Let Them Grow

Over the past few months, I have been thinking a lot about how we can improve our churches. (I think some of this train of thought is in response to the process of fully returning to church attendance in the wake of the worst of the pandemic.) Ruminating on this subject made me think of the story in the book of Luke. In Luke 13:6-9 Jesus tells what seems to be a straightforward parable. A master owns a vineyard with a fig tree that has not borne fruit for three years. When he then decides to have it destroyed, the keeper he has hired to take care of the vineyard intervenes. He asks the master for one more year. The vineyard keeper wants to dig around it, fertilize it, and give it another chance to bear fruit.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at http://spectrummagazine.org/node/11771
2 Likes

I’ve agreed with this philosophy for some time. But it is hard to persuade some people/members that we’re all growing in Christ and only the Holy Spirit understands how difficult growth can be. Thank-you for stating it so well.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 14 days. New replies are no longer allowed.