Is Red Wine Really Good for Your Health?

(Roman) #21

Ok, here are simple examples of what I am referring to. The Bible uses words, such as “bread” and “meat.” For a 21st century reader, these phrases refer to bread as food made of grains and meat as in animal tissues. In the Hebrew Bible though, these words may mean bread and meat but they may also simply mean “food.” So, when we read God promising Israelites that in the Promise Land they will eat “bread without scarcity, it would be simply inconsistent with the intent of the author to interpret this promise as eating grain based bread. Moses is simply contrasting Israelites’ wilderness experience, during which they did experience hunger, by saying that in the Promise Land, there will be plenty of food.
Here is another example. In the Book of Daniel, we literally read that Daniel and his friends were “fatter,” compared to those who did not refuse to eat from the king’s table. We can understand it literally, as Daniel and his friends were fatter, unless you know what being fatter in the Hebrew language mean.
There are many similar examples in the Bible. You may be familiar with “days,” meaning “years,” “name,” meaning a “character, a kiss, meaning an outpouring of love, etc. etc. Clearly, understanding “days” as “days” in certain passages will not be consistent with the meaning of a given passage. In the same way, it is necessary to understand other biblical words, phrases, and idioms, in other to understand the intend of the text. So, we can superficially read the text and understand that John the Baptist was a drunkard, while Jesus was not (or the other way around), or we can dig into the meaning of the text, word, idiom and understand what it meant to a Hebrew in the ancient time. It makes a world of difference.

(Roman) #22

It is a wishful thinking to believe that alcohol drinking within recommendation decreases risk of CVD by 20%.
Actually, the cancers listed are among the most frequent cancers. This is especially true of breast and colon. The others, such as oral cavity and pharynx, are among the hardest to treat with high mortality rate. Also, CVD mortality has been declining ever since 1970s, while cancer mortality has been on the rise.
Even if one assumes that alcohol drinking reduces the risk of CVD by 20%, which is highly doubtful, you have to add other detrimental problems, and, these include more than just health problems. I am a son of an alcoholic father and so, I can speak from my personal experience.
The point is this: even if one assumes alcohol drinking has some benefits in CVD reduction, one must consider that 1) the same can be achieved by other means and 2) there are potential unwanted side effects.
Lastly, using your rational, I can make a very good case for smoking. Considering 70% or so of Americans are obese or overweight, and considering smoking (nicotine) increases one’s metabolism, smoking can do more good than harm. Or, couldn’t we achieve similar benefits than nicotine does by other means?

(Brad(Luna)) #23

Of course context matters. My argument isn’t based on the verses alone, but rather the fact that the alcohol positive texts are speaking of alcohol…in the context. For example during the wedding feast where Jesus turned water into oinos, the same word used for the wine the people ran out of during the feast and in that cultural context was fermented wine. You would have to insert 19th century teetotalist ideas into the text to get the idea that he made grape juice.

That’s my problem with the Adventist prohibition against it. It seems more based on 19th century moral outrage than what the text actually says.

@Cobalamin

Wrt to the cancers, please reference your chart: The % increase in the upper GI are what goes up spectacularly with increased alcohol, and as I’ve stated, those are rare cancers, even with alcohol. Colon cancer goes up at the lowest of all on the chart, and breast more, but nowhere near what oral does. The rates suggested for “healthy” alcohol consumption are around 1-2 drinks/day (women at 1 IIRC), so that is around 12-24g/d so the increased risk of colon cancer will be near zero (you don’t even show 12g/d) , and breast cancer would be perhaps 10-15%.

One needs to do a careful risk analysis to decide what makes sense. And sure, I’m well aware of the risk of addiction, which is something that many prescription drugs carry as well. Nobody says the world is a simplistic place.

(Tammy Roesch) #25

What an EXCELLENT article! Really do appreciate it! Have lots of people to share it with!

(George Tichy) #26

[quote=“vandieman, post:8, topic:15931”]
given the ministry of egw…
[/quote]

Oysters, only oysters… :innocent: :grinning:

(George Tichy) #27

I’m in your boat Steve. No alcohol, ever. No smoking, no drugs at all. Whole life clean.

(Anne Marbury) #28

The link above is worth a read if you have a woman in your life who has not yet had children and is unaware of the real risk of using alcohol before her first pregnancy. This was a fascinating look at research that has been kept from the general public, but which has been known for decades by scientists. I’m actually surprised that SDAs haven’t been more involved in bringing out this long known research. Maybe they have and I just am not aware of it. Does anyone know?

The author mentions that when she was being counseled on nutrition after being diagnosed with breast cancer at a fairly young age, she was never counseled to consider eliminating alcohol from her diet. She now feels this was a glaring omission. She said that there are many commonly believed nutritional “facts” that have far less evidence behind them than the well-researched fact that alcohol is a carcinogen. (An example she gave was the advice to eat a lot of broccoli.)

Interestingly, the author says she is hesitant to share this information with others because alcohol is so important socially and many women do not want to know that they should give it up before they have children. Killing the messenger is a real risk! The alcohol industry has made an organized and concerted effort to keep this information from the public and has engaged in a campaign to get more women to drink liquor and wine in the last 30+ years.

Look up the author’s whole article in MJ for a more in depth read. Some of what I’ve mentioned is from that article.

(Roman) #29

An update. The World Cancer Research Fund jointly with the American Institute for Cancer Research have just released their newest update on cancer prevention. In it, among other things, we read: “alcoholic drinks increases the risk of cancers of the mouth, pharynx and larynx; oesophagus (
squamous cell carcinoma) and breast (pre and postmenopause)” and “Our Cancer Prevention Recommendations – for preventing cancer in general – include maintaining a healthy weight, being physically active and eating a healthy diet. For cancer prevention it’s best not to drink alcohol” and “For some cancers, there is an increased risk with any amount of alcohol consumed, whereas for other cancers the risk becomes apparent from a higher level of consumption, of about two or three drinks a day (about 30 or 45 grams of alcohol per day)” and “Alcoholic drinks include beers, wines, spirits, fermented milks, mead and cider. The consumption of alcoholic drinks is graded by the International Agency for Research on Cancer as carcinogenic to humans” and “The Panel judges that alcoholic drinks are a cause of various cancers, irrespective of the type of alcoholic drink consumed.”

(George Tichy) #30

This is very good. Can you provide any link to this material?
Thanks.

(George Tichy) #31

Thanks for the link. Very helpful
Alcohol is by far the biggest health problem in our society. It’s also a major killer. But the alcohol industry is financially so strong that they can literally have killed anyone who would dare to fight them. And our politicians… well, no further comment is necessary, is it?.. :wink:

(Kade Wilkinson) #32

Isn’t the current US President a teetotaler?

(George Tichy) #33

Yes, he is. Just imagine what it all would be like if he drank … :upside_down_face: