Jessica Christa, Savior of the World

In Pain You Shall Bring Forth

When was the moment you knew—that critical juncture at which you realized your gender and the implications it would have on your role in society, your family, and future relationships? I am grateful that this present generation is much more comfortable talking about the spectrum of gender identity and gender expression. Some of you reading this might identify as a man or a woman or as non-binary. More specifically, you might identify as a cis-gendered man, or a transgender woman, or as gender non-conforming. As I reflect on Women’s History Month, I wonder how one’s gender assigned at birth often comes with expectations for ways we will express that gender according to the cultural constructs surrounding it.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11732
2 Likes

Beautifully written Kendra.

Your section entitled “Jessica Christa, Savior of the World” was particularly powerful. I am used to progressive theologians pointing out the ways women are empowered by the text. But, reimagining the biblical narrative as women centered confronted me as a cisgender male with just a hint of the discomfort and emotions of being marginalized.

This should help us all to be more empathetic.

3 Likes

Thank you for this feedback! I’m really glad that imagining a world where the Bible was written with all female leads created a compassionate connection. Thank you for taking the time to read the article and for holding space :pray:t4:

1 Like

I would tend to say that if a child does not know if they are a male or female by the age of two then the parents have been very poor communicators. Certain body parts can easily be described but the actions such as wrestling and climbing trees do not belong to any certain gender like body parts do. Once the child is old enough to begin learning biology and sciences then they can begin to understand the part chromosomes play.
Fiction in this writing seems to only lead to one thing. Doubt. Sorry if that seems offensive, but that’s how I see it.

1 Like

This issue has at long last been opened, but there is still so much education needed. Thank you for your part in furthering the conversation.

1 Like

This statement does not seem relevant to the article.

1 Like

Thanks for this article, which I have enjoyed sharing with my daughters. They are keenly aware of the male biases in Scripture’s text and the structure of most churches, which you highlight so well. My responses of, “The Bible was advanced for its day,” and, “Our church is regressing on this issue,” have been inadequate for them. Hopefully they can be inspired by your distinctly female lead to not just notice the problems but be their own stories of strong women with faith.

2 Likes

Our world is a mess! It is what it is - and what it is is not what it would have been if Adam and Eve had not sinned in the beginning.

I am what I am partially because of the reality of my birth, partially because of the molding caused by the world around me, and partially because of my choices.

I cannot and should not judge what others ARE. To SOME extent I can judge what they do, but never what they are.

I have a tendency to look for excuses to make myself look better than I am.

We are all on a journey through this valley of the shadow. Love and Grace are gifts that we should accept and share.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.