I view every new day as a bonus.

I like to think of age as an achievement level, like a video game.

I made Level 55!! I’m getting close to Level 56!! Yea me!

9 Likes

Why does any one of any age leave a denomination whose foundation is the quicksand also known as “Mrs. White’s Writings”!?!?

A better question is why does anyone stay?

The answer to which question I find to be simple.

People stay for all the wrong reasons; fear of change, inertia, mental stagnation, emotional immaturity, cultic infatuation, dogmatic tendencies, superstition, a preference for speculations about the purportedly miraculous over natural-but-mundane real life, institutional brainwashing, arrogance, inability to admit mistakes, fear of losing their jobs, narcissistic “holier than thou” thinking, belief in the supernatural over scientific skepticism, a wishful mindset that wants to think that things will change, hope that god will forgive their presumptive sin of “going along to get along”, loss of fellowship with friends, ostracism from family, fear that the second coming might actually happen…someday, dismissive attitude toward those who can’t or won’t overlook EGW’s glaring deceitfulness or anyone who “just doesn’t get it”, personal agendas, “mommy or daddy is a minster/saint” issues, “But I wouldn’t get to play ‘special music’ anymore,” an irrational fear of one’s maker, etc., etc., etc.

And if anyone thinks the picture I paint is too bleak, read some of the past comments in this forum from diehard SDA’s.

Or check out some of the responses that may come when EGW sycophants try to refute this comment.

If one finds brotherly love rather than a bunch of sardonic, cherry-picked “proof-texting”, senses human humility rather than abject Adventist Arrogance, or discovers a preference for simple compassion over hyper-criticism and over intellectualization in even a few of them, I’ll renew my subscription to The Review and Herald and eat my copy of “A Lazy Man’s Guide to Enlightenment”!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

3 Likes

Yes to all of the above.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.