Keep Pressing On… And On: A Response to Ted Wilson’s Adventist World Article

(Johnny Carson) #21

And it’s interesting to note that these things are grass roots movement. They’re taking place in spite of regressive teaching, false doctrines, and coercive policy emanating from the highest levels of the denomination, not because of it.

(Johnny Carson) #22

Exactly. To insist otherwise would seem to be the height of arrogance. “I will be like the most high.”

(Elmer Cupino) #23

Very telling as to our highly esteemed GC president’s mental structures. Had “the” woman just obeyed God, we’d all still be in the Garden.

A perfect example of focusing on the trees instead of the forest. The reason there is sports in our SDA schools is for community outreach.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #24

Ted doesn’t believe in competitive sports but loves competitive theology. a very dangerous game.

(Eric Webster) #25

I think sports can play an important part in witnessing for Christ and for present truth. I started jogging at the age of 40 until 60. At 60 I ran my first full marathon race and joined an athletic club. You need to do that in South Africa in order to easily participate in races. I have been running marathon and other races for 30 years. During that time Adventists obtained special permission to run the Two Oceans race on Friday rather than on Saturday. This was a great act of grace on the part of the Two Oceans Committee. For 29 years I have run this race on the Friday and it has been a wonderful testimony for Christ and the Sabbath during that whole period. Our race was slotted in with the main race (attracting over 20,000 runners) and was counted as one. The Adventist running community has had a wonderful opportunity to witness in South Africa during all these years. There is nothing as powerful as a living testimony. It can be just as powerful if not more so than a tract. We are encouraged to mingle with others and once we have made friends, invite them to follow Christ. If we isolate ourselves from society what good are we to others?
If I as a 60 or 90 year old I could benefit from the sport of jogging why should I withhold legitimate and controlled sport from young academy students with all their pent-up energy. They like me can use their sport as a wonderful testimony for Christ, if they are dedicated to Him.

(Thomas J Zwemer) #26

I ran the mile in college… someone had to finish last it fit my name Zwemer. I did the 35 mile hike with full field pack at Fort Benning and hitch hiked to Columba’s to roller skate.

(Kim Green) #27

LOL…YES! It appears to be one of the world’s oldest dangerous “games” and still alive and kicking. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

(Kim Green) #28

And then…there is the aspect of encouraging activity at a younger age so that it continues until one is not able to do it anymore. Just go to a typical NAD congregation and take a look around…it doesn’t appear as if the “Health” message is being utilized very well.

(Johnny Carson) #29

Nothing new there. Looked the same when I was growing up in the 60’s.

(Tim Teichman) #30

Spot on! And I’ll add it makes him seem dim-witted or at least dismissive and uncaring.

(Tim Teichman) #31

Yes, that’s a revolting statement. And in any case, you cannot find “she left herself open to the serpent’s deceptions” anywhere in the story. Ted seems to have forgotten that before one ate of the tree of knowledge of good and evil - according to the text - Adam and Eve were unable to tell the difference between good and evil. They had no conscience, in other words. How can a person with no conscience knowingly sin? And if one doesn’t know they are sinning, then are they sinning?

What was that snake doing there in any case? Maybe Ted can find that in his literal reading of the text.

(Johnny Carson) #32

Wilson also conveniently ignores the part of the Genesis 3 story, specifically Genesis 3:6 that says that Adam was standing there at the tree with her for the occurrence. It’s a little thing, really. Just deceive or attempt to deceive by the tiny little sin of omission.

I’m sure Ted doesn’t mean to but it’s the same as taking the Apple, isn’t it? Eve didn’t really understand the consequences till afterward. Maybe Ted doesn’t truly understand the consequences either.

(jeremy) #33

well, i don’t get the feeling TW’s dim-witted…but i do think he’s definitely coming across as dismissive and uncaring…he’s not getting that discrimination is wrong, which means it’s a sin…he’s thinking that because africa with its wife-beating culture is shrugging off WO - totally oblivious to the damage their votes at san antonio have caused - the rest of the church should accept this, and move on…but the rest of the church isn’t going to accept headship and move on, any more than the apostolic church would have accepted things and moved on had the apostles forced the gentiles into circumcision…

(Tim Teichman) #34

Then that’s worse. If he’s intelligent to the point that he knows how he’s impacting the church, then he purposely harming the church.

If Christ has largely not return due to the remnant within the “remnant” not being ready? Then is that same group to be held at least partly responsible for the misery and destruction that has occurred since that time? Just saying…

(LINDA F TAYLOR) #36

You must not read the SOP. She explains all that the Bible does not include!

Does your player piano have any other tunes?

Are you complaining about Tom’s classic theme of the Gospel of Grace? “The Christ Event,” as he often calls it?

(George Tichy) #39

Oh no, they won’t take any responsibility. They will always blame us, the sinners… :wink:

(George Tichy) #40

I don’t get it. What are you saying? What is missing in the Bible?