Is the Church Already Unified on the Issue of Women’s Ordination?

(Allen Shepherd) #181

I knew this would cause a stir. You guys can’t resist the bait.

There is a young woman at my church, great preacher, did a sermon while 9 months pregnant on her struggle having a child. Very moving. Excellent sermon. Has delivered the baby now. Not interested in ordination.

I, the epitome of toxic masculinity and male patriarchy, encouraged her, and mentored her. She loves me and i love her. Almost named the baby after me, (its a girl, but the middle name was almost Shepherd, a bit awkward…),

She does not need ordination to do God’s will, she just does it…

Did you read the rest of the post or just the last line??

Except that this was the natural result of the curse of sin just like working by the sweat of your brow, pain in child birth ect.

By you level of thinking then men should only work in an environment that causes them to perspire and women should never be allowed pain killers in childbirth.

We are smart enough to know better that this and so should you.

Trolling again are we? Baiting people to cause discord…you are very predictable and a distraction

(Kim Green) #184

No…I cannot resist the “bait” and I read the WHOLE thing, Allen. And I did not just skip to the last sentence or two. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Allen Shepherd) #185

Is this some kind of criticism? You and the others are as predictable as the dawn. I just showed it.

Baiting i.e. trolling are not virtues to be espoused or compatible with Christ-likeness.

This forum should not be used to troll and is against the Use Policy.

(George Tichy) #187

This appears to be always true… about WOMEN, of course!
According to some men, and many ORDAINED male ministers, women don’t need ordination, they can do the job just fine without it.
Of course, of course,… sure…

(Alice C ) #188

What I don’t understand is why, if women are more likely to choose caregiving professions, that makes them ineligible and/or unqualified to be (ordained) pastors/shepherds. Many of the responsibilities of pastors are related to caregiving. As for the other responsibilities of pastors, many women in many professions demonstrate those traits as well.

One reason for not ordaining women pastors (if they qualify and desire it) is to prevent them from following God’s leading in their lives. Why would we want to do that.

(Kim Green) #189

Allen, we have trodden this pathway before- with no changes on either side. You shouldn’t have to prescribe Zoloft for yourself.

It was great that you mentored her- it was her choice not to go further. The point is God that distributes the talent and every person should have the opportunity to follow and develop their gifts. Those who want to exclude women are stopping the gift of Fruit to the SDA church.

(Kim Green) #190

So true, Alice. Pastoral duties are much like a religious “Social Worker”.

(reliquum) #191

Perhaps a fluvoxamine trial instead? :wink:

(Kim Green) #192

LOL…could work better, and if he could get enrolled in a true trial- the company should pay for everything. A win/win! :wink:

(Tim Teichman) #193

What are the other motives?

Yes, benefit of the doubt is my default.

(Tim Teichman) #194

Yes, I have had it too. The kind of things Allen writes reflect the things I don’t like about the church I grew up in.

I am amazed at how people twist scripture. Gen. 3:14-19 is God making pronouncements and judgments on how things were to be from that point on. One could assume things were not this way prior to this time.

1. First to the serpent. cursed, make to crawl on belly, promise of Jesus who would stomp on his head and kill him.
  2. Second to the woman. You will experience sorrow, (something not known up to that time. Consider how she felt at finding Abel dead. )
    Childbearing will be painful…probably pain was a new experience also.
    Your husband will be ruler over you (headship ) check I Cor. 11:3 Eph. 5: 22,23 Col. 3:18
    Paul affirms this point. ( I know you may not like what Paul says)
  3. Third to Adam…The ground will not produce like it has before and you will have to work harder
    to get your food.
    Plants will change.
    You will die and go back to the dust where you came from.

That is how I understand God’s pronouncements and judgments. I looked up five commentaries on Gen. 3:16 and all said the woman was put under subjection to her husband when prior to that it was not so. So it was God who changed her position, not Adam. That is a key point. It was not a natural result of sin, contrary to your point. It was God’s judgments.
I will assume when Jesus restores things back to his original plan, all these judgments will be erased.

Ok, yes that is indeed what the quote alright but you did not respond to the points raised.

To be honest I am not sure what your point is other than to confirm the obvious. Please review the comment I made again.

(George Tichy) #197

This is why I have avoided engaging with him. He wants to spin indefinitely around the same pole, just repeating the same nonsense to justify discrimination of women.
What a “load,”…

(Ian m fraser) #198

Maybe the Potomac and other local conferences in the Columbia Union should set up compliance committees to examine the local churches where the GC officers hold their local church membership. Are the practices of these churches in full compliance with the church manual and the fundamental beliefs? Including election of delegates to the local and union conference constituency.

(George Tichy) #199

Yes, let’s start by investigating the investigators… :laughing:

However, so far I haven’t heard of any real investigating action by the GC, have you?
Maybe they are planning to have the AC/2019 in Constance (??), and it will be called Council of Constance… where some “heretics” will be “investigated” and, most probably executed as Huss and Jerome were… (early 1400s)

All possible. Remember that under TW our Church has been going backwards in time. In October it hit 1844 - with beards!!!:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:
Therefore, in Oct/19 we may well be hitting as back as the early 1400s… There is, at the GC, enough “retrograde mentality” for such to happen. :open_mouth:

(Ian m fraser) #200

Is the Potoma c Conference ensuring that all its local churches comply with FB #14?

Unity in the Body of Christ Z14
The church is one body with many members, called from every nation, kindred, tongue, and people. In Christ we are a new creation; distinctions of race, culture, learning, and nationality, and differences between high and low, rich and poor, male and female, must not be divisive among us. We are all equal in Christ, who by one Spirit has bonded us into one fellowship with Him and with one another; we are to serve and be served without partiality or reservation. Through the revelation of Jesus Christ in the Scriptures we share the same faith and hope, and reach out in one witness to all. This unity has its source in the oneness of the triune God, who has adopted us as His children. (Ps. 133:1; Matt. 28:19, 20; John 17:20-23; Acts 17:26, 27; Rom. 12:4, 5; 1 Cor. 12:12-14; 2 Cor. 5:16, 17; Gal. 3:27-29; Eph. 2:13-16; 4:3-6, 11-16; Col. 3:10-15.) U