Leadership in a Box

On October 9, 2021, Adventist Church President Ted Wilson delivered his now much debated Sabbath Sermon just prior to the Annual Council business meetings in Silver Spring, Maryland. Entitled “Trust God’s Prophetic Word in the Coming Conflict,” it was a 14 point review of what Wilson considers “aberrant beliefs” facing the church, followed by his definition and reaffirmation of the Three Angels’ Messages. Two days later, three additional presentations were given, at Wilson’s request. The first, delivered by Mark Finley, covered 10 points of theological concern, mostly overlapping Wilson’s earlier 14 points.[1]

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11478
2 Likes

From my limited perspective the leadership is only in a box that precludes correction–because there is only a few scattered voices of descent. It appears that nearly every pastor and church leader is publicly silent. Do local churches discuss these issues? NO. Furthermore since tithe and offerings are increasing it appears that the majority of members are in support of the ideas of the leadership or at best indifferent. When church structure is not threatened by opposition voices, leadership appears to be on top of the box. I am sure that they are preparing for new leadership to take control with the same agenda. All is well in the direction of the church.

2 Likes

The present hierarchy and their theology is a totally closed system. A feedback loop that admits nothing from outside itself.

The stuff of cults.

Frank

7 Likes

I think Ted Wilson’s words are enough proof that Adventism is a Cult. But since I’m a member, I guess It’s my Cult too. However I don’t agree with most of what he said.

6 Likes

Frank, I agree with your view. For a couple of years it has been a continuous challenge for me to be a member of a church with judgemental GC leadership and restrictive belief arguments. In his book (I read it in 2017) “Facing Doubt: A Book for Adventist Believers On the Margins” Reinder Bruinsma dedicated to the issue “Staying or Leaving” which motivated me to stay a member of the SDA church - at least so far - although I do not agree with all 28 FB. I am grateful for Spectrum Magazine and Atoday that provide a platform for free and open conversation.

8 Likes

For the GC president: “In every age there is a new development of truth, a message of God to the people of that generation. The old truths are all essential; new truth is not independent of the old, but an unfolding of it. It is only as the old truths are understood that we can comprehend the new. When Christ desired to open to His disciples the truth of His resurrection, He began “at Moses and all the prophets” and “expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning Himself.” Luke 24:27. But it is the light which shines in the fresh unfolding of truth that glorifies the old. He who rejects or neglects the new does not really possess the old. For him it loses its vital power and becomes but a lifeless form.” – {COL 127.4}

1 Like

i think we may be seeing a tacit acceptance of WO by TW…notably, it isn’t listed among his 14 aberrations, all of which i agree with…

3 Likes

Thanks for the article. It is an assessment that is a welcome observation of the times we live.

Sadly, the Adventist Church focuses on the 3 Angels Message ignores Revelation 14:1-5, the description of the 144,000. In contrast to the call to leave Babylon in the 3 Angels Message, it appears God wants those in the 3 Angels Message to move into the 144,000. Hence there is not a call to leave the 3 Angels Message. One of the reasons I remain in the church.

The three descriptions are 1) a pure woman which equates to doctrinal purity. The tie to the 3 Angels Message that follows. This does not mean that everything we learned historically is correct. I recall a GC vote in 1888 was a bit out of harmony with Scripture. 2) They follow Jesus wherever He goes. This implies that you can be a member in good and regular standing (Church Manual talk) in the 3 Angels Message and not follow Jesus fully. 3) They do not use guile, literally fish bait, figuratively deception. Again, this implies that you can be a member in good and regular standing in the 3 Angels Message and still use guile.

The three issues I face most in the church are bad doctrine, not following Jesus fully, and the use of deception to get the vote desired. For me, Revelation 14:1-5 is present truth. We cannot move forward until we realize our understanding of Scripture did not stop in 1915 with the death of our prophet.

And this is just one of many changes I believe the 3 Angels Message needs to embrace in order to become a movement again.

1 Like

I too think that after reading it. For me it was full of brainwashing basically it told all its members not to think and just submit to anything they say.

1 Like

imagine old Noah preaching a judgement message for 120 years!the hour of judgement was upon that generation but they found it ridiculous until it “rained” and there was no shelter in any prior arguments

we dont need to be adventist to know that judgement is certain …it is a fantasy to think that ecclesiastics 3:17 has no fulfilment follow up.Paul points two groups of believers(romans 14:10 and 2corinthians 5:10) who were judging each other and judging Pauls ministry and he points them to a higher tribunal to which “ALL WILL APEAR before Christ s judgement SEAT”…these verses were not loose texts with no fulfilment…even evangelical churches suddenly see that there is a “judgement of saints” and the wicked without using daniel 7 or 8 and they see different outcomes …no condemnation to them which believes but a rewarding process as in zachariah 3:1-5 with white robes,…the rewarding message is also seen in revelation 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels, …even for those martyred we hear their rewards in … revelation 6-.11 And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellow servants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

non adventists hear this text… Acts 17:31
For he has set a day when he will judge the world with justice by the man he has appointed. He has given proof of this to everyone by raising him from the dead.”
Can anyone do a count down to that appointed time?

you dont need to be adventist to see these verses .the judgement scene in daniel 7 is a pre advent judgement scene …even if readers focused on little horn being judged the point is the scene is preadvent…for those who actually read the text and see a verdict in favour of saints they will also see that… that verdict is given pre advent too…judgement is a double header …who was accused in that court room and who was accusing ?..we know the winner in the announcement …Daniel watched …until the Ancient of Days arrived and pronounced judgment in favor of the saints of the Most High, and the time came for them to possess the kingdom…i can’t believe the fallacy of arguments we make to remove saints in the court room and just announce their win in the announcement …!..revelation 11:1 shows us the “sheep”(worshippers) passing under the Shephered s rod as was in Ezekiel 20:37-38 with purging out of the “wicked sheep” not to return to ( heavenly Jerusalem in revelation 11:1 and earthly jerusalem in ezekiel 20:37) jerusalem.The Shephered examines to see which sheep are really his… The rod is used to examine the sheep…He checks His mark!thats a judgement scene in revelation 11:1…revelation 11:2 postpones the judgement of the wicked until revelation 20:12 onwards …in Daniel 8 little horn fully knows that Christ had a"daily" post calvary worth usurping…we scholars start with a “yearly” i.e DOA in AD31 while little horn knows thats not true …which means Christ has to be ministering to His church (* candlestick*) supplying with lamps(Holy Spirit see revelation 4:5) while seated at table of showbread throne and also interceding for saints at altar of incense and sending warning rebukes to Gods people s enemies as trumpets …revelation chapter 1- to revelation 11:18 captures Christ s “daily”…UNTIL THE YEARLY SERVICE! in next verse!..thats not adventist!..its in the texts!..wait long enough and the baptists will preach it!

in symbols the most inner shrine of the sanctuary where ark of covenant is seen is opened in revelation 11:19…the inner most veil is in revelation 11:19…behind the second veil!!!we dont need to be adventist to see hebrews 8 saying … in 3 Behind the second curtain was a room called the Most Holy Place, 4 which had … the gold-covered ark of the covenant…which means second veil is in revelation 11:19!

in revelation 4:5 the “lamps” and opposite the “lamps” is the position of the throne on “table of showbread” in revelation 4:5 is in Holy Place…its not rocket science but very kindergarten that revelation 4 and 5 is the reception of Christ s arrival in heaven as He sat at His Fathers throne and begin to control until he put his enemies under his feet as seen in later chapters in revelation …one can see that the sanctuary in heaven does not have inanimate objects of golden cherubim and lamps…but realities …the lamps actually represent the Holy Spirit ( see revelation 4:5) and these lamps(HOLY SPIRIT) in heaven were SENT DOWN to the lamp stands(church) seen in revelation 1:12 and that sending down took place in revelation 5:6…seven eyes =seven lamps =Holy Spirit sent to earth!

how can the placing of lamps on lampstands( done at pentecost) be a Most holy place event…really ?..i see articles written here missing the simple symbols…
at Revelation 5:6 Christ places 7lamps on 7 lampstands which is pentecost and we miss the symbolism of pentecost while bent on trying to prove thats hebrews 6:19 means veil to Most Holy Place when actually Johns s camera angle in revelation 4 and 5 disproves that through a veil /door leading into Holy Place …we dance on rigidity of words like “behind the veil” and miss Johns s camera angle which needs no argument .Christ is received by the Father in ad31 into the Holy Place…Johns imagery in revelation 4 and 5 places Christ in Holy place in those chapters …when adventist dont like these texts we kill the sanctuary in heaven and say it does not exist yet little horn knows its worth usurping that service in heaven on earth …little horn laughs at us .he rolls his chair and laughs at our so called learned presentations … when adventists reject scripture of sanctuary in heaven they remove Holy Place and remain with Most hOLY PLACE and ignore the presence of symbols which belong to Holy place…we even kill the two phases of Christ s ministry by the pen!..PAUL will be upset when we dont read hebrews 9 and listen to his definitions of furniture symbols taken from exodus list there … john will be very upset when we dont hear his use of those symbols …John is saying to us…look at the sanctuary in heaven…see the Father and the Holy Shekina glory in the HOLY PLACE in chapter 4:5 positioned at what was the table of showbread for Moses and opposite that throne is the HOLY SPIRIT as seven lamps …John is saying don’t forget i showed you where the lampsatnds were in chapter 1:12 and now in revelation 5:6 i show you Christ inaugurated as Lord(seen horns ) and as High Priest( seven eyes) and i show you Him sending the LAMPS to the lampstands!..clealy a holy place for PENTECOST event!..John is saying Look how glorious the heavenly sanctuary is!..Moses s one was a shadow indeed!..has any one seen 24 thrones in Holy place in Mose sanctuary ?..yet in heavenly one we see them!..we see live cherubims and seraphims around the the throne not golden rigid inanimate imitates .we dont see angels on curtains in heavenly sanctuary but a number of real angels we cannot count! …that sanctuary is glorious !Moses could never have built it any way but a shadow gives us the pan of redemption nonetheless !..! …we recognise the throne is NOT FIXED where the ark of covenant was as was with Moses and the throne is actually at the table of showbread as Jesus arrived in ad31…Christ s ministry is superior …HE takes us into the presence of the Father directly in HOLY PLCE!the plain reading of the text in revelation 4 shows a pre-pentecost preparation of reception of Jesus in chapter 4 and and inauguration pentecost celebration in revelation chapter 5!!! and Peter in ACTS 2 affirms that heavenly event in his sermon !

the disciples did their countdown to pentecost …lets do our countdown to “day of atonement”( day of judgement) and stop being lazy and conflate DOA to calvary …in the shadowy literal jews calendar the ACT of atonement(passover ) and the DAY of atonement were related but were events separated by seven months… hence “symbolic seven months” was prophetic of a time between fulfilled passover to fulfilled DOA leading to fulfilled feasts of tabernacles …what kind of reading confuses the once and all sacrifce of calvary which satisfies all sacrifices and confuses the actual events …Day of pentecost sacrifices were fulfilled at Calvary but the event of pentecost still needed to happen by having Christ move from earth to heaven…and that event WAITED 50 DAYS LATER …even though the PENTEOCST sacrifices were FULFILLED AT the cross …SO Day of atonement sacrifices were fulfilled at the cross but actual DOAevents fulfilment takes place near the second coming of Christ !..its not adventist but biblical!..what does the DOA restore ?..who does it vindicate?..the DAO ends with goat of azazel in revelation 20:1-3…thats not adventist that is just biblical …we must accept our blindness to simple symbols in revelation and we have made premature conclusions on some subjects …carry on with your antiocus epiphanes reading of daniel 8:14!..very soon we will be pronouncing a curse on anyone reading daniel 8:14 to 1844 just as the JEWS pronounced a curse on anyone reading daniel 9 and seeing the Messiah first coming …what are we doing writing poor book of revelation expositions!..i am disappointed !

Thank you for sharing… your opinion.

This topic was automatically closed after 7 days. New replies are no longer allowed.