Jason Hines on Racism and Reconciliation — Adventist Voices

In this episode of Adventist Voices, I ask Adventist Forum board member Jason Hines about his recent column for Spectrum "Liberation and Reconciliation." We discuss Black Liberation Theology, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission in South Africa, and how Adventism might address the race-based inequalities in our community. Jason Hines teaches at AdventHealth University in Orlando, FL. He holds a doctorate in Religion, Politics, and Society from Baylor University, a Master’s in Religion from the Seminary at Andrews University, a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School, and a Bachelor’s in Political Science from the University of Connecticut.

Listen to this Adventist Voices podcast episode on iTunes, Stitcher, and Simplecast, or below.

We hope you enjoyed this episode of Adventist Voices! Remember to subscribe on iTunes!

Alexander Carpenter is a board member of Adventist Forum, the organization that publishes Spectrum.

Image credit: SpectrumMagazine.org

We invite you to join our community through conversation by commenting below. We ask that you engage in courteous and respectful discourse. You can view our full commenting policy by clicking here.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/9806

Jason and Alex, Thank you for this conversation. I was intrigued by Jason’s idea that he is not seeking to be successful in the sense of changing something. Instead, I think, he is saying that the important thing is to name, accurately, what is happening. In that way, we do not lose track of reality of what lead us to this point. The goal of changing things may be too much for one person, or group, to tackle. However, anyone with a voice (Adventist Voice) can serve as a grounding point to tether the conversation to reality.

The other point that will stick with me is the idea that it is the oppressor (or one in power) who must come to the table willing to sacrifice. Such a gesture will free others at the table to exhibit grace. Too often, this mechanism is reversed with no one giving one inch. I think of Don Livesay at Lake Union who did apologize several years ago…

1 Like

I left South Africa in opposition to apartheid, because of my experiences as a white intern at the 2000 bed Baragwanath Hospital ( segregated for blacks by the Apartheid regime — it was a teaching hospital affiliated with my medical school , which had an enrollment of ten per cent non white students ) —

— i was a white intern and my Asian collègue with the same medical degree from the same medical school, working the same shifts, received only two thirds of my salary

My black colleague, with identical degree and working shifts, received only one third my salary because of his race!

We also in our surgical ward, that year ( 1960 ) treated the victims of the Sharpeville massacre. — multiple blacks shot by white police , who claimed that the blacks were attacking them — analysis of the gunshot wounds found all bullet entry wounds to be in the victims’ backs — proving they were fleeing the police, not attacking them.

The very able professionals — black nurses, black doctors who worked with me had zero voting rights in the country, despite their professional abilities, and merely because of their race.

For these reasons I emigrated, and many years later, Nelson Mandela came to power and the Truth and Reconciliation Commission occurred, which I applauded.

I revere one of the greatest statesmen on the planet, Nelson Mandela, South Africa’s first black president, and one of the greatest current churchmen, Bishop Desmond Tutu. ( black South African Anglican Church priest ).

1 Like

Hi Carmen,
Don Livesay’s and his wife Barbara first church back in the late 70’ was my church in PTC, GA. As with all first time pastors there was a learning curve.
I never witnessed any racial comments or innuendos by Don or that he was a “white nationalist.” I guess only he knows his heart or he was making some “corporate church” apology for the SDA church.
I know he was a good softball player 40 yrs. Ago.:slight_smile:
Pat

1 Like

Hi

I know and love Don and Barbara as well. I think he wanted to offer a corporate apology. Best—-

1 Like

I’m not sure referring to the Truth and reconciliation commission is a good idea. With the farmers being slaughtered on a daily basis and the economy on course being a basket case in just a few years.

Never mind your exaggeration of farmers being slaughtered every day, are you suggesting that the Trith and Reconciliation is the cause of the incidents you cite?